* How to upgrade Qt modules in daisy branch
@ 2018-08-09 10:10 Ankur Tyagi
From: Ankur Tyagi @ 2018-08-09 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-core

Our product is based upon 'daisy' branch (I know it's pretty old !) and now
we have a need to support BLE in it (typical business case).

My inner-self says it's the right time to upgrade everything but from
business unit point of view, best would be to upgrade "just enough" to get
BLE working.

So I upgraded Bluez4.101 to Bluez5.46 which went well but when I started
upgrading QtConnectivity from v5.4.1 to v5.11.0 then things started falling
apart.

It seems from v5.8 onward, Qt adopted new configuration system which is
causing configuration and compilation failures when building QtConnectivity.
Following change in recipe doesn't work.

-PACKAGECONFIG[bluez] = "CONFIG+=OE_BLUEZ_ENABLED,,bluez4"
+PACKAGECONFIG[bluez] = "-feature-bluez,-no-feature-bluez,bluez5"

Is there a way I can upgrade QtConnectivity to v5.11 while staying on daisy
branch ? Or is it just not possible to do so ?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Ankur

* Re: How to upgrade Qt modules in daisy branch
@ 2018-08-09 12:26 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2018-08-09 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ankur Tyagi; +Cc: openembedded-core

> Our product is based upon 'daisy' branch (I know it's pretty old !) and now
> we have a need to support BLE in it (typical business case).
>
> My inner-self says it's the right time to upgrade everything but from
> business unit point of view, best would be to upgrade "just enough" to get
> BLE working.
>
> So I upgraded Bluez4.101 to Bluez5.46 which went well but when I started
> upgrading QtConnectivity from v5.4.1 to v5.11.0 then things started falling
> apart.
>
> It seems from v5.8 onward, Qt adopted new configuration system which is
> causing configuration and compilation failures when building QtConnectivity.
> Following change in recipe doesn't work.
>
> -PACKAGECONFIG[bluez] = "CONFIG+=OE_BLUEZ_ENABLED,,bluez4"
> +PACKAGECONFIG[bluez] = "-feature-bluez,-no-feature-bluez,bluez5"
>

> Is there a way I can upgrade QtConnectivity to v5.11 while staying on daisy
> branch ? Or is it just not possible to do so ?
>
> Any help is appreciated.

Staying close to upstream should be a continuous, ongoing activity,
and not a massive, disruptive effort when it's already too late :)

As for your specific need, it's basically not possible to tell what
you will need to fix and change. Recent version of Qt may need recent
versions of other things they depend on, and those recent other things
may pull in even more other recent things. They may even need a recent
C++ compiler which supports recent C++ standard, and when you bring in
that compiler, you will find that there's a ton of other things that
compiled before and need fixing now. The whole thing may quickly
unravel and become intractable - essentially you'll be upgrading the
whole stack while still calling it 'daisy'.

Alex

* Re: How to upgrade Qt modules in daisy branch
@ 2018-08-09 12:40 ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2018-08-09 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ankur.tyagi85; +Cc: Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

For daisy you probably don't have support for PACKAGECONFIG_CONFARGS which
was added in Yocto 2.1 krogoth.

Read the meta-qt5 commit about PACKAGECONFIG_CONFARGS.

It's relatively easy to fix (I was also using older OE with newer Qt5), but
it's unsupported, so you're on your own and you need to figure out the
details yourself.

Cheers,

@ 2018-08-09 16:16   ` Andreas Müller
From: Andreas Müller @ 2018-08-09 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa
  Cc: ankur.tyagi85, Patches and discussions about the oe-core layer

On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 2:40 PM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa@gmail.com> wrote:
> For daisy you probably don't have support for PACKAGECONFIG_CONFARGS which
> was added in Yocto 2.1 krogoth.

I remember doing similar for other reasons. We have images based on
jethro (ok - daisy is a bit older) with later Qt's. Our builds are
based on [1] but I created branches up to Qt5.9 (stable release - but
not updated to latest) [2] for jethro.

It's not daisy - not Qt5.11 - no guarantees - but maybe a start.

[1] https://github.com/schnitzeltony/meta-qt5/tree/jethro+5.7
[2] https://github.com/schnitzeltony/meta-qt5/tree/jethro+5.9

Andreas

* Re: How to upgrade Qt modules in daisy branch
@ 2018-08-09 19:56     ` Ankur Tyagi
From: Ankur Tyagi @ 2018-08-09 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Müller; +Cc: openembedded-core