* AMD Carrizo HDMI audio
@ 2016-06-09 19:14 João Paulo Rechi Vita
From: João Paulo Rechi Vita @ 2016-06-09 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher, maruthi.srinivas.b
  Cc: alsa-devel, maruthi.bayyavarapu, João Paulo Rechi Vita,
	dri-devel, Alex Deucher, linux

Hello Alex and Maruthi,

I'm trying to get HDMI audio working on a AMD CARRIZO laptop, which I
believe need the ACP changes which got merged into Linux 4.6. But
testing the v4.6 tag, amd_acp_hw_init() returns -ENODEV, because it
succeeds the "if (acp_mode != ACP_MODE_I2S)" test in acp_hw.c. Does
this mean this chip does not uses ACP, or is there anything else
missing?

lspci shows me the following gfx/audio devices (I believe this is a
dual-gpu machine):

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee
ATI Device 9874 (rev c5) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Device 9840
00:09.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 157a
03:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI Sun
[Radeon HD 8600M Series] (rev ff)

Both amdgpu and radeon get automatically probed. Sorry if I'm missing
something obvious here, I'm quite new to dual-gpu machines.

Thanks and best regards,

--
João Paulo Rechi Vita
http://about.me/jprvita

* Re: AMD Carrizo HDMI audio
@ 2016-06-09 19:26 ` Deucher, Alexander
From: Deucher, Alexander @ 2016-06-09 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'João Paulo Rechi Vita', Alex Deucher, maruthi.srinivas.b
  Cc: alsa-devel, Bayyavarapu, Maruthi, linux,
	João Paulo Rechi Vita, dri-devel

Your system does not use ACP.  It uses HDA audio.  You'll need to use the new DAL display code which is not yet upstream for HDMI or DP audio support.  You can find dal support on my freedesktop tree.  E.g.,
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=drm-next-4.7-wip-dal

Alex

* Re: AMD Carrizo HDMI audio
@ 2016-06-09 19:32   ` João Paulo Rechi Vita
From: João Paulo Rechi Vita @ 2016-06-09 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deucher, Alexander
  Cc: alsa-devel, Bayyavarapu, Maruthi, João Paulo Rechi Vita,
	dri-devel, maruthi.srinivas.b, linux

On 9 June 2016 at 15:26, Deucher, Alexander <Alexander.Deucher@amd.com> wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for such a quick answer! So that means no audio over HDMI/DP
without DAL, right? Isn't any legacy code that can take care of that?
I'll give it a try on your branch and report back if I have any
problems.

Best regards,

--
João Paulo Rechi Vita
http://about.me/jprvita

* Re: AMD Carrizo HDMI audio
@ 2016-06-10 15:40     ` João Paulo Rechi Vita
From: João Paulo Rechi Vita @ 2016-06-10 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deucher, Alexander
  Cc: alsa-devel, linux, João Paulo Rechi Vita, dri-devel

On 9 June 2016 at 15:32, João Paulo Rechi Vita <jprvita@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 9 June 2016 at 15:26, Deucher, Alexander <Alexander.Deucher@amd.com> wrote:

Still no sound with the branch you've pointed. Logs can be found here
in case you're interested:
https://gist.github.com/jprvita/7966532c7a4b67c74621c9374e20a418

--
João Paulo Rechi Vita
http://about.me/jprvita

* Re: AMD Carrizo HDMI audio
@ 2016-06-10 21:47       ` Andy Furniss
From: Andy Furniss @ 2016-06-10 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: João Paulo Rechi Vita, Deucher, Alexander
  Cc: alsa-devel, linux, dri-devel, João Paulo Rechi Vita

João Paulo Rechi Vita wrote:

> Still no sound with the branch you've pointed. Logs can be found here
> in case you're interested:
> https://gist.github.com/jprvita/7966532c7a4b67c74621c9374e20a418

You could try 4.6-wip-dal

https://cgit.freedesktop.org/~agd5f/linux/log/?h=drm-next-4.6-wip-dal

I don't know about Carrizo but my Tonga was Ok with that but not with 4.7