* Re: [v5] x86/mm/KASLR: Fix the size of vmemmap section
@ 2019-06-04 11:46 Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2019-06-04 11:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baoquan He; +Cc: stable, Sasha Levin, Greg Kroah-Hartman

[ CC me I am not subscribed to linux-stable ML ]
[ CC Greg and Sasha ]

Hi Baoquan,

that should be s/Fiexes/Fixes for the "Fixes tag".

OLD: Fiexes: eedb92abb9bb ("x86/mm: Make virtual memory layout dynamic
for CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y")
NEW: Fixes: eedb92abb9bb ("x86/mm: Make virtual memory layout dynamic
for CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y")

Also, you can add...

Cc: stable@vger.kernel.org # v4.19+

...to catch the below.

[ QUOTE ]
You can see that it was added in kernel 4.17-rc1, as above. Can we just
apply this patch to stable trees after 4.17?

> v5.1.4: Build OK!
> v5.0.18: Build OK!
> v4.19.45: Build OK!
[ /QUOTE ]

I had an early patchset of you tested (which included this one IIRC),
so feel free to add my...

   Tested-by: Sedat Dilek <sedat.dilek@gmail.com>

Hope this lands in tip or linux-stable Git.

Thanks.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/patchwork/patch/1077557/

* Re: [v5] x86/mm/KASLR: Fix the size of vmemmap section
@ 2019-06-12 10:15 ` Baoquan He
From: Baoquan He @ 2019-06-12 10:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sedat Dilek; +Cc: stable, Sasha Levin, Greg Kroah-Hartman

On 06/04/19 at 01:46pm, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> [ CC me I am not subscribed to linux-stable ML ]
> [ CC Greg and Sasha ]
>
> Hi Baoquan,
>
> that should be s/Fiexes/Fixes for the "Fixes tag".
>
> OLD: Fiexes: eedb92abb9bb ("x86/mm: Make virtual memory layout dynamic
> for CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y")
> NEW: Fixes: eedb92abb9bb ("x86/mm: Make virtual memory layout dynamic
> for CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y")
>
> Also, you can add...
>
> Cc: stable@vger.kernel.org # v4.19+
>
> ...to catch the below.
>
> [ QUOTE ]
> You can see that it was added in kernel 4.17-rc1, as above. Can we just
> apply this patch to stable trees after 4.17?

Oops, I just noticed this mail today, sorry.

Boris has picked it into tip/x86/urgent. It should be in linus's tree
very soon. Appreciate your help anyway.

Thanks
Baoquan

@ 2019-06-12 12:48   ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2019-06-12 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baoquan He; +Cc: stable, Sasha Levin, Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:15 PM Baoquan He <bhe@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 06/04/19 at 01:46pm, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> > [ CC me I am not subscribed to linux-stable ML ]
> > [ CC Greg and Sasha ]
> >
> > Hi Baoquan,
> >
> > that should be s/Fiexes/Fixes for the "Fixes tag".
> >
> > OLD: Fiexes: eedb92abb9bb ("x86/mm: Make virtual memory layout dynamic
> > for CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y")
> > NEW: Fixes: eedb92abb9bb ("x86/mm: Make virtual memory layout dynamic
> > for CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y")
> >
> > Also, you can add...
> >
> > Cc: stable@vger.kernel.org # v4.19+
> >
> > ...to catch the below.
> >
> > [ QUOTE ]
> > You can see that it was added in kernel 4.17-rc1, as above. Can we just
> > apply this patch to stable trees after 4.17?
>
> Oops, I just noticed this mail today, sorry.
>
> Boris has picked it into tip/x86/urgent. It should be in linus's tree
> very soon. Appreciate your help anyway.

I have applied the patch set from [0] and booted into the new kernel.

But I have set...

CONFIG_PGTABLE_LEVELS=4
# CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL is not set

To test this I need CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y?
Best two kernels with and without your patch.

- Sedat -

[0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/tip/tip.git/commit/?h=x86/urgent&id=00e5a2bbcc31d5fea853f8daeba0f06c1c88c3ff
[1] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/Documentation/x86/x86_64/5level-paging.rst

@ 2019-06-12 13:19     ` Baoquan He
From: Baoquan He @ 2019-06-12 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sedat Dilek; +Cc: stable, Sasha Levin, Greg Kroah-Hartman

On 06/12/19 at 02:48pm, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:15 PM Baoquan He <bhe@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 06/04/19 at 01:46pm, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> > > [ CC me I am not subscribed to linux-stable ML ]
> > > [ CC Greg and Sasha ]
> > >
> > > Hi Baoquan,
> > >
> > > that should be s/Fiexes/Fixes for the "Fixes tag".
> > >
> > > OLD: Fiexes: eedb92abb9bb ("x86/mm: Make virtual memory layout dynamic
> > > for CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y")
> > > NEW: Fixes: eedb92abb9bb ("x86/mm: Make virtual memory layout dynamic
> > > for CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y")
> > >
> > > Also, you can add...
> > >
> > > Cc: stable@vger.kernel.org # v4.19+
> > >
> > > ...to catch the below.
> > >
> > > [ QUOTE ]
> > > You can see that it was added in kernel 4.17-rc1, as above. Can we just
> > > apply this patch to stable trees after 4.17?
> >
> > Oops, I just noticed this mail today, sorry.
> >
> > Boris has picked it into tip/x86/urgent. It should be in linus's tree
> > very soon. Appreciate your help anyway.
> >

> I have applied the patch set from [0] and booted into the new kernel.
>
> But I have set...
>
> CONFIG_PGTABLE_LEVELS=4
> # CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL is not set
>
> To test this I need CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y?
> Best two kernels with and without your patch.

Yeah, with CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y.

In fact I didn't have chance to trigger the issue to reproduce, then
apply this patch to fix. As you know, the machine with large memory is
too few. This is a code bug, so I just run the level 4 kernel and level
5 kernel to test the basic functionality.

If you have machine owning RAM 64 TB, and it supports 5-level, you can
build two kernels w and w/o this patch, it's easy to reproduce.

@ 2019-06-12 13:23       ` Baoquan He
From: Baoquan He @ 2019-06-12 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sedat Dilek; +Cc: stable, Sasha Levin, Greg Kroah-Hartman

On 06/12/19 at 09:19pm, Baoquan He wrote:
> On 06/12/19 at 02:48pm, Sedat Dilek wrote:

> > > Oops, I just noticed this mail today, sorry.
> > >
> > > Boris has picked it into tip/x86/urgent. It should be in linus's tree
> > > very soon. Appreciate your help anyway.
> > >

> > I have applied the patch set from [0] and booted into the new kernel.
> >
> > But I have set...
> >
> > CONFIG_PGTABLE_LEVELS=4
> > # CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL is not set
> >
> > To test this I need CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y?
> > Best two kernels with and without your patch.
>
> Yeah, with CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y.
>
> In fact I didn't have chance to trigger the issue to reproduce, then
> apply this patch to fix. As you know, the machine with large memory is
> too few. This is a code bug, so I just run the level 4 kernel and level
> 5 kernel to test the basic functionality.
>
> If you have machine owning RAM 64 TB, and it supports 5-level, you can
			     ~~~~
		            Here, I meant owning RAM larger than 64 TB

@ 2019-06-12 13:41         ` Sedat Dilek
From: Sedat Dilek @ 2019-06-12 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Baoquan He; +Cc: stable, Sasha Levin, Greg Kroah-Hartman

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:23 PM Baoquan He <bhe@redhat.com> wrote:
[...]
> > > I have applied the patch set from [0] and booted into the new kernel.
> > >
> > > But I have set...
> > >
> > > CONFIG_PGTABLE_LEVELS=4
> > > # CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL is not set
> > >
> > > To test this I need CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y?
> > > Best two kernels with and without your patch.
> >
> > Yeah, with CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y.
> >
> > In fact I didn't have chance to trigger the issue to reproduce, then
> > apply this patch to fix. As you know, the machine with large memory is
> > too few. This is a code bug, so I just run the level 4 kernel and level
> > 5 kernel to test the basic functionality.
> >
> > If you have machine owning RAM 64 TB, and it supports 5-level, you can
>                              ~~~~
>                             Here, I meant owning RAM larger than 64 TB
>
> > build two kernels w and w/o this patch, it's easy to reproduce.

Hi Baoquan,

No, I have no 64-TB-machine here.

I have seen that the Kconfig help text [0] says...

 See Documentation/x86/x86_64/5level-paging.txt for more
 information.

That should be s/5level-paging.txt/5level-paging.rst.
I can send a patch if you like.

Can you look at the text of [1] - are the informations up2date?

Thanks.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/Kconfig#n1481

@ 2019-06-12 14:11           ` Baoquan He
From: Baoquan He @ 2019-06-12 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sedat Dilek; +Cc: stable, Sasha Levin, Greg Kroah-Hartman

On 06/12/19 at 03:41pm, Sedat Dilek wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:23 PM Baoquan He <bhe@redhat.com> wrote:

> I have seen that the Kconfig help text [0] says...
>
>  See Documentation/x86/x86_64/5level-paging.txt for more
>  information.
>
> That should be s/5level-paging.txt/5level-paging.rst.
> I can send a patch if you like.

Yeah, it should be updated.

> Can you look at the text of [1] - are the informations up2date?

I saw below sentence need be updated too, it should be Documentation/x86/x86_64/mm.rst.

Virtual memory layout for 5-level paging is described in
Documentation/x86/x86_64/mm.txt