* Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-16  7:12 Deepak Goel
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Deepak Goel @ 2023-05-16  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello

I want to learn more about Linux. Is there a complete list of programs in
Linux OS? And what do they do?

Please let me know.

Thank you.

Deepak
"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated
- Mahatma Gandhi"

+91 73500 12833
deicool@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deicool
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool

"Plant a Tree, Go Green"

Make In India : http://www.makeinindia.com/home

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-16 12:24 ` Valdis Klētnieks
From: Valdis Klētnieks @ 2023-05-16 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Goel; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Tue, 16 May 2023 12:42:19 +0530, Deepak Goel said:
> I want to learn more about Linux.

Step 0:

Learn what a kernel is, and what userspace is.

Figure out if you are trying to learn how to use/administer a Linux-based
system, or how to write user programs that run on Linux-based computers, or
learn about the Linux kernel itself.

This may or may not be helpful, depending what you are trying to do:
https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2017-April/017765.html

> Is there a complete list of programs in Linux OS?

No. And if there *was*, it wouldn't be very helpful.

That's because Linux is used on everything from smart watches, to every
Android-based device on the planet, to supercomputers, to the largest web
services on the planet.  And what gets installed on any given Linux based
system depends on what the designer and/or user wants included.

Google *alone* has several billion (yes, with a 'b') lines of code that make up
the programs that do all the magic for Google search, Gmail, Youtube, and all
their other services.  And the last I heard, Google isn't sharing all those
programs with the world.

Then there's everything from genealogy programs, to programs that will handle
the raw binary format images produced by Nikon cameras, to information security
related software, to planetarium simulators, to text-to-speech software, to
database servers, to totally niche things like the 'nmh' email software, which
probably has less than 100 users worldwide these days. And that's just what's
on my laptop.

The end result is that as I write this, the Fedora Rawhide distribution of
Linux includes around 25,000 available packages to install, many of which
include multiple programs. That doesn't include programs available from
third party sites.  And not all packages can be usefully installed on all systems - the
programs for a Linux-based smart watch won't do anything useful on your desktop,
while the desktop programs won't even *fit* in that smart watch.

> And what do they do?
See above.

[-- Attachment #1.2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 494 bytes --]

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-17  5:27   ` Deepak Goel
From: Deepak Goel @ 2023-05-17  5:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Valdis Klētnieks; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Thank you very much for your response.

I have worked on unix/linux systems before developing shell/awk programs
and have a basic idea of hardware in computers/servers.

Now my second question is, how do I develop a small kernel from scratch by
myself. Very simple one initially for Arduino Uno. Is it possible?

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 5:54 PM Valdis Klētnieks <valdis.kletnieks@vt.edu>
wrote:

> On Tue, 16 May 2023 12:42:19 +0530, Deepak Goel said:
> > I want to learn more about Linux.
>
> Step 0:
>
> Learn what a kernel is, and what userspace is.
>
> Figure out if you are trying to learn how to use/administer a Linux-based
> system, or how to write user programs that run on Linux-based computers, or
> learn about the Linux kernel itself.
>
> This may or may not be helpful, depending what you are trying to do:
>
> https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2017-April/017765.html
>
> > Is there a complete list of programs in Linux OS?
>
> No. And if there *was*, it wouldn't be very helpful.
>
> That's because Linux is used on everything from smart watches, to every
> Android-based device on the planet, to supercomputers, to the largest web
> services on the planet.  And what gets installed on any given Linux based
> system depends on what the designer and/or user wants included.
>
> Google *alone* has several billion (yes, with a 'b') lines of code that
> make up
> the programs that do all the magic for Google search, Gmail, Youtube, and
> all
> their other services.  And the last I heard, Google isn't sharing all those
> programs with the world.
>
> Then there's everything from genealogy programs, to programs that will
> handle
> the raw binary format images produced by Nikon cameras, to information
> security
> related software, to planetarium simulators, to text-to-speech software, to
> database servers, to totally niche things like the 'nmh' email software,
> which
> probably has less than 100 users worldwide these days. And that's just
> what's
> on my laptop.
>
> The end result is that as I write this, the Fedora Rawhide distribution of
> Linux includes around 25,000 available packages to install, many of which
> include multiple programs. That doesn't include programs available from
> third party sites.  And not all packages can be usefully installed on all
> systems - the
> programs for a Linux-based smart watch won't do anything useful on your
> desktop,
> while the desktop programs won't even *fit* in that smart watch.
>
> > And what do they do?
> See above.

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-17  6:20     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2023-05-17  6:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Goel; +Cc: Valdis Klētnieks, kernelnewbies

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 10:57:23AM +0530, Deepak Goel wrote:
> Now my second question is, how do I develop a small kernel from scratch by
> myself. Very simple one initially for Arduino Uno. Is it possible?

Yes, it is possible, but that's outside of this mailing list's topic.
There are many great answers for how to do this online, good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-17 10:37       ` Deepak Goel
From: Deepak Goel @ 2023-05-17 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Valdis Klētnieks, kernelnewbies

Thank You. Will work my way out.

On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 11:51 AM Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 17, 2023 at 10:57:23AM +0530, Deepak Goel wrote:
> > Now my second question is, how do I develop a small kernel from scratch
> by
> > myself. Very simple one initially for Arduino Uno. Is it possible?
>
> Yes, it is possible, but that's outside of this mailing list's topic.
> There are many great answers for how to do this online, good luck!
>
> greg k-h

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-18  1:18 ` Tom Mitchell
From: Tom Mitchell @ 2023-05-18  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Goel; +Cc: kernelnewbies

On Tue, May 16, 2023 at 00:23 Deepak Goel <deicool@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I want to learn more about Linux. Is there a complete list of programs in
> Linux OS? And what do they do?
>
> Please let me know.

The simple answer is to start with two programs: man, info.

Example:
  $ man man
  $ info man
  $ man info
  $ info info

Complete is impossible.  I wrote a simple one last week and no one other
than me knows it yet.

> --
Tinny keyboard.. Mobile ... I am

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-18  6:50 ` Constantine Shulyupin
From: Constantine Shulyupin @ 2023-05-18  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Goel; +Cc: kernelnewbies

Almost complete list of Linux SW:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_software

On Tue, 16 May 2023 at 10:13, Deepak Goel <deicool@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I want to learn more about Linux. Is there a complete list of programs in
> Linux OS? And what do they do?
>
> Please let me know.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Deepak
> "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are
> treated - Mahatma Gandhi"
>
> +91 73500 12833
> deicool@gmail.com
>
> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deicool
> LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool
>
> "Plant a Tree, Go Green"
>
> Make In India : http://www.makeinindia.com/home

Constantine Shulyupin

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-19  7:54   ` Deepak Goel
From: Deepak Goel @ 2023-05-19  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Constantine Shulyupin; +Cc: kernelnewbies

This link is good. However it is listing all the software which runs on
Linux-kernel. I want to know what's going on inside the Linux-kernel
(thread management, memory management, interface to devices, etc).

Deepak
"The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated
- Mahatma Gandhi"

+91 73500 12833
deicool@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deicool
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool

"Plant a Tree, Go Green"

Make In India : http://www.makeinindia.com/home

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:20 PM Constantine Shulyupin <
constantine.shulyupin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Almost complete list of Linux SW:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Linux_software
>
> On Tue, 16 May 2023 at 10:13, Deepak Goel <deicool@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I want to learn more about Linux. Is there a complete list of programs in
>> Linux OS? And what do they do?
>>
>> Please let me know.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> Deepak
>> "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are
>> treated - Mahatma Gandhi"
>>
>> +91 73500 12833
>> deicool@gmail.com
>>
>> Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/deicool
>> LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/in/deicool
>>
>> "Plant a Tree, Go Green"
>>
>> Make In India : http://www.makeinindia.com/home

> Constantine Shulyupin

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-19  9:48     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2023-05-19  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Goel; +Cc: Constantine Shulyupin, kernelnewbies

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 01:24:18PM +0530, Deepak Goel wrote:
> This link is good. However it is listing all the software which runs on
> Linux-kernel. I want to know what's going on inside the Linux-kernel
> (thread management, memory management, interface to devices, etc).

What of the many free books and other online resources have you read
that did not cover this well already?  Specific questions are best, and
also, you have access to the whole source code of Linux, have you tried
reading that and just following the basic code flows of something
"simple" to understand this type of thing?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-19  9:59       ` Deepak Goel
From: Deepak Goel @ 2023-05-19  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Constantine Shulyupin, kernelnewbies

Will buy a book. Thank you. Debugging the whole source code of Linux, might
be a bit tricky at the beginning. Will try ChatGPT.

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 3:18 PM Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 01:24:18PM +0530, Deepak Goel wrote:
> > This link is good. However it is listing all the software which runs on
> > Linux-kernel. I want to know what's going on inside the Linux-kernel
> > (thread management, memory management, interface to devices, etc).
>
> What of the many free books and other online resources have you read
> that did not cover this well already?  Specific questions are best, and
> also, you have access to the whole source code of Linux, have you tried
> reading that and just following the basic code flows of something
> "simple" to understand this type of thing?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-19 10:12         ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2023-05-19 10:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Deepak Goel; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

On Fri, 19 May 2023, Deepak Goel wrote:

> Will buy a book. Thank you. Debugging the whole source code of
> Linux, might be a bit tricky at the beginning. Will try ChatGPT.

  Respectfully, you are completely missing the point of this mailing
list. You started by asking for a list of programs that run on Linux;
when that was provided, you changed your mind entirely and insisted
that you wanted to know more about Linux internals like device drivers
and memory management and so on. Now you're suggesting you will
(finally?) buy a book and will further consult ChatGPT.

  Nowhere here have you demonstrated that you've actually put in any
effort of your own to start learning. Your entire approach seems to
be, "Could everyone drop what they're doing and teach me all about
Linux?" One starts to suspect you haven't even installed Linux to
start using it.

  This mailing list is for *kernel* newbies -- people starting to play
with the kernel and who have *specific* questions about something
they're trying. You, on the other hand, are asking to be spoon-fed the
most basic information about simply *running* Linux. You need to go
and invest some effort in learning the simplest things about Linux,
and not ask others to do that for you.

rday

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-19 10:14           ` Deepak Goel
From: Deepak Goel @ 2023-05-19 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: Kernel Newbies

Thank you for the feedback. Agreed. Will bounce specific questions as and
when I hit a wall.

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 3:42 PM Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca>
wrote:

> On Fri, 19 May 2023, Deepak Goel wrote:
>
> > Will buy a book. Thank you. Debugging the whole source code of
> > Linux, might be a bit tricky at the beginning. Will try ChatGPT.
>
>   Respectfully, you are completely missing the point of this mailing
> list. You started by asking for a list of programs that run on Linux;
> when that was provided, you changed your mind entirely and insisted
> that you wanted to know more about Linux internals like device drivers
> and memory management and so on. Now you're suggesting you will
> (finally?) buy a book and will further consult ChatGPT.
>
>   Nowhere here have you demonstrated that you've actually put in any
> effort of your own to start learning. Your entire approach seems to
> be, "Could everyone drop what they're doing and teach me all about
> Linux?" One starts to suspect you haven't even installed Linux to
> start using it.
>
>   This mailing list is for *kernel* newbies -- people starting to play
> with the kernel and who have *specific* questions about something
> they're trying. You, on the other hand, are asking to be spoon-fed the
> most basic information about simply *running* Linux. You need to go
> and invest some effort in learning the simplest things about Linux,
> and not ask others to do that for you.
>
> rday

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...
@ 2023-05-19 11:37       ` Fernando Apesteguía
From: Fernando Apesteguía @ 2023-05-19 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: Constantine Shulyupin, Deepak Goel, kernelnewbies

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 11:49 AM Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 01:24:18PM +0530, Deepak Goel wrote:
> > This link is good. However it is listing all the software which runs on
> > Linux-kernel. I want to know what's going on inside the Linux-kernel
> > (thread management, memory management, interface to devices, etc).
>
> What of the many free books and other online resources have you read
> that did not cover this well already?  Specific questions are best, and
> also, you have access to the whole source code of Linux, have you tried
> reading that and just following the basic code flows of something
> "simple" to understand this type of thing?

Is there a tiered list of portions of the kernel to have a look at? I'm
thinking of something like this:

* If you want to learn about USB drivers, have a look at the very simple
foo-driver. Then, you could look at bar-driver. If you grasped all the
concepts, have a look at veryadvanced-driver.
* For char drivers, you could start with this driver, then this other
driver and end with...
* For block drivers...
* For network drivers...

I think this might be extended to core components of the kernel, although
it might be a bit more complicated:

* For process creation and destruction have a look at this. For advanced
topics, have a look at that (this would be specific code parts/snippets).
* For memory management, have a look at this for simple
usage/understanding, and that for advanced topics.

 Sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming to open foo.c and get lost in the
details.

Do you know if there is such a list? Would it be difficult to create one?

Thanks,

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

* Re: Starting to learn Linux...