* Kernel Projects
@ 2014-04-22 17:22 Julio Faracco
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Julio Faracco @ 2014-04-22 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a program to offer small (or big) kernel
projects to students or someone who are interested in?

I'm looking for programs like Google Summer of Code or
http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelProjects

I'm interested to contribute with kernel patches, but I don't know how and
where to start it.

I will be glad if someone give me ideas and/or suggestions.

Thanks!

*--*
*Julio Cesar Faracco*
*University of S?o Paulo - Brazil*
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* Kernel Projects
@ 2014-04-22 17:29 ` Akshay Dixit
From: Akshay Dixit @ 2014-04-22 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Julio,

Have you tried the Eudyptula Challenge?
Its a good place to start from the ground up!

Regards,
Akshay Dixit

@ 2014-04-22 17:31 ` Peter Senna Tschudin
From: Peter Senna Tschudin @ 2014-04-22 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I would recommend:

http://eudyptula-challenge.org/

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 7:22 PM, Julio Faracco <jcfaracco@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know if there is a program to offer small (or big) kernel
> projects to students or someone who are interested in?
>
> I'm looking for programs like Google Summer of Code or
> http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelProjects
>
> I'm interested to contribute with kernel patches, but I don't know how and
> where to start it.
>
> I will be glad if someone give me ideas and/or suggestions.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Julio Cesar Faracco
> University of S?o Paulo - Brazil

Peter

* Kernel Projects
@ 2014-04-22 17:39   ` Vitor Braga
From: Vitor Braga @ 2014-04-22 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I second this, Eudyptula is one of most fun things Ive done in a lot
of time.... I'm trying to find some time to finish task 16, but the
real world keeps getting in my way :/

@ 2014-04-22 17:55     ` aaditya.gavandalkar at yahoo.com
From: aaditya.gavandalkar at yahoo.com @ 2014-04-22 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I also sent a mail to little at eudyptula-challenge.org for joining the challenge but didn't received a conformation or a new challenge yet.

@ 2014-04-22 18:07       ` Vitor Braga
From: Vitor Braga @ 2014-04-22 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Give it some time :-) Might take a couple hours to a day between replies.

@ 2014-04-22 23:15 ` Greg Freemyer
From: Greg Freemyer @ 2014-04-22 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 1:22 PM, Julio Faracco <jcfaracco@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anybody know if there is a program to offer small (or big) kernel
> projects to students or someone who are interested in?
>
> I'm looking for programs like Google Summer of Code or
> http://kernelnewbies.org/KernelProjects
>
> I'm interested to contribute with kernel patches, but I don't know how and
> where to start it.
>
> I will be glad if someone give me ideas and/or suggestions.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Julio Cesar Faracco
> University of S?o Paulo - Brazil

The challenge is probably a great learning experience, but I assume
everyone is doing the same work?

If so, Greg KH has said that code clean-ups to the staging directory
are always accepted.

Just download the kernel source, cd into the staging directory and
start running checkpatch.pl against the various files.  When you find
issues, clean them up and submit a patch.

Greg KH walks through the process here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLBrBBImJt4

Greg (not KH)

* Kernel Projects
@ 2014-04-22 23:48   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2014-04-22 23:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 07:15:28PM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> If so, Greg KH has said that code clean-ups to the staging directory
> are always accepted.

Yes, just start with drivers/staging/*/TODO and go from there.  Help
there is always gladly appreciated.

thanks,

greg (not Freemyer) k-h

* Kernel Projects