* New pull request?
@ 2022-07-21  8:23 Loïc Boissy
From: Loïc Boissy @ 2022-07-21  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-firmware; +Cc: Eric Debief, Yoann Lubiato

Hello,
I am Loïc BOISSY. I work for Digigram company in France.
Digigram is an audio card manufacturer for professional customers.

Our old cards used specific firmware files.
These files were provided by the alsa-firmware package.
But it seems that this package is now deprecated and replaced by
linux-firmware package.
Do you confirm that?

If yes, How can we push our firmwares files? Just by sending them to you?

Regards,
Loïc
--
<http://www.digigram.com/>
*Loïc BOISSY*

office: +33 (0)4 76 52 53 16
<http://www.digigram.com/>  <https://www.facebook.com/Digigram.Official/>
<https://www.linkedin.com/company/digigram>  <https://twitter.com/digigram>
<https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFtzu31f6rbeFVssCBwWNvw>
<https://www.instagram.com/digigram.official/>

* Re: New pull request?
@ 2022-07-25 18:22 ` Josh Boyer
From: Josh Boyer @ 2022-07-25 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Loïc Boissy; +Cc: Linux Firmware, Eric Debief, Yoann Lubiato

On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 4:23 AM Loïc Boissy <boissy@digigram.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am Loïc BOISSY. I work for Digigram company in France.
> Digigram is an audio card manufacturer for professional customers.
>
> Our old cards used specific firmware files.
> These files were provided by the alsa-firmware package.
> But it seems that this package is now deprecated and replaced by linux-firmware package.
> Do you confirm that?

Generally speaking, new firmware that is used by drivers in the Linux
kernel would be added to the linux-firmware project under a license
that permits redistribution.

The alsa-firmware package still exists for some old cards and that
firmware hasn't been migrated to the linux-firmware repo.

> If yes, How can we push our firmwares files? Just by sending them to you?

If they are net new firmware files, you can follow the README file for
the project to send new submissions:

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/README

A pull request from a GitHub or Gitlab style git forge is also acceptable.

josh

* Re: New pull request?
@ 2022-07-26  6:57   ` Eric Debief
From: Eric Debief @ 2022-07-26  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josh Boyer; +Cc: Loïc Boissy, Linux Firmware, Yoann Lubiato

Hi Josh,

Thanks for your quick reply and your help.
We will follow your advice.

Could we come back to you if we have any questions ?

Best regards,
Eric.

Le lun. 25 juil. 2022 à 20:23, Josh Boyer <jwboyer@kernel.org> a écrit :

> On Thu, Jul 21, 2022 at 4:23 AM Loïc Boissy <boissy@digigram.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I am Loïc BOISSY. I work for Digigram company in France.
> > Digigram is an audio card manufacturer for professional customers.
> >
> > Our old cards used specific firmware files.
> > These files were provided by the alsa-firmware package.
> > But it seems that this package is now deprecated and replaced by
> linux-firmware package.
> > Do you confirm that?
>
> Generally speaking, new firmware that is used by drivers in the Linux
> kernel would be added to the linux-firmware project under a license
> that permits redistribution.
>
> The alsa-firmware package still exists for some old cards and that
> firmware hasn't been migrated to the linux-firmware repo.
>
> > If yes, How can we push our firmwares files? Just by sending them to you?
>
> If they are net new firmware files, you can follow the README file for
> the project to send new submissions:
>

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/README
>
> A pull request from a GitHub or Gitlab style git forge is also acceptable.
>
> josh

* Re: New pull request?
@ 2022-07-26 10:56     ` Josh Boyer
From: Josh Boyer @ 2022-07-26 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Debief; +Cc: Loïc Boissy, Linux Firmware, Yoann Lubiato

On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 2:57 AM Eric Debief <debief@digigram.com> wrote:

> Hi Josh,
>
> Thanks for your quick reply and your help.
> We will follow your advice.
>
> Could we come back to you if we have any questions ?

Yes, of course.

josh