* CRIU @Plumbers
@ 2015-02-02 10:05 Pavel Emelyanov
       [not found] ` <54CF4BFF.8070505-bzQdu9zFT3WakBO8gow8eQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Pavel Emelyanov @ 2015-02-02 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CRIU, Containers

Hi,

There's a call for micro-conferences now open at the upcoming Plumbers
conference [1]. Before this one, CRIU was typically included into the
containers MC [2], but this year we can try to organize a separate [3]
track if there's enough topics and attendees.

Suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Pavel

[1] http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2015:topics
[2] http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2015:containers
[3] http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2015:ckptrestart

* Re: [CRIU] CRIU @Plumbers
       [not found] ` <54CF4BFF.8070505-bzQdu9zFT3WakBO8gow8eQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-02 16:58   ` Serge Hallyn
From: Serge Hallyn @ 2015-02-02 16:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Emelyanov; +Cc: CRIU, Containers

I think it might be worthwhile - my main concern is that it not conflict
timewise with the containers summit.

Quoting Pavel Emelyanov (xemul-bzQdu9zFT3WakBO8gow8eQ@public.gmane.org):

@ 2015-02-02 17:06   ` Tycho Andersen
From: Tycho Andersen @ 2015-02-02 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Emelyanov; +Cc: CRIU, Containers

On Mon, Feb 02, 2015 at 01:05:51PM +0300, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There's a call for micro-conferences now open at the upcoming Plumbers
> conference [1]. Before this one, CRIU was typically included into the
> containers MC [2], but this year we can try to organize a separate [3]
> track if there's enough topics and attendees.
>
> Suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

I'm very interested, hopefully I can (I should) get back some time to
work on CRIU to have something to present.

Tycho

@ 2015-02-02 19:19     ` Saied Kazemi
       [not found]       ` <CA+Um-gj1ynTwOsQNV7482Lz2GsCX+Leuz=QdSfPL1MVaF1CRGQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Saied Kazemi @ 2015-02-02 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tycho Andersen; +Cc: CRIU, Containers

Given the wide spectrum of CRIU use cases, I am also in favor of organizing
a separate track for it.

To that end, I can present and do a live demo of how CRIU was used to
provide native Docker container checkpoint and restore.  This can be a full
presentation by itself or combined with another presentation.

A minor nit: for consistency, can we call it checkpoint/restore instead of
checkpoint/restart?

--Saied

On Mon, Feb 2, 2015 at 9:06 AM, Tycho Andersen <tycho.andersen-Z7WLFzj8eWMS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org

@ 2015-02-03  3:50     ` James Bottomley
       [not found]       ` <1422935454.2103.48.camel-d9PhHud1JfjCXq6kfMZ53/egYHeGw8Jk@public.gmane.org>
From: James Bottomley @ 2015-02-03  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serge Hallyn; +Cc: CRIU, Containers

On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 16:58 +0000, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> I think it might be worthwhile - my main concern is that it not conflict
> timewise with the containers summit.

You mean ContainerCon?  That's running concurrently with LinuxCon, so it
shouldn't conflict with either of the two plumbers days.

James

@ 2015-02-03 14:58         ` Pavel Emelyanov
       [not found]           ` <54D0E216.3040007-bzQdu9zFT3WakBO8gow8eQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Pavel Emelyanov @ 2015-02-03 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saied Kazemi, Tycho Andersen; +Cc: CRIU, Containers

On 02/02/2015 10:19 PM, Saied Kazemi wrote:
> Given the wide spectrum of CRIU use cases, I am also in favor of organizing a
> separate track for it.
>
> To that end, I can present and do a live demo of how CRIU was used to provide
> native Docker container checkpoint and restore.  This can be a full presentation
> by itself or combined with another presentation.

That's great :) I'll start filling the page with data soon then. Feel free to
join and add the stuff you want.

> A minor nit: for consistency, can we call it checkpoint/restore instead of checkpoint/restart?

Google gives ~600k results for "checkpoint/restart" vs ~900k for "checkpoint/restore"
so I don't mind :)

* Re: [CRIU] CRIU @Plumbers
       [not found]       ` <1422935454.2103.48.camel-d9PhHud1JfjCXq6kfMZ53/egYHeGw8Jk@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-03 15:41         ` Serge E. Hallyn
       [not found]           ` <20150203154123.GB2923-7LNsyQBKDXoIagZqoN9o3w@public.gmane.org>
From: Serge E. Hallyn @ 2015-02-03 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Bottomley; +Cc: CRIU, Containers, Serge Hallyn

Quoting James Bottomley (James.Bottomley-d9PhHud1JfjCXq6kfMZ53/egYHeGw8Jk@public.gmane.org):
> On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 16:58 +0000, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > I think it might be worthwhile - my main concern is that it not conflict
> > timewise with the containers summit.
>
> You mean ContainerCon?  That's running concurrently with LinuxCon, so it
> shouldn't conflict with either of the two plumbers days.

Sorry didn't mean "summit".  I just mean the containers track at plumbers.

@ 2015-02-03 15:52             ` James Bottomley
From: James Bottomley @ 2015-02-03 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Serge E. Hallyn; +Cc: CRIU, Containers, Serge Hallyn

On Tue, 2015-02-03 at 16:41 +0100, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
> Quoting James Bottomley (James.Bottomley-d9PhHud1JfjCXq6kfMZ53/egYHeGw8Jk@public.gmane.org):
> > On Mon, 2015-02-02 at 16:58 +0000, Serge Hallyn wrote:
> > > I think it might be worthwhile - my main concern is that it not conflict
> > > timewise with the containers summit.
> >
> > You mean ContainerCon?  That's running concurrently with LinuxCon, so it
> > shouldn't conflict with either of the two plumbers days.
>
> Sorry didn't mean "summit".  I just mean the containers track at plumbers.
>
> http://wiki.linuxplumbersconf.org/2015:containers

Yes, Plumbers can take care of the scheduling.  Since we have a Seattle
local team, we'll help running containers, which should make sure
there's no overlap ...

James

* Re: [CRIU] CRIU @Plumbers
       [not found]           ` <54D0E216.3040007-bzQdu9zFT3WakBO8gow8eQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-03 16:10             ` Christopher Covington
       [not found]               ` <54D0F2EC.4040702-sgV2jX0FEOL9JmXXK+q4OQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Christopher Covington @ 2015-02-03 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Emelyanov, Saied Kazemi, Tycho Andersen; +Cc: CRIU, Containers

On 02/03/2015 09:58 AM, Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> On 02/02/2015 10:19 PM, Saied Kazemi wrote:
>> Given the wide spectrum of CRIU use cases, I am also in favor of organizing a
>> separate track for it.
>>
>> To that end, I can present and do a live demo of how CRIU was used to provide
>> native Docker container checkpoint and restore.  This can be a full presentation
>> by itself or combined with another presentation.
>
> That's great :) I'll start filling the page with data soon then. Feel free to
> join and add the stuff you want.
>
>> A minor nit: for consistency, can we call it checkpoint/restore instead of checkpoint/restart?
>
> Google gives ~600k results for "checkpoint/restart" vs ~900k for "checkpoint/restore"
> so I don't mind :)

I prefer "restore" (perhaps a more migration focused term) myself, but I think
there is some history behind "restart" (perhaps a more fault tolerance focused
term) from at least the Berkeley Lab's Checkpoint/Restart project, which has
software releases from 2005 and papers from 2002.

http://crd.lbl.gov/departments/computer-science/CLaSS/research/BLCR/
http://crd.lbl.gov/departments/computer-science/CLaSS/research/BLCR/checkpoint-restart-publications/

Chris

--
Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc.
The Qualcomm Innovation Center, Inc. is a member of the Code Aurora Forum,

* Re: [CRIU] CRIU @Plumbers
       [not found]               ` <54D0F2EC.4040702-sgV2jX0FEOL9JmXXK+q4OQ@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-02-03 16:21                 ` Saied Kazemi
From: Saied Kazemi @ 2015-02-03 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Covington; +Cc: CRIU, Containers

Since everyone is in agreement, let's call it checkpoint/restore then.
Restart often implies stop + start and, in fact, Docker already has a
restart command which does exactly that.

--Saied