* [Buildroot] [U-Boot] Craneboard with Uboot and xloader
@ 2012-02-24  9:25 ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I want to use Buildroot for CraneBoard...

My problem is with configuration files : MLO, u-boot.bin and uImage.
I installed the last RC buildroot and after I started to configure the build
 by selecting the desired setting because i dont found a defconfig file for
Kernel with buildroot ...

In the configuration of the bootloader I checked xloader and uboot. With
uboot I found a configuration file to my card "am3517_crane" but, for
xloader, I haven't found anything and I cannot generate the correspendant
MLO .

I copy MLO, which was provided for Angstrom distrib for my card (compiled
whith openembedded) but I cannot load the u-boot. suddenly, I also tried
copying uboot that provided with the same distrib of  MLO and then I start but
I am blocked on: "booting the kernel"!

Could you tell me why i have this freeze ?
Could you tell me what I do with buildroot to find the xloader configuration
file to my card ?

thnx
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

[...]

  (?)
@ 2012-02-24 15:02 ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2012-02-24 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:25:21AM +0100, Mohamed HAMZAOUI wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to use Buildroot for CraneBoard...
>
> My problem is with configuration files : MLO, u-boot.bin and uImage.
> I installed the last RC buildroot and after I started to configure the build
>  by selecting the desired setting because i dont found a defconfig file for
> Kernel with buildroot ...

Starting with v2011.12 you do not need x-loader and you want the MLO and
u-boot.img (NOT u-boot.bin) files created by U-Boot.

--
Tom

* [Buildroot] [U-Boot] Craneboard with Uboot and xloader
@ 2012-02-24 20:08     ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-24 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thank you for your help, but i use the 2012.12RC version and in the
bootloader menu i select the u-boot version 2011.12 and in the uboot binary
format i only have u-boot.bin, u-boot-nand.bin, u-boot.kwb !
How to build u-boot.img ?
when i used a u-boot.bin for my Craneboard i can't boot because it need a
MLO (xloader) for booting.

thx

From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-24 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2012-02-24 20:20     ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2012-02-24 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 1:08 PM, Mohamed HAMZAOUI <requinham@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thank you for your help, but i use the 2012.12RC version and in the
> bootloader menu i select the u-boot version 2011.12 and in the uboot binary
> format i only have u-boot.bin, u-boot-nand.bin, u-boot.kwb !
> How to build u-boot.img ?
> when i used a u-boot.bin for my Craneboard i can't boot because it need a
> MLO (xloader) for booting.

That's a buildroot problem.  'make am3517_crane ; make', or however
buildroot builds today is producing u-boot.img and MLO, it's just not
copying them out to where you're looking for them.

> thx
>
> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Tom Rini <trini@ti.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 10:25:21AM +0100, Mohamed HAMZAOUI wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I want to use Buildroot for CraneBoard...
>> >
>> > My problem is with configuration files : MLO, u-boot.bin and uImage.
>> > I installed the last RC buildroot and after I started to configure the
>> build
>> > ?by selecting the desired setting because i dont found a defconfig file
>> for
>> > Kernel with buildroot ...
>>
>> Starting with v2011.12 you do not need x-loader and you want the MLO and
>> u-boot.img (NOT u-boot.bin) files created by U-Boot.
>>
>> --
>> Tom

Tom

* [Buildroot] [U-Boot] Craneboard with Uboot and xloader
@ 2012-02-25  0:01         ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-25  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

I tried following your instruction and i have been found the file MLO and
u-boot.img in the build/uboot directory but when i use them with the
generated rootfs th craneboard boot from the nand and not from my SD
although it's configured to booting from SD card and i tested it whith a
openembedded distribution.
the first log for starting is :
U-Boot SPL 2011.12 (Feb 25 2012 - 00:01:51)
Texas Instruments Revision detection unimplemented
OMAP SD/MMC: 0
reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img

U-Boot 2011.12 (Feb 25 2012 - 00:01:51)

AM35XX-GP ES2.0, CPU-OPP2, L3-165MHz, Max CPU Clock 600 Mhz
CraneBoard + LPDDR/NAND
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  256 MiB
NAND:  256 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
In:    serial
Out:   serial
Err:   serial
Die ID #0dc0000100000000015da39614006015
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  3  2  1  0
mmc - MMC sub system

Usage:
mmc read addr blk# cnt
mmc write addr blk# cnt
mmc erase blk# cnt
mmc rescan
mmc part - lists available partition on current mmc device
mmc dev [dev] [part] - show or set current mmc device [partition]
mmc list - lists available devices
Booting from nand ...

NAND read: device 0 offset 0x480000, size 0x500000
 5242880 bytes read: OK
## Booting kernel from Legacy Image at 82000000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.32
   Image Type:   ARM Linux Kernel Image (uncompressed)
   Data Size:    2103408 Bytes = 2 MiB
   Load Address: 80008000
   Entry Point:  80008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel ...

Uncompressing
Linux....................................................................................................................................
done, booting the kernel.
Linux version 2.6.32 (sriharsha at localhost.localdomain) (gcc version 4.3.3
(Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q1-203) ) #1 Mon Nov 29 23:22:22 IST 2010
CPU: ARMv7 Processor [411fc087] revision 7 (ARMv7), cr=10c53c7f

From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-25  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2012-02-25  0:29         ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2012-02-25  0:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Fri, Feb 24, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Mohamed HAMZAOUI <requinham@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried following your instruction and i have been found the file MLO and
> u-boot.img in the build/uboot directory but when i use them with the
> generated rootfs th craneboard boot from the nand and not from my SD
> although it's configured to booting from SD card and i tested it whith a
> openembedded distribution.

It looks like the bootcmd for mmc needs to be updated to call 'mmc
rescan' not 'mmc init'  Please look at include/configs/am3517_crane.h
and google up n hoto submit a patch to U-Boot once you've tested
things.  The am3517_evm.h file in that directory, along with
omap3_beagle.h should help (look for 'mmc init' and 'mmc rescan'.

--
Tom

* [Buildroot] [U-Boot] Craneboard with Uboot and xloader
@ 2012-02-25 13:00             ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-25 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi M Tom,
I checked the file am3517_crane.h and it well use "rescan" instead of "init"
 but the problem is that after compilation, when I check the bootcmd I find
another one with init and not with rescan !
When i tried to change the variable with the setenv command, the system boot
 correctly from the SD card.
Can you tell me how I can fix that and why the compilation or the MLO,
u-boot.img files not have the correct bootcmd ?
PS: I use a defconfig file for the kernel that I found on the Internet,
it's that the source of problem ?
Excuse me for my english and thank you.

From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-25 13:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2012-02-25 14:35             ` Tom Rini
From: Tom Rini @ 2012-02-25 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 6:00 AM, Mohamed HAMZAOUI <requinham@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi M Tom,
> I checked the file am3517_crane.h and it well use "rescan" instead of "init"
> ?but the problem is that after compilation, when I check the bootcmd I find
> another one with init and not with rescan !
> When i tried to change the variable with the setenv command, the system boot
> ?correctly from the SD card.
> Can you tell me how I can fix that and why the compilation or the MLO,
> u-boot.img files not have the correct bootcmd ?

Ah, how about this, you've been using the board previously, yes?  It
probably had a saved environment from a previous version written to
NAND and was using that.  You might want to try doing 'nand erase
260000 20000' to erase the old environment, then reset the board to
get the full, new, default environment.

--
Tom

* [Buildroot] [U-Boot] Craneboard with Uboot and xloader
@ 2012-02-26  0:26                 ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-26  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

After trying to correct this issue, i have a difficult problem :( the
booting freeze in "Starting kernel..." and it can't decompressing the
uImage and starting the kernel.
for information i choosed the kernel 2.6.39.4 in buildroot configuration
with am3517_crane_defconfig file (a defconfig for version 2.6.32 that i
copied manually) that i found in craneboard-kernel gitorious.

Best regards
Mohamed

From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-26  0:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2012-02-28  8:53                   ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-28  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Indeed, the problem is caused by selecting the ttyS0, just change it to
ttyO0 (OMAP) in the buildroot configuration and in the console env vars of
card.

Best regards
Mohamed

From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-02-28  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

       [not found]                       ` <4F550BC3.80601@ti.com>
@ 2012-03-06  9:19                         ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-03-06  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

So far I have not been able to compile another kernel version other than (
https://github.com/craneboard/craneboard-kernel.git) with buildroot. This
poses for Craneboard users a lot of trouble since we can never build any
tools that require newer versions as qt 4.7.4
I think the least we can do is update the wiki by integrating information
on :
- how to adapt a vanilla kernel to be compilable and particularly with
buildroot
for Craneboard (list at least patch)
- how to enable the graphical display via dvi and what is the maximum
resolution (it's odd that we found this in the forum and not in the wiki og
IT !)

If you want I can do this for you (it only takes a little time) but give me,
please, all necessary informations.

Thanks
Mohamed

@ 2012-03-06  9:33                           ` Thomas Petazzoni
       [not found]                             ` <4F562392.5070606@ti.com>
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-03-06  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:19:57 +0100,
Mohamed HAMZAOUI <requinham@gmail.com> a ?crit :

> So far I have not been able to compile another kernel version other
> than ( https://github.com/craneboard/craneboard-kernel.git) with
> buildroot.

What problems do you have?

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] [U-Boot] Craneboard with Uboot and xloader
@ 2012-03-06  9:58                               ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
       [not found]                             ` <4F562392.5070606@ti.com>
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-03-06  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

The first problem is the lack of informations about Craneboard in the
craneboard TI wiki for example the display over DVI informations...

the other problem is that impossible to use BUILDROOT to create a
distribution for Craneboard with any vanilla kernel version (2.6.37;
2.6.39.1,..). the only version that works is that provided by TI and it's
based on 2.6.32 vanilla kernel which is an older version for many tools. We
need a little description how to adapt Buildroot for compiling any recent
kernel version and other things for working on Craneboard ! we need a
kernel config file who work with recent version of vanilla kernel and not
generate a compile error or a kernel panic when booting !

I tested all the possibilities with Buildroot 2012.02 and nothing works.

Thank you for your help

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Thomas Petazzoni <
thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:

> Le Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:19:57 +0100,
> Mohamed HAMZAOUI <requinham@gmail.com> a ?crit :
>
> > So far I have not been able to compile another kernel version other
> > than ( https://github.com/craneboard/craneboard-kernel.git) with
> > buildroot.
>
> What problems do you have?
>
> Thomas
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, Free Electrons
> Kernel, drivers, real-time and embedded Linux
> development, consulting, training and support.
> http://free-electrons.com

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [U-Boot] [Buildroot]  Craneboard with Uboot and xloader
@ 2012-03-06  9:58                               ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-03-06  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: u-boot

@ 2012-03-06 10:01                               ` Thomas Petazzoni
       [not found]                                 ` <CABMxt4itAFJLs+qQXf9g5sKGUq7+S-uXJuzfHFiZ+_wRSSwo_g@mail.gmail.com>
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-03-06 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

Please do not cross-post this to the U-Boot mailing list, it has no
relation at all to U-Boot.

Le Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:58:21 +0100,
Mohamed HAMZAOUI <requinham@gmail.com> a ?crit :

> The first problem is the lack of informations about Craneboard in the
> craneboard TI wiki for example the display over DVI informations...
>
> the other problem is that impossible to use BUILDROOT to create a
> distribution for Craneboard with any vanilla kernel version (2.6.37;
> 2.6.39.1,..). the only version that works is that provided by TI and
> it's based on 2.6.32 vanilla kernel which is an older version for
> many tools. We need a little description how to adapt Buildroot for
> compiling any recent kernel version and other things for working on
> Craneboard ! we need a kernel config file who work with recent
> version of vanilla kernel and not generate a compile error or a
> kernel panic when booting !
>
> I tested all the possibilities with Buildroot 2012.02 and nothing
> works.

Please report specific problems and not things like "nothing works".

Buildroot is only very loosely related to the kernel version. Buildroot
simply downloads the kernel source code, extracts it, applies the
configuration you have choosen and builds it. This procedure is
completely independent of the kernel version.

So, most likely, if one kernel version works and another doesn't work,
it's not Buildroot's fault, but rather the kernel itself that has
issues with your particular hardware platform.

Again, please report specific problems, like:

 I am using Buildroot 2012.02 with the configuration file visible at
 (put here some URL of pastebin with your Buildroot configuration) and
 I'm having the following problem: ...

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2012-03-06 10:26                                   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2012-03-06 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Le Tue, 6 Mar 2012 11:22:33 +0100,
Mohamed HAMZAOUI <requinham@gmail.com> a ?crit :

> I'm sorry for posting u-boot mailing list.

But please keep the Buildroot list in copy.

> After compiling a new compilation with Buildroot and with kernel
> 2.6.39.4 on Craneboard, i have a strange problem in booting the
> kernel "Kernel panic...".

Typically, your kernel panic below has absolutely nothing to do with
Buildroot. It's just the kernel that doesn't work properly on your
hardware platform. So:

 *) If your kernel comes from a vendor, contact the vendor for support

 *) If your kernel is the mainline kernel, then try with the latest
 stable version (2.9.39.4 is getting old), and if you still have the
 problem, contact the maintainers of your board inside the kernel.

For the Buildroot list subscribers, I'm keeping the kernel panic below.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2012-03-07  9:37                               ` Mohamed HAMZAOUI
From: Mohamed HAMZAOUI @ 2012-03-07  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Please can you give me the URL to this mainline who is this issues
addressed for testing ?

Thank you
Mohamed

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Tom Rini <trini@ti.com> wrote:

> On 03/06/2012 02:33 AM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
>
>> Le Tue, 6 Mar 2012 10:19:57 +0100,
>> Mohamed HAMZAOUI<requinham@gmail.com>  a ?crit :
>>
>>  So far I have not been able to compile another kernel version other
>>> than ( https://github.com/craneboard/**craneboard-kernel.git<https://github.com/craneboard/craneboard-kernel.git>)
>>> with