* YUV422 input to CPI?
@ 2012-04-19 21:56 Simon Knopp
From: Simon Knopp @ 2012-04-19 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all,

I have a camera module capable of outputting YUV422 over a parallel interface. I've been having some issues interfacing this to a Gumstix. Reading through the OMAP3530 tech ref, I'm now beginning to wonder whether it is actually possible to input YUV422 to the CPI?

-  Section 12.1.1 mentions RGB and YeCyMgG for "image sensors"; YUV is only mentioned for CS1&2.
-  On the other hand, 12.4.6.1 says that the CCDC accepts YUV data in numerous formats.

Is anyone able to confirm whether it's possible to input YUV422 to the CPI?

Thanks,
Simon
http://p.sf.net/sfu/Boundary-d2dvs2

* Re: YUV422 input to CPI?
@ 2012-04-20 10:26 ` Enrico
From: Enrico @ 2012-04-20 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Simon Knopp
<simon.knopp@pg.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a camera module capable of outputting YUV422 over a parallel interface. I've been having some issues interfacing this to a Gumstix. Reading through the OMAP3530 tech ref, I'm now beginning to wonder whether it is actually possible to input YUV422 to the CPI?
>
> -  Section 12.1.1 mentions RGB and YeCyMgG for "image sensors"; YUV is only mentioned for CS1&2.
> -  On the other hand, 12.4.6.1 says that the CCDC accepts YUV data in numerous formats.
>
> Is anyone able to confirm whether it's possible to input YUV422 to the CPI?

Yes it's possible but yuv support is still not in mainline kernel.

Have a look at the linux-media ml archive to know what is the current
status, problems etc...basically if you don't need bt656 support you
can try the omap3isp-omap3isp-yuv branch at [1].

Enrico

[1]: http://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git

* RE: YUV422 input to CPI?
@ 2012-04-22 14:11   ` Hiremath, Vaibhav
From: Hiremath, Vaibhav @ 2012-04-22 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 15:56:46, Enrico wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 11:56 PM, Simon Knopp
> <simon.knopp@pg.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have a camera module capable of outputting YUV422 over a parallel interface. I've been having some issues interfacing this to a Gumstix. Reading through the OMAP3530 tech ref, I'm now beginning to wonder whether it is actually possible to input YUV422 to the CPI?
> >
> > -  Section 12.1.1 mentions RGB and YeCyMgG for "image sensors"; YUV is only mentioned for CS1&2.
> > -  On the other hand, 12.4.6.1 says that the CCDC accepts YUV data in numerous formats.
> >
> > Is anyone able to confirm whether it's possible to input YUV422 to the CPI?
>
> Yes it's possible but yuv support is still not in mainline kernel.
>
> Have a look at the linux-media ml archive to know what is the current
> status, problems etc...basically if you don't need bt656 support you
> can try the omap3isp-omap3isp-yuv branch at [1].

During one of the internal releases, I have added YUV (BT656) support, it is
based on 2.6.37 based kernel, but still it will give you pointer and help
you to change the code to get support for the same.

I have created separate, clean and independent patches for
adding support for BT656 YUV support.

http://arago-project.org/git/projects/?p=linux-omap3.git;a=history;f=drivers/media/video/isp;hb=20c003f2f024d9f50f59edf9f1b8f5f035fb15b8

Thanks,
Vaibhav

@ 2012-04-23  3:18     ` Simon Knopp
From: Simon Knopp @ 2012-04-23  3:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hiremath, Vaibhav, Enrico

On 23/04/2012, at 2:11 AM, Hiremath, Vaibhav wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 15:56:46, Enrico wrote:
>>
>> Yes it's possible but yuv support is still not in mainline kernel.
>>
>> Have a look at the linux-media ml archive to know what is the current
>> status, problems etc...basically if you don't need bt656 support you
>> can try the omap3isp-omap3isp-yuv branch at [1].
>>

> During one of the internal releases, I have added YUV (BT656) support, it is
> based on 2.6.37 based kernel, but still it will give you pointer and help
> you to change the code to get support for the same.
>
> I have created separate, clean and independent patches for
> adding support for BT656 YUV support.
>

> http://arago-project.org/git/projects/?p=linux-omap3.git;a=history;f=drivers/media/video/isp;hb=20c003f2f024d9f50f59edf9f1b8f5f035fb15b8
>

> Thanks,
> Vaibhav
>
>> Enrico
>>
>> [1]: http://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git

Thanks Enrico and Vaibhav.

My current setup uses an old version of the isp code for kernel 2.6.34 from a patch in the linux-omap3-caspapx OpenEmbedded recipe for Gumstix (not ideal, but I need gstreamer dsp support). I'm not sure which commit/branch/tree/patchset this is based on, but it turns out it does support YUV.

Regards,
Simon.

* RE: YUV422 input to CPI?
@ 2012-04-23  5:24       ` Hiremath, Vaibhav
From: Hiremath, Vaibhav @ 2012-04-23  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 08:48:35, Simon Knopp wrote:
> On 23/04/2012, at 2:11 AM, Hiremath, Vaibhav wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 15:56:46, Enrico wrote:
> >>
> >> Yes it's possible but yuv support is still not in mainline kernel.
> >>
> >> Have a look at the linux-media ml archive to know what is the current
> >> status, problems etc...basically if you don't need bt656 support you
> >> can try the omap3isp-omap3isp-yuv branch at [1].
> >>

> > During one of the internal releases, I have added YUV (BT656) support, it is
> > based on 2.6.37 based kernel, but still it will give you pointer and help
> > you to change the code to get support for the same.
> >
> > I have created separate, clean and independent patches for
> > adding support for BT656 YUV support.
> >

> > http://arago-project.org/git/projects/?p=linux-omap3.git;a=history;f=drivers/media/video/isp;hb=20c003f2f024d9f50f59edf9f1b8f5f035fb15b8
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Vaibhav
> >
> >> Enrico
> >>
> >> [1]: http://git.linuxtv.org/pinchartl/media.git
>
> Thanks Enrico and Vaibhav.
>
> My current setup uses an old version of the isp code for kernel 2.6.34 from a patch in the linux-omap3-caspapx OpenEmbedded recipe for Gumstix (not ideal, but I need gstreamer dsp support). I'm not sure which commit/branch/tree/patchset this is based on, but it turns out it does support YUV.

That's even closer then, it would be easier to back port from 2.6.37 to
2.6.34. And as I said, refer to it as a reference or pointer to backport it,
and patch commit description should help you to understand this.

Thanks,
Vaibhav

> Regards,
> Simon.

* Re: YUV422 input to CPI?
@ 2012-04-23  7:31     ` Enrico
From: Enrico @ 2012-04-23  7:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hiremath, Vaibhav; +Cc: linux-omap

On Sun, Apr 22, 2012 at 4:11 PM, Hiremath, Vaibhav <hvaibhav@ti.com> wrote:
> During one of the internal releases, I have added YUV (BT656) support, it is
> based on 2.6.37 based kernel, but still it will give you pointer and help
> you to change the code to get support for the same.
>
> I have created separate, clean and independent patches for
> adding support for BT656 YUV support.
>
> http://arago-project.org/git/projects/?p=linux-omap3.git;a=history;f=drivers/media/video/isp;hb=20c003f2f024d9f50f59edf9f1b8f5f035fb15b8

>From the known issue:

"- stream on works with interlaced artifacts on screen"

Do you know if it's possible to do something in hardware for this?
Right now i'm doing software deinterlacing, maybe something can be
done in omap3 isp or tvp5151?

Enrico