* Few questions about Ceph
@ 2012-12-10 19:17 Alexandre Maumené
From: Alexandre Maumené @ 2012-12-10 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hello all,

I have a few questions about Ceph:

1) Is it possible to run a cluster with "some" lantecy between monitor
nodes? Latency will be 30ms at worst.

2) When using RBD what are the best practices for a direct mount using
XFS filesystem? And for a qemu/kvm devices? I'm thinking about
writeback, rbd_cache, ...

3) About the CRUSH map, how can I separate 2 pools on different OSD?
I'd like to setup a cluster with different disks (like SATA/SAS) and I
want to be able to specify on which disks (or OSD) my data are going
to be write.

Thanks in advance for any answer.

* Re: Few questions about Ceph
@ 2012-12-10 22:01 ` Joao Eduardo Luis
From: Joao Eduardo Luis @ 2012-12-10 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Maumené; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 12/10/2012 07:17 PM, Alexandre Maumené wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a few questions about Ceph:
>
> 1) Is it possible to run a cluster with "some" lantecy between monitor
> nodes? Latency will be 30ms at worst.

For the monitor, yes, that latency is acceptable. In between them, the
monitors are pretty permissive with the timeouts they establish, so 30ms
should be okay. If it goes much higher than that however, you may start
noticing some clock drifting related messages. Anyway, you should be fine.

   -Joao

* Re: Few questions about Ceph
@ 2012-12-10 22:22 ` Samuel Just
From: Samuel Just @ 2012-12-10 22:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandre Maumené; +Cc: ceph-devel

3) Forgive the style, it'll be going into the docs shortly :)

It's possible to have multiple independent crush heirarchies within the same
crush map.  Suppose you want to have pools default to osds backed by large
spinning disks but have some pools mapped to osds backed by fast ssds:

  device 0 osd.0
  device 1 osd.1
  device 2 osd.2
  device 3 osd.3
  device 4 osd.4
  device 5 osd.5
  device 6 osd.6
  device 7 osd.7

       host ceph-osd-ssd-server-1 {
               id -1
               alg straw
               hash 0
               item osd.0 weight 1.00
               item osd.1 weight 1.00
       }

       host ceph-osd-ssd-server-2 {
               id -2
               alg straw
               hash 0
               item osd.2 weight 1.00
               item osd.3 weight 1.00
       }

       host ceph-osd-platter-server-1 {
               id -3
               alg straw
               hash 0
               item osd.4 weight 1.00
               item osd.5 weight 1.00
       }

       host ceph-osd-platter-server-2 {
               id -4
               alg straw
               hash 0
               item osd.6 weight 1.00
               item osd.7 weight 1.00
       }

       root platter {
               id -5
               alg straw
               hash 0
               item ceph-osd-platter-server-1 weight 2.00
               item ceph-osd-platter-server-2 weight 2.00
       }

       root ssd {
               id -6
               alg straw
               hash 0
               item ceph-osd-ssd-server-1 weight 2.00
               item ceph-osd-ssd-server-2 weight 2.00
       }

       rule data {
               ruleset 0
               type replicated
               min_size 2
               max_size 2
               step take platter
               step chooseleaf 0 type host
               step emit
       }

       rule metadata {
               ruleset 1
               type replicated
               min_size 0
               max_size 10
               step take platter
               step chooseleaf 0 type host
               step emit
       }

       rule rbd {
               ruleset 2
               type replicated
               min_size 0
               max_size 10
               step take platter
               step chooseleaf 0 type host
               step emit
       }

       rule platter {
               ruleset 3
               type replicated
               min_size 0
               max_size 10
               step take platter
               step chooseleaf 0 type host
               step emit
       }

       rule ssd {
               ruleset 4
               type replicated
               min_size 0
               max_size 10
               step take ssd
               step chooseleaf 0 type host
               step emit
       }

       rule ssd-primary {
               ruleset 4
               type replicated
               min_size 0
               max_size 10
               step take ssd
               step chooseleaf 1 type host
               step emit
               step take platter
               step chooseleaf -1 type host
               step emit
       }

You can then set a pool to use the ssd rule by:
ceph osd pool set <poolname> crush_ruleset 4

Similarly, using the ssd-primary rule will cause
each pg in the pool to be placed with an ssd as
the primary and platters as the replicas.

-Sam

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Alexandre Maumené
<alexandre@maumene.org> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have a few questions about Ceph:
>
> 1) Is it possible to run a cluster with "some" lantecy between monitor
> nodes? Latency will be 30ms at worst.
>
> 2) When using RBD what are the best practices for a direct mount using
> XFS filesystem? And for a qemu/kvm devices? I'm thinking about
> writeback, rbd_cache, ...
>
> 3) About the CRUSH map, how can I separate 2 pools on different OSD?
> I'd like to setup a cluster with different disks (like SATA/SAS) and I
> want to be able to specify on which disks (or OSD) my data are going
> to be write.
>
> Thanks in advance for any answer.
>
> Regards,

* Re: Few questions about Ceph