* [Printing-architecture] PDF workflow, cupsaddsmb, and Windows clients
@ 2015-08-24 14:56 Alex Korobkin
From: Alex Korobkin @ 2015-08-24 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: printing-architecture

Hi all,

Is there any adoption of PDF workflow in the Windows world?
I used to have a setup like this:
PostScript-based printers on CUPS are exported to Windows clients with
cupsaddsmb, and happy Windows clients just point and print easily.

How that I'm trying to switch my PPDs to PDF-based ones (written with PJL
commands), this setup no longer works.

Is there a solution better than uploading a manufacturer-provided driver
for each printer? Ideally, something as automatic as current
cupsui6/cupsps6.dll is, one that could take a PJL-based driver and build a
UI around it to show to a Windows client?

--
-Alex

* Re: [Printing-architecture] PDF workflow, cupsaddsmb, and Windows clients
@ 2015-08-24 15:36 ` Ira McDonald
From: Ira McDonald @ 2015-08-24 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Korobkin, Kennedy, Smith (Wireless Architect),
	Michael R Sweet, Ira McDonald
  Cc: printing-architecture

Hi Alex,

I've copied Mike Sweet (Apple, CUPS) and Smith Kennedy (HP, all things
printing-related) on this reply.  I hope they can reply with more detail
about
Windows printing.

But I'd like to point out that CUPS PPD API was deprecated in CUPS 1.6
and PPDs in general are deprecated legacy in CUPS 2.0.  PDF workflow
in Linux, UNIX, and elsewhere is based on generic print clients using direct
printer queries for printer capabilities and current defaults (IPP
Everywhere).

PPD-based printing solutions are destined to disappear in the future.

Cheers,
- Ira

Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
mailto: blueroofmusic@gmail.com

@ 2015-08-24 15:59   ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2015-08-24 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ira McDonald; +Cc: Smith Kennedy, printing-architecture

Alex,

The Windows print system is based on Microsoft's XPS format, which is functionally the same as PDF but requiring different tools/filters.

I know Ghostscript and mupdf have XPS support, but I don't know of anyone that has either written the necessary CUPS filters nor the corresponding Windows drivers (which need to comply with some unfortunately strict Microsoft licensing...)

@ 2015-08-24 17:28     ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2015-08-24 17:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet, Ira McDonald; +Cc: Smith Kennedy, printing-architecture

On 08/24/2015 12:59 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
> Alex,
>
> The Windows print system is based on Microsoft's XPS format, which is functionally the same as PDF but requiring different tools/filters.
>
> I know Ghostscript and mupdf have XPS support, but I don't know of anyone that has either written the necessary CUPS filters nor the corresponding Windows drivers (which need to comply with some unfortunately strict Microsoft licensing...)

One should check how well Ghostscript performs as XPS
interpreter/converter If it does well, the needed CUPS filter would be a
simple wrapper around Ghostscript, which we would name xpstopdf and
after that we get the usual pdftopdf and then pdfto<whatever the printer
needs>.

    Till

* Re: [Printing-architecture] PDF workflow, cupsaddsmb, and Windows clients
@ 2015-08-24 18:11       ` Alex Korobkin
From: Alex Korobkin @ 2015-08-24 18:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Till Kamppeter; +Cc: Smith Kennedy, printing-architecture

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 1:28 PM, Till Kamppeter <till.kamppeter@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 08/24/2015 12:59 PM, Michael Sweet wrote:
>
>> Alex,
>>
>> The Windows print system is based on Microsoft's XPS format, which is
>> functionally the same as PDF but requiring different tools/filters.
>>
>> I know Ghostscript and mupdf have XPS support, but I don't know of anyone
>> that has either written the necessary CUPS filters nor the corresponding
>> Windows drivers (which need to comply with some unfortunately strict
>> Microsoft licensing...)
>>

> One should check how well Ghostscript performs as XPS
> interpreter/converter If it does well, the needed CUPS filter would be a
> simple wrapper around Ghostscript, which we would name xpstopdf and after
> that we get the usual pdftopdf and then pdfto<whatever the printer needs>.

GhostScript 9.16 is great at XPS to PDF conversion. Older versions had some
bugs, but more recent ones are good at it.

I don't see how we could integrate that with printer options, though. Let's
say I want a user to be able to select a stapling option. One cannot inject
PJL commands into an XPS job I suppose?

--

@ 2015-08-24 18:47         ` Michael Sweet
From: Michael Sweet @ 2015-08-24 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Korobkin; +Cc: Smith Kennedy, printing-architecture, Till Kamppeter

Alex,

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 2:11 PM, Alex Korobkin <korobkin+op@gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't see how we could integrate that with printer options, though. Let's say I want a user to be able to select a stapling option. One cannot inject PJL commands into an XPS job I suppose?

That's why you put the options in a job ticket that is transmitted in parallel with the document data...

* Re: [Printing-architecture] PDF workflow, cupsaddsmb, and Windows clients
@ 2015-08-25 18:44           ` Alex Korobkin
From: Alex Korobkin @ 2015-08-25 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Sweet; +Cc: Smith Kennedy, printing-architecture, Till Kamppeter

On Mon, Aug 24, 2015 at 2:47 PM, Michael Sweet <msweet@apple.com> wrote:

> Alex,
>
> > On Aug 24, 2015, at 2:11 PM, Alex Korobkin <korobkin+op@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > I don't see how we could integrate that with printer options, though.
> Let's say I want a user to be able to select a stapling option. One cannot
> inject PJL commands into an XPS job I suppose?
>
> That's why you put the options in a job ticket that is transmitted in
> parallel with the document data...

Right, this is the case when you connect to the printer via IPP. However,
when one adds a printer via IPP in Windows, it cannot select a driver
automatically (or I couldn't figure out that step). That's why I'd prefer
to connect to it via Samba, but with Samba the job options do not work.

________________________

@ 2015-08-25 18:47             ` Till Kamppeter
From: Till Kamppeter @ 2015-08-25 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Korobkin, Michael Sweet; +Cc: Smith Kennedy, printing-architecture

On 08/25/2015 03:44 PM, Alex Korobkin wrote:
> Right, this is the case when you connect to the printer via IPP.
> However, when one adds a printer via IPP in Windows, it cannot select a
> driver automatically (or I couldn't figure out that step). That's why
> I'd prefer to connect to it via Samba, but with Samba the job options do
> not work.

Windows seems to be missing IPP Everywhere (ask printer/CUPS server for
PDLs and options via IPP and then present the options in print dialog
and send the job in one of the PDLs with the users settings as IPP
attributes) support.

    Till