* Is boa still a decent choice for an embedded web server?
@ 2012-04-02 21:45 Bob Cochran
From: Bob Cochran @ 2012-04-02 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

*** apologies: I accidentally sent this out the first time on the wrong
OE (commits) list ****

Hello Group,

I would appreciate any thoughts about the relevancy & security of boa
for an embedded system that needs to support up to several active web
requests at a time.

The code is getting old and some of the system calls are deprecated or
obsolete (e.g., gethostbyname()).

Apache appears to be overkill for what we're doing.

Ultimately, our web server won't just serve static pages but also serve
a low volume of python / django pages, too.  I realize that CGI
performance with boa is bad, but it seems that there are options to
increase performance over simply exec'ing the python scripts.

Thanks,

Bob

* Re: Is boa still a decent choice for an embedded web server?
@ 2012-04-03  7:44 ` Enrico
From: Enrico @ 2012-04-03  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 11:45 PM, Bob Cochran
<openembedded@mindchasers.com> wrote:
> Hello Group,
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts about the relevancy & security of boa for an
> embedded system that needs to support up to several active web requests at a
> time.
>
> The code is getting old and some of the system calls are deprecated or
> obsolete (e.g., gethostbyname()).
>
> Apache appears to be overkill for what we're doing.
>
> Ultimately, our web server won't just serve static pages but also serve a
> low volume of python / django pages, too.  I realize that CGI performance
> with boa is bad, but it seems that there are options to increase performance
> over simply exec'ing the python scripts.

Did you already try/evaluate lighttpd? I'm using it on an arm board,
but security is not my main concern.

Enrico

* Re: Is boa still a decent choice for an embedded web server?
@ 2012-04-03 10:49 ` Samuel Stirtzel
From: Samuel Stirtzel @ 2012-04-03 10:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

2012/4/2 Bob Cochran <openembedded@mindchasers.com>:
> *** apologies: I accidentally sent this out the first time on the wrong OE
> (commits) list ****
>

> Hello Group,
>
> I would appreciate any thoughts about the relevancy & security of boa for an
> embedded system that needs to support up to several active web requests at a
> time.

You can be almost sure that it will not meet (any) security
anticipation, if Wikipedia is correct about the last release date.

> The code is getting old and some of the system calls are deprecated or
> obsolete (e.g., gethostbyname()).
>
> Apache appears to be overkill for what we're doing.
>
> Ultimately, our web server won't just serve static pages but also serve a
> low volume of python / django pages, too.  I realize that CGI performance
> with boa is bad, but it seems that there are options to increase performance
> over simply exec'ing the python scripts.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Bob

Maybe Cherokee is worth a try.
It looks simple to configure,  don't know how secure it is.
But I also don't know your expectations of "how secure it has to be" anyways.

--
Regards
Samuel