From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: Dmitry Safonov <0x7f454c46@gmail.com>,
	James Simmons <jsimmons@infradead.org>,
	Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>,
	Stephen Rothwell <sfr@canb.auug.org.au>
Cc: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks@vt.edu>,
	Oleg Drokin <oleg.drokin@intel.com>,
	Andreas Dilger <andreas.dilger@intel.com>,
	lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org
Subject: Re: next-20151101 - depmod issues with Lustre modules
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 14:30:44 -0800	[thread overview]

On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 12:37 PM, Dmitry Safonov <0x7f454c46@gmail.com> wrote:
> Reproduced on mainline v4.3-9038-g27eb427bdc0960 with
> Arch Linux default config (attached):
>
> depmod: ERROR: Found 2 modules in dependency cycles!
> depmod: ERROR: Cycle detected: lnet -> libcfs -> lnet
> make: *** [_modinst_post] Error 1

The reason seems to be that

 - lnet.ko provides the following functions needed by libcfs.ko:

    libcfs_next_nidstring
    libcfs_nid2str_r

 - libcfs.ko provides the following functions needed by lnet.ko:

    libcfs_debug
    libcfs_debug_msg
    libcfs_deregister_ioctl
    libcfs_register_ioctl
    libcfs_subsystem_debug
    lustre_insert_debugfs

but I may have messed up something.

Anyway, the problem seems to be that - insanely - lnet.ko provides
those libcfs nid handling functions. They should be in libcfs, as far
as I can tell, just judging by the name. Also judging by the use.

The cause seems to be commit 47ca6ec2673e ("staging: lustre: move
nidstring handling to LNet layer") by James Simmons.

I do wonder if linux-next could perhaps do some modprobe testing too?

                      Linus

From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@linux-foundation.org>
To: lustre-devel@lists.lustre.org
Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2015 14:30:44 -0800	[thread overview]