* udev_141 vs. udev_network_queue.sh
@ 2012-03-13 15:06 Mario Schuknecht
From: Mario Schuknecht @ 2012-03-13 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Hi,

we use udev_141.bb and an USB-WLAN modem. The WLAN modem is configured in
/etc/network/interfaces as ra0 and ifup ra0 works fine.
After a boot of our system the WLAN modem network interface is not
configured. I think the problem is that udev starts prior to networking.
root@3065-4-00001:~# ls -l /etc/rcS.d/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 14 Mar 9 16:34 S03udev -> ../init.d/udev
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 20 Mar 9 16:34 S40networking -> ../init.d/networking

The udev script /etc/udev/scripts/network.sh writes all not configured
interfaces into the file /dev/udev_network_queue
root@3065-4-00001:~# cat /dev/udev_network_queue
eth0
lo
ra0
But no script or program check this file.
I googled  udev_network_queue and found an old bitbake recipe
http://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/slugos/releases/slugos-3.10-beta/openembedded/packages/udev/udev_084.bb
that
installs  udev_network_queue.sh.
That script checks this files and starts the interfaces.

Why is this file not installed any longer? Is there any other way or
concept to handle this situation?

Kind regards,

Mario

--
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Otto-Schmirgal-Str. 3, 10319 Berlin, Germany

Tel: +49 30 515932-240  mailto:schuknecht@dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 30 515932-299
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Weber, Werner Mögle;
Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg; HRB 130120 B;
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058

* Re: udev_141 vs. udev_network_queue.sh
@ 2012-03-15 13:32 ` Steffen Sledz
From: Steffen Sledz @ 2012-03-15 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 13.03.2012 16:06, Mario Schuknecht wrote:
> The udev script /etc/udev/scripts/network.sh writes all not configured
> interfaces into the file /dev/udev_network_queue
> root@3065-4-00001:~# cat /dev/udev_network_queue
> eth0
> lo
> ra0
> But no script or program check this file.
> I googled  udev_network_queue and found an old bitbake recipe
> http://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/slugos/releases/slugos-3.10-beta/openembedded/packages/udev/udev_084.bb
> that
> installs  udev_network_queue.sh.
> That script checks this files and starts the interfaces.
>
> Why is this file not installed any longer? Is there any other way or
> concept to handle this situation?

It seems that the installation of this script was lost in between udev_084 and udev_089. The latter was introduced by Philipp Zabel (commit 83e3ce3dbc5f49a7c8ee4b535ed14d8938c252aa).

Can someone remember if this script wasn't installed any longer by intention or by mistake?

Should it be installed in later udev versions again?

Regards,
Steffen

--
Tel: +49 30 515932-237 mailto:sledz@dresearch-fe.de

@ 2012-03-19  8:56   ` Philipp Zabel
From: Philipp Zabel @ 2012-03-19  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Steffen Sledz; +Cc: openembedded-devel

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:32 PM, Steffen Sledz <sledz@dresearch-fe.de> wrote:
> On 13.03.2012 16:06, Mario Schuknecht wrote:
>> The udev script /etc/udev/scripts/network.sh writes all not configured
>> interfaces into the file /dev/udev_network_queue
>> root@3065-4-00001:~# cat /dev/udev_network_queue
>> eth0
>> lo
>> ra0
>> But no script or program check this file.
>> I googled  udev_network_queue and found an old bitbake recipe
>> http://svn.nslu2-linux.org/svnroot/slugos/releases/slugos-3.10-beta/openembedded/packages/udev/udev_084.bb
>> that
>> installs  udev_network_queue.sh.
>> That script checks this files and starts the interfaces.
>>
>> Why is this file not installed any longer? Is there any other way or
>> concept to handle this situation?
>
> It seems that the installation of this script was lost in between udev_084 and udev_089. The latter was introduced by Philipp Zabel (commit 83e3ce3dbc5f49a7c8ee4b535ed14d8938c252aa).
>
> Can someone remember if this script wasn't installed any longer by intention or by mistake?
>
> Should it be installed in later udev versions again?

I do not remember removing this script consciously.
If it still solves a real use case, maybe it should be added back again.

regards
Philipp