* how to test the vanilla kernel
@ 2014-06-22 12:26 shubham k
From: shubham k @ 2014-06-22 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Gurus,

I have virtual m/c with ubuntu linux-kernel 3.2.xx. Suppose I made any fix
in latest kernel say 3.16-rcx and want to test those changes. How i should
go about it? I am thinking to compile the modified kernel 3.16-rcx and
install it like standard procedure (make, make modules, make
modules_install, make install) and boot the ubuntu in runlevl=3, to avoid
GUI as it may not work with latest vanilla kernel and test kernel with
existing root filesystem. Is it the right approach or need to create
separate boot partition and root filesystem? If not please let me know the
right way to test kernel.

my host config x-86 core i5.

thanks in advance,
shubham
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* how to test the vanilla kernel
@ 2014-06-22 13:18 ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-06-22 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Jun 22, 2014 5:57 PM, "shubham k" <skaushal.lk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
>
> I have virtual m/c with ubuntu linux-kernel 3.2.xx. Suppose I made any
fix in latest kernel say 3.16-rcx and want to test those changes. How i
should go about it? I am thinking to compile the modified kernel 3.16-rcx
and install it like standard procedure (make, make modules, make
modules_install, make install) and boot the ubuntu in runlevl=3, to avoid
GUI as it may not work with latest vanilla kernel and test kernel with
existing root filesystem. Is it the right approach or need to create
separate boot partition and root filesystem? If not please let me know the
right way to test kernel.

> my host config x-86 core i5.
>
> thanks in advance,
> shubham
Yes , thats the procedure. boot into the new kernel and test for the
changes..

@ 2014-06-22 14:37   ` AYAN KUMAR HALDER
From: AYAN KUMAR HALDER @ 2014-06-22 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Sudip Mukherjee
<sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 22, 2014 5:57 PM, "shubham k" <skaushal.lk@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Gurus,
>>
>> I have virtual m/c with ubuntu linux-kernel 3.2.xx. Suppose I made any fix
>> in latest kernel say 3.16-rcx and want to test those changes. How i should
>> go about it? I am thinking to compile the modified kernel 3.16-rcx and
>> install it like standard procedure (make, make modules, make
>> modules_install, make install)
A small addition. You need to update the grub to be able to see the
new kernel entry in the boot options.
I believe there is no need to change the run level as the latest
kernel should work with the default gui run level (5). I have done the
same for kernel 3.14

Regards.
Ayan Kumar Halder

* how to test the vanilla kernel
@ 2014-06-22 14:48 ` Pranay Srivastava
From: Pranay Srivastava @ 2014-06-22 14:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Jun 22, 2014 5:57 PM, "shubham k" <skaushal.lk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Gurus,
>
> I have virtual m/c with ubuntu linux-kernel 3.2.xx. Suppose I made any
fix in latest kernel say 3.16-rcx and want to test those changes. How i
should go about it? I am thinking to compile the modified kernel 3.16-rcx
and install it like standard procedure (make, make modules, make
modules_install, make install) and boot the ubuntu in runlevl=3, to avoid
GUI as it may not work with latest vanilla kernel and test kernel with
existing root filesystem. Is it the right approach or need to create
separate boot partition and root filesystem? If not please let me know the
right way to test kernel.

> my host config x-86 core i5.

You may need to create initial ramfs image as well.  See how to use
mkinitrd.

@ 2014-06-22 14:52     ` Kai Bojens
From: Kai Bojens @ 2014-06-22 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 22-06-14 20:07:38, AYAN KUMAR HALDER wrote:

> A small addition. You need to update the grub to be able to see the
> new kernel entry in the boot options.

If you build the kernel with your distribution's tools you can easily
install and remove everything with the help of the package system. This
includes the grub configuration.

-> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Kernel/Compile

* how to test the vanilla kernel
@ 2014-06-22 16:20     ` Sudip Mukherjee
From: Sudip Mukherjee @ 2014-06-22 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Jun 22, 2014 8:07 PM, "AYAN KUMAR HALDER" <ayankumarh@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 22, 2014 at 6:48 PM, Sudip Mukherjee
> <sudipm.mukherjee@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 22, 2014 5:57 PM, "shubham k" <skaushal.lk@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi Gurus,
> >>
> >> I have virtual m/c with ubuntu linux-kernel 3.2.xx. Suppose I made any
fix
> >> in latest kernel say 3.16-rcx and want to test those changes. How i
should
> >> go about it? I am thinking to compile the modified kernel 3.16-rcx and
> >> install it like standard procedure (make, make modules, make
> >> modules_install, make install)
> A small addition. You need to update the grub to be able to see the
> new kernel entry in the boot options.
> I believe there is no need to change the run level as the latest
> kernel should work with the default gui run level (5). I have done the
> same for kernel 3.14
>
> Regards.
> Ayan Kumar Halder

i think "make install" will also update the grub configuration and will
also create initial ram disc if needed .. atleast in ubuntu it does.