* Nova on RBD Device
@ 2012-02-07 19:01 Mandell Degerness
From: Mandell Degerness @ 2012-02-07 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Can anyone point me in the right direction for setting up Nova so that
it allocates disk space on RBD device(s) rather than on local disk as
defined in the --instances_path flag?

I've already got nova-volume working with RBD.

I suspect that I need to modify _cache_image and _create_image in
nova/virt/libvirt/connection.py.

Regards,
Mandell Degerness

* Re: Nova on RBD Device
@ 2012-02-07 23:15 ` Florian Haas
From: Florian Haas @ 2012-02-07 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:01 PM, Mandell Degerness
<mandell@pistoncloud.com> wrote:
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for setting up Nova so that
> it allocates disk space on RBD device(s) rather than on local disk as
> defined in the --instances_path flag?
>
> I've already got nova-volume working with RBD.
>
> I suspect that I need to modify _cache_image and _create_image in
> nova/virt/libvirt/connection.py.

Hmmm. Wouldn't that most likely be a question for the openstack list?
subscribe, if you haven't already.

Cheers,
Florian

--
Need help with High Availability?
http://www.hastexo.com/now

* Re: Nova on RBD Device
@ 2012-02-08  2:32 ` Josh Durgin
From: Josh Durgin @ 2012-02-08  2:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mandell Degerness; +Cc: ceph-devel

On 02/07/2012 11:01 AM, Mandell Degerness wrote:
> Can anyone point me in the right direction for setting up Nova so that
> it allocates disk space on RBD device(s) rather than on local disk as
> defined in the --instances_path flag?

You probably want to use the boot-from-volume api extension. I think
there's support in nova-client for this now.

> I've already got nova-volume working with RBD.
>
> I suspect that I need to modify _cache_image and _create_image in
> nova/virt/libvirt/connection.py.

Nova itself doesn't know how to do I/O to volumes - it just knows how to
configure a hypervisor to use one. You'll need to attach the volume to
an existing vm to write an image to it, or use a hack like:

rbd rm pool/image && qemu-img convert -f raw -O rbd /path/to/img
rbd:pool/image

In the future, once rbd layering is implemented, we'd like to be able to
store images in rbd via glance, and clone them into bootable nova volumes.