* [RFC] Documentation: --options in man-pages synopsys
@ 2013-10-08 12:07 Dmitry Ivankov
From: Dmitry Ivankov @ 2013-10-08 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Git List

Hi,

I've noticed that man git-pack-objects describes cmdline as following

SYNOPSYS
'git pack-objects' [-q | --progress | --all-progress] [--all-progress-implied]
[--no-reuse-delta] [--delta-base-offset] [--non-empty]
[--local] [--incremental] [--window=<n>] [--depth=<n>]
[--revs [--unpacked | --all]] [--stdout | base-name]
[--keep-true-parents] < object-list

while OPTIONS sections has even more options, --no-reuse-objects for instance.

Should it be dealt with and how?
- add smth like ... at the tail of options in synopsys to indicate
that there are more options
- add all the [--options] to synopsys
- drop all the [--options] as they all are optional
- pick only the most common/important ones like -q --progress, per
command or per command classes (hard to maintain and/or verify?)

* RE: [RFC] Documentation: --options in man-pages synopsys
@ 2013-10-08 14:03 ` Loyall, David
From: Loyall, David @ 2013-10-08 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Ivankov, Git List

As a unix user I'd expect the SYNOPSIS section at the top of the man page to include all options that the command accepts.  Mutually exclusive options are expected to be in the form [-q | --progress | --all-progress], such is already done.

I believe that you'd be safe in following http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap12.html unless the git-* family of commands and documentation deviate from it in a way that I am not aware of.

Hope this helps,
--Dave

@ 2013-10-09 22:35   ` Philip Oakley
> As a unix user I'd expect the SYNOPSIS section at the top of the man
> page to include all options that the command accepts.  Mutually
> exclusive options are expected to be in the form [-q | --progress
> | --all-progress], such is already done.
>
> I believe that you'd be safe in following
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap12.html
> unless the git-* family of commands and documentation deviate from it
> in a way that I am not aware of.

For an example of a command with a long list of options try `git
rev-parse --help`.

SYNOPSIS
    git rev-parse [ --option ] <args>.

Philip

@ 2013-10-10  1:52     ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2013-10-10  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Philip Oakley; +Cc: Loyall, David, Dmitry Ivankov, Git List

On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 11:35:19PM +0100, Philip Oakley wrote:

> >As a unix user I'd expect the SYNOPSIS section at the top of the
> >man page to include all options that the command accepts.  Mutually
> >exclusive options are expected to be in the form [-q | --progress |
> >--all-progress], such is already done.
> >
> >I believe that you'd be safe in following http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap12.html
> >unless the git-* family of commands and documentation deviate from
> >it in a way that I am not aware of.
>

> For an example of a command with a long list of options try `git
> rev-parse --help`.
>
> SYNOPSIS
>    git rev-parse [ --option ] <args>.

The current documentation is quite inconsistent between the two forms.
Personally, I favor the shorter form as I think the longer ones end up
quite unwieldy (see "git help rev-list" for example). But I do think the
synopsis should show the major modes of the command. You can see
examples of both in the GNU pages for "cat" and "sort":

  $ man cat | sed -n '/SYNOPSIS/,${p; /^$/q}'
  SYNOPSIS
         cat [OPTION]... [FILE]...

  $ man sort | sed -n '/SYNOPSIS/,${p; /^$/q}'
  SYNOPSIS
         sort [OPTION]... [FILE]...
         sort [OPTION]... --files0-from=F

A similar example in git would be "git help branch", whose synopsis
should include listing mode, creation mode, deleting mode, etc.

However, I am not sure everyone on the list agrees with me on this. Last
time it came up (which was probably several years now) there was some
discussion but not enough consensus for somebody to actually go through
and standardize it.

-Peff