* Using perf-inject to inject a fixed set of build-ids
@ 2022-06-24  1:15 Raul Silvera
From: Raul Silvera @ 2022-06-24  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-perf-users

Hello. I have a system A where I collect perf.data files without build
ids, and want to analyze them on system B, running a different version
of Linux.

My analysis depends on build ids, so I want to use perf-inject -b on
system B to extend the files collected on system A. Currently,
perf-inject retrieves the build ids from system B and injects them on
the perf.data file from A. Instead I would like to provide a hardcoded
list of build ids to use, which I would manually collect from A.

My current thinking is to add an option, say '--known-build-ids'
specifying the build ids as a list of (path, build-id) pairs, similar
to the output of perf buildid-list. The parameter would be parsed
using strlist__new, allowing the build ids to be loaded from a file by
using the existing support for the "file://" prefix.

Does this sound like a reasonable thing to do, or are there other
mechanisms that would support my goal? If this sounds OK I can prepare
a patch for it.

Appreciate any feedback/suggestions.

Raul E. Silvera
Software Engineer
waymo.com

only message in thread, other threads:[~2022-06-24  1:15 UTC | newest]