* Unable to build with gcc 6 because of etherboot
@ 2016-09-08 14:38 Daniel E. Shub
From: Daniel E. Shub @ 2016-09-08 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

This is a follow on to a message I sent to xen-users:
https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg01924.html

I am trying to compile Xen 4.7.0 with gcc 6.1.1, but I get an error
related to etherboot. It was suggested to update the etherboot
Makefile to the head of the etherboot repository. Another possibility
would be to just pull in the gcc 6 patches from upstream (e.g.,
https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git?a=search&h=refs%2Fheads%2Fmaster&st=commit&s=gcc+6).

For 4.6.0 and gcc 5 the recommendation was to just pull in the patches
(cf. https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg01924.html)
but to update the etherboot version at some point. Is the recommended
course still to just patch as needed or has there been work to update
the etherboot version?

* Re: Unable to build with gcc 6 because of etherboot
@ 2016-09-14 10:32 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2016-09-14 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel E. Shub; +Cc: Wei Liu, xen-devel

On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 10:38:01AM -0400, Daniel E. Shub wrote:
> This is a follow on to a message I sent to xen-users:
> https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg01924.html
>
> I am trying to compile Xen 4.7.0 with gcc 6.1.1, but I get an error
> related to etherboot. It was suggested to update the etherboot
> Makefile to the head of the etherboot repository. Another possibility
> would be to just pull in the gcc 6 patches from upstream (e.g.,
> https://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git?a=search&h=refs%2Fheads%2Fmaster&st=commit&s=gcc+6).
>
> For 4.6.0 and gcc 5 the recommendation was to just pull in the patches
> (cf. https://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2015-08/msg01924.html)
> but to update the etherboot version at some point. Is the recommended
> course still to just patch as needed or has there been work to update
> the etherboot version?

To fix your issue immediately, pulling in a patch is ok. You are welcome
to submit a patch against xen-unstable for that if you have time.

Because ipxe doesn't do regular release so I don't really know what to
pull in.

Long term it might be useful for user to just supply a ipxe binary when
building xen.

Wei.