* [Qemu-devel] Balloon Driver : Observation
@ 2013-06-25  1:31 Saptarshi Sen
From: Saptarshi Sen @ 2013-06-25  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-discuss, qemu-devel

  I am observing a strange phenomenon with balloon using KVM as hypervisor.
I set balloon value to an arbitratrilylow value so that the guest system is
out of memory. The VM freezes therafter. But if Iquery the balloon status
through qmp-shell, the qmp interface interacts with the balloon
target in guest as usual. I can also reset the balloon size to its default.
But the problem is that
the VM still remain unresponsive. So i am not able to figure out how the
guest balloon driver
seem to function even though the VM has freezed.

Regards

* Re: [Qemu-devel] Balloon Driver : Observation
@ 2013-06-25  1:45 ` Anthony Liguori
From: Anthony Liguori @ 2013-06-25  1:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Saptarshi Sen; +Cc: qemu-devel, qemu-discuss

On Mon, Jun 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM, Saptarshi Sen <saptarshi.mrg@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I am observing a strange phenomenon with balloon using KVM as hypervisor.
> I set balloon value to an arbitratrilylow value so that the guest system is
> out of memory. The VM freezes therafter. But if Iquery the balloon status
> through qmp-shell, the qmp interface interacts with the balloon
> target in guest as usual. I can also reset the balloon size to its default.
> But the problem is that
> the VM still remain unresponsive. So i am not able to figure out how the
> guest balloon driver
> seem to function even though the VM has freezed.

The qmp balloon commands interface with the virtual hardware.  Whether
the guest is frozen or not does not prevent you from altering the
registers in the virtual hardware.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori