* Deleting a branch after merging it results in "there may be uncommitted changes"
@ 2017-10-05  3:04 Joshua Lamusga
From: Joshua Lamusga @ 2017-10-05  3:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello, I'm trying to understand Git and the mess I've made. Some time
ago, I did crazy things like adding to master even though I was
working in develop, leaving it a commit ahead and X commits behind. I
did crazier things, like trying to amend a previous post's message.

Anyway, I follow a very simple merging model for this one-person
project. Recently, I made a new local branch off of develop called
feature-printing. After checking out feature-printing, making my
changes, and committing changes, I merged it with develop. I then
immediately tried to delete feature-printing, which resulted in a
prompt asking if I was sure since it might contain uncommitted
changes. Though I've seen this problem many times on the internet, I
haven't seen it in the context of literally just merging. There are 0
steps between merging and deleting the old branch.

All of this is done in Visual Studio's GUI for Git. Any ideas?

* Re: Deleting a branch after merging it results in "there may be uncommitted changes"
@ 2017-10-17 12:24 ` Florian Weimer
From: Florian Weimer @ 2017-10-17 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joshua Lamusga, git

On 10/05/2017 05:04 AM, Joshua Lamusga wrote:
> Anyway, I follow a very simple merging model for this one-person
> project. Recently, I made a new local branch off of develop called
> feature-printing. After checking out feature-printing, making my
> changes, and committing changes, I merged it with develop. I then
> immediately tried to delete feature-printing, which resulted in a
> prompt asking if I was sure since it might contain uncommitted
> changes. Though I've seen this problem many times on the internet, I
> haven't seen it in the context of literally just merging. There are 0
> steps between merging and deleting the old branch.

What's the exact warning?  It seems unlikely that your Git interface
would complain about *uncommitted* changes in this context.

> All of this is done in Visual Studio's GUI for Git. Any ideas?

Maybe ask on a Visual Studio forum instead, in case this is something
generated by the front end?

Florian