* Best plan for recovery if disk holding monitor data dies
@ 2012-02-14  1:38 Mandell Degerness
From: Mandell Degerness @ 2012-02-14  1:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

What would you recommend as the best recovery strategy when the disk
holding the monitor data for a given monitor fails?

Should I recover from a periodic back up and re-start the monitor or
should I treat it as a new monitor being added to the cluster?  I
suspect the former, but i'd like confirmation.  Any information on
gotcha's would be useful as well.

Regards,
Mandell Degerness

* Re: Best plan for recovery if disk holding monitor data dies
@ 2012-02-14  5:09 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2012-02-14  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mandell Degerness; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Mandell Degerness wrote:
> What would you recommend as the best recovery strategy when the disk
> holding the monitor data for a given monitor fails?
>
> Should I recover from a periodic back up and re-start the monitor or
> should I treat it as a new monitor being added to the cluster?  I
> suspect the former, but i'd like confirmation.  Any information on
> gotcha's would be useful as well.

The simplest is to treat is as a new addition.

sage

* Re: Best plan for recovery if disk holding monitor data dies
@ 2012-02-14 17:12   ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2012-02-14 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mandell Degerness; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Sage Weil wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Feb 2012, Mandell Degerness wrote:
> > What would you recommend as the best recovery strategy when the disk
> > holding the monitor data for a given monitor fails?
> >
> > Should I recover from a periodic back up and re-start the monitor or
> > should I treat it as a new monitor being added to the cluster?  I
> > suspect the former, but i'd like confirmation.  Any information on
> > gotcha's would be useful as well.
>
> The simplest is to treat is as a new addition.

Just to clarify, you should re-add the "new" mon with the same name and IP
as the one that failed.  The process is nearly identical, except that
'newname' is 'oldname':

	http://ceph.newdream.net/docs/latest/ops/manage/grow/mon/

sage