* How to understand "processor" in "SMP" and "UP"?
@ 2015-07-20  3:43 Nan Xiao
From: Nan Xiao @ 2015-07-20  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,

Per my understanding, the "processor" in "SMP" and "UP" should be a "logic
CPU", not a "physical CPU".
If the "physical CPU" contains 2 "cores", and every "core" contains 2
"hardware threads", then the "processor"
should stands for "hardware thread".

Is my understanding right? Thanks very much in advance!

Best Regards
Nan Xiao
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* How to understand "processor" in "SMP" and "UP"?
@ 2015-07-20 21:04 ` Rik van Riel
From: Rik van Riel @ 2015-07-20 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 07/19/2015 11:43 PM, Nan Xiao wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Per my understanding, the "processor" in "SMP" and "UP" should be a
> "logic CPU", not a "physical CPU".
> If the "physical CPU" contains 2 "cores", and every "core" contains 2
> "hardware threads", then the "processor"
> should stands for "hardware thread".
>
> Is my understanding right? Thanks very much in advance!

Yes, you are absolutely right, when speaking from a
software point of view.

Each logical processor shows up as a CPU in Linux.

Of course, if you were to talk to somebody installing
physical CPUs in systems, you would get a different
answer :)

--
All rights reversed.

* How to understand "processor" in "SMP" and "UP"?
@ 2015-07-21  1:56   ` Nan Xiao
From: Nan Xiao @ 2015-07-21  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Rik,