* Question about patch "pinctrl: cherryview: Do not mask all interrupts on probe"
@ 2015-09-01 20:09 João Paulo Rechi Vita
From: João Paulo Rechi Vita @ 2015-09-01 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mika.westerberg; +Cc: linux-gpio

Hello Mika,

About a month ago I've sent a message [1] to linux-gpio querying about
the state of the patch mentioned on the subject, which you had sent
and later resigned. It seems I've failed to address my message while
trying to send it through gmane as a reply to the original message, as
it did not get to your attention.

[1] https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-gpio%40vger.kernel.org/msg09093.html

I'm working on a ASUS E202SA laptop, in which the brightness keys
depend on this patch to work. Are any plans to have it integrated, in
the original form or in any other?

João Paulo Rechi Vita
http://about.me/jprvita

* Re: Question about patch "pinctrl: cherryview: Do not mask all interrupts on probe"
@ 2015-09-02  7:36 ` Mika Westerberg
From: Mika Westerberg @ 2015-09-02  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Paulo Rechi Vita; +Cc: linux-gpio, yu.c.chen

On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 04:09:12PM -0400, João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:
> Hello Mika,
>
> About a month ago I've sent a message [1] to linux-gpio querying about
> the state of the patch mentioned on the subject, which you had sent
> and later resigned. It seems I've failed to address my message while
> trying to send it through gmane as a reply to the original message, as
> it did not get to your attention.

Looks like I never got that email.

> [1] https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-gpio%40vger.kernel.org/msg09093.html
>
> I'm working on a ASUS E202SA laptop, in which the brightness keys
> depend on this patch to work. Are any plans to have it integrated, in
> the original form or in any other?

Adding Yu to the loop.

Yu was investigating alternative ways to fix this. Did you come to
some conclusion?

* RE: Question about patch "pinctrl: cherryview: Do not mask all interrupts on probe"
@ 2015-09-02  8:06   ` Chen, Yu C
From: Chen, Yu C @ 2015-09-02  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 04:09:12PM -0400, João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:
> >
> > I'm working on a ASUS E202SA laptop, in which the brightness keys
> > depend on this patch to work. Are any plans to have it integrated, in
> > the original form or in any other?
>
> Adding Yu to the loop.
>
> Yu was investigating alternative ways to fix this. Did you come to some
> conclusion?

Once I wrote a quirk patch to re-enable gpio irq in Embedded Controller driver, and since
ec driver is loaded before pinctrl driver , I need to modify the patch to add a delay 'request_irq'
in ec driver, maybe a workqueue mechanism. Then I switched to some other bugs..
Yes, I'll continue this work recently, please stay tuned.
Thanks
Best Regards,
Yu

* RE: Question about patch "pinctrl: cherryview: Do not mask all interrupts on probe"
@ 2015-09-02  8:51     ` Zheng, Lv
From: Zheng, Lv @ 2015-09-02  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
> > On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 04:09:12PM -0400, João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm working on a ASUS E202SA laptop, in which the brightness keys
> > > depend on this patch to work. Are any plans to have it integrated, in
> > > the original form or in any other?
> >
> > Adding Yu to the loop.
> >
> > Yu was investigating alternative ways to fix this. Did you come to some
> > conclusion?
>
> Once I wrote a quirk patch to re-enable gpio irq in Embedded Controller driver, and since
> ec driver is loaded before pinctrl driver , I need to modify the patch to add a delay 'request_irq'
> in ec driver, maybe a workqueue mechanism. Then I switched to some other bugs..
> Yes, I'll continue this work recently, please stay tuned.

EC contains early initialization and late initialization.
During early initialization, IMO, you needn't do anything related to the gpio irq.
The late initialization is invoked in the ACPI driver probe callback.
You can locate gpiolib there before proceeding.
If gpiolib is not found, you can return EPROBE_DEFER in this case.
So what's the problem now?

Thanks and best regards
-Lv

@ 2015-09-02 14:06     ` João Paulo Rechi Vita
From: João Paulo Rechi Vita @ 2015-09-02 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chen, Yu C; +Cc: Mika Westerberg, linux-gpio, Zheng, Lv

On 2 September 2015 at 04:06, Chen, Yu C <yu.c.chen@intel.com> wrote:

> [...]

That's good news, thank you very much for the info! I'll keep checking
for updates about this on linux-gpio, but I can also do some testing
if needed, just let me know.

Cheers,

--
João Paulo Rechi Vita