* DVB reliability problems
@ 2021-07-02 17:06 Tony Houghton
From: Tony Houghton @ 2021-07-02 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hi,

I've been having problems with my DVB receivers lately. I'm not sure
whether the problem is in the receivers or their firmware, or Linux.
Some symptoms point to the card, some point to Linux (because they
should try to prevent the system from hanging even with bad hardware
if the hardware is peripheral?). Perhaps the majority of USB DVB
receivers are actually useless junk?

I'm trying to develop a good DVB PVR, but if I can't fix these
problems there's not much point in continuing. I hope someone can
offer some suggestions on what's causing the problems and/or how I can
diagnose them better, and hopefully get things fixed.

Frequently one of them will stop working. The main symptom is that
after tuning they fail to get a signal. If I don't "fix" it asap by
power cycling the PC (reboot seems to be inadequate) the situation
seems to escalate until the entire system hangs, either when trying to
use the receiver or at shutdown.

The problems seem to have developed or exacerbated mainly since I
started using an Intel NUC as my PVR and therefore had to replace my
DVBSky PCI-E DVB-S2 card with a USB TeVii S662 DVB-S2. After a while
it started exhibiting the above symptoms with increasing frequency.
When it got to daily problems I returned it under warranty and
replaced it with a DVBSky S960 V2. IIRC it has the same Montage
chipset as the TeVii; this seems to be the only chipset commonly
available in USB DVB-S2 devices. At first, the change of device seemed
to cure the issue, but that's started doing the same thing too.

Meanwhile I've also been using a DVB-T2 USB stick. At first I had a
Pinnacle PCTV 290e. That worked quite well until it seemed to fail
completely (not even detected by lsusb). I replaced it with a
"Geniatech MyGica DVB-T2/T USB" which I think uses the si2168/si2157
modules. This one's also unreliable.

--
TH