* .kernel-meta/configs folder missing make linux-raspberrypi to fail
@ 2017-12-10 17:14 Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2017-12-10 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi everybody,

I'm building a vanilla image for MACHINE=raspberrypi3-64. I'm doing the
build for the first time and faced an error at
linux-raspberrypi:do_kernel_configme. I found that .kernel-meta/configs
folder was missing, so I fired a devshell and created it. After that
everything works as expected and linux-raspberrypi build fines.

The solution I got is palliative, what would be the real solution and what
is this .kernel-meta folder? I had never seem this folder before.

“If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. ..."
  Charles Bukowski

* Re: .kernel-meta/configs folder missing make linux-raspberrypi to fail
@ 2017-12-11 11:17 ` Paul Barker
From: Paul Barker @ 2017-12-11 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel.; +Cc: yocto

On Sun, Dec 10, 2017 at 5:14 PM, Daniel. <danielhilst@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I'm building a vanilla image for MACHINE=raspberrypi3-64. I'm doing the
> build for the first time and faced an error at
> linux-raspberrypi:do_kernel_configme. I found that .kernel-meta/configs
> folder was missing, so I fired a devshell and created it. After that
> everything works as expected and linux-raspberrypi build fines.
>
> The solution I got is palliative, what would be the real solution and what
> is this .kernel-meta folder? I had never seem this folder before.

I have seen this issue occasionally when the do_kernel_configme task
is re-executed. A "bitbake virtual/kernel -c clean" has always
resolved this for me, allowing the next build to succeed. It doesn't
occur on my autobuild systems though so I figure it's an edge case I'm
hitting when building locally as I'm hacking around on recipes.

I've never seen this on the first build of the kernel though.

Which version of Yocto are you using? Could you send us the build
configuration summary and the full error messages printed by bitbake?

Paul Barker
Togán Labs Ltd

* Re: .kernel-meta/configs folder missing make linux-raspberrypi to fail
@ 2017-12-11 11:26   ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2017-12-11 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker; +Cc: yocto

Yeah but I got to face the error again, maybe tonight when I get home :)

@ 2017-12-11 11:34     ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2017-12-11 11:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker; +Cc: yocto

I can anticipate some info for you. I'm on version 2.4 Rocko. Building
rpi-hwup-image for MACHINE=rasbiberrypi3-64. Also is worth noting that I'm
running Fedora 27 which wasn't tested...

I'll try to get the full log tonight and let you know

Regards

@ 2017-12-14  2:27       ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2017-12-14  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker; +Cc: yocto

Okay, sorry for the late reply!

I could reproduce the same error again, I just cleanall and then build
linux-raspberrypi again. Let's go to the logs:

The whole output: https://pastebin.com/zHLpPf5V
My config: https://pastebin.com/mKJb2tyJ
Configured layers: https://pastebin.com/7UakkhHJ
https://pastebin.com/xKRd8rDr
The layers commits: https://pastebin.com/9pJCrdh4

I'll let it stay in this state, so if you need any other information just
let me know and I gather it for you. Again, I'm on fedora 27, kernel
4.14.3-300.fc27.x86_64, i3, 8GB ram. I think this is it.

Regards!

--

@ 2017-12-14  2:30         ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2017-12-14  2:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Barker; +Cc: yocto

PS: I just notice now that I have meta-python duplicated at bblayers.conf,

--

@ 2017-12-14  5:31       ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2017-12-14  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel.; +Cc: Yocto Project

> Also is worth noting that I'm running Fedora 27 which wasn't tested...

You should start from here your investigation, since you are on not tested
YOCTO host distribution. And Fedoras are
different from release to release, certainly!

So either you should downgrade your fedora 27 to 26 (which I doubt it is
possible), better to build brand new Fedora 26
using exactly the same packages.

Here is a bit of help: to port all the packages to fresh installed Fedora
26, use the following command to retrieve
packages from Fedora 27: rpm -qa --qf "%{name}.%{arch}\n" >
packages-list.txt

Zoran

@ 2017-12-14  5:47         ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2017-12-14  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoran Stojsavljevic; +Cc: Yocto Project

I'm seeing the same build errors in linux-raspberrypi with various versions
of Gentoo and Ubuntu (mostly tested with 14.04 and 16.04), I doubt that
this issue is specific for Fedora 27.

@ 2017-12-14  6:44           ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2017-12-14  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Jansa; +Cc: Yocto Project

> I'm seeing the same build errors in linux-raspberrypi with various
versions of Gentoo and
> Ubuntu (mostly tested with 14.04 and 16.04), I doubt that this issue is
specific for Fedora 27.

Divide and Conquer. ;-)

Good. New details emerged. So one problem off the potential problem list.

Zoran

@ 2017-12-15 13:09         ` Gunnar Andersson
From: Gunnar Andersson @ 2017-12-15 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zoran Stojsavljevic, Daniel.; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Thu, 2017-12-14 at 06:31 +0100, Zoran Stojsavljevic wrote:
> > Also is worth noting that I'm running Fedora 27 which wasn't tested...
>
> You should start from here your investigation, since you are on not tested
> YOCTO host distribution. And Fedoras are
> different from release to release, certainly!
>
> So either you should downgrade your fedora 27 to 26 (which I doubt it is
> possible), better to build brand new Fedora 26 using exactly the same
> packages.

Oh no, don't downgrade your distro. :-)

Docker is your friend for a repeatable and tested Yocto build environment
(In Fedora of course systemd-nspawn and other esoteric choices may exist).

We usually use & recommend easy-build project [1] (except for the CI system
build agents that needed a little bit more, and when I set that up I was
also more accustomed with using phusion/baseimage docker image over standard
Ubuntu).

If you find anything lacking, I'm sure it will accept pull requests - just
fork & extend in the meantime.  Honestly, it's quite trivial for anyone to
reproduce such Docker files, but Gianpaolo set up a structure and a project
here.  IMHO, we just need ANY canonical source for a base distro with an
official list of yocto/poky required packages ready to go, so why not use
this one & support it with any needed update?

HTH
- Gunnar

[1] https://github.com/gmacario/easy-build

--
Gunnar Andersson <gandersson@genivi.org>
Development Lead

@ 2017-12-15 14:50           ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2017-12-15 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gunnar Andersson; +Cc: Yocto Project

As I told before, by pass this is a simple matter of running devshell,
creating the folder and running running the build again,

Paul ask me for more information and so I did, I'll remove that duplicated
layer and fire `bitbake -fc cleanall linux-raspberry && bitbake
linux-rapsberry` again, if I hit this I may try some digging. I don't think
this has to do with Fedora version, anyway, sooner or latter this version
will be tested, so this same error may arise, and at that time we'll be
doing the same questions, so, why to wait?

--

@ 2017-12-15 14:55             ` Gunnar Andersson
From: Gunnar Andersson @ 2017-12-15 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel.; +Cc: Yocto Project

On Fri, 2017-12-15 at 12:50 -0200, Daniel. wrote:
> As I told before, by pass this is a simple matter of running devshell,
> creating the folder and running running the build again,
>
> Paul ask me for more information and so I did, I'll remove that duplicated
> layer and fire `bitbake -fc cleanall linux-raspberry && bitbake linux-
> rapsberry` again, if I hit this I may try some digging. I don't think this
> has to do with Fedora version, anyway, sooner or latter this version will
> be tested, so this same error may arise, and at that time we'll be doing
> the same questions, so, why to wait?

Agreed!  It would seem strange if it's a host problem, and even if it were,
it's better to get to the bottom of it, so that the latest popular distros
work as intended.  I just reacted to Zoran's suggestion, with what I find to
at least be a better alternative for controlling the build host.

Good luck!

- Gunnar

@ 2017-12-15 16:08               ` Zoran Stojsavljevic
From: Zoran Stojsavljevic @ 2017-12-15 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gunnar Andersson; +Cc: Yocto Project

> I just reacted to Zoran's suggestion, with what I find to at least be a
better alternative for controlling the build host.

Gunnar,

You (probably) did not read Martin's (Jansa) comment on my initial, and my
reply. I already reverted my decision on
downgrading Fedora and other distros.

Zoran

@ 2017-12-17  2:08                 ` Daniel.
From: Daniel. @ 2017-12-17  2:08 UTC (permalink / raw)