* IMAGE_BOOTLOADER vs. PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader
@ 2014-04-15 18:23 Mario Domenech Goulart
From: Mario Domenech Goulart @ 2014-04-15 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hi,

I'm making a script to extract data out of bitbake's cache metadata and
stumbled upon IMAGE_BOOTLOADER.

Is there any special reason to use IMAGE_BOOTLOADER instead of
PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader?

Best wishes.
Mario
--
http://www.ossystems.com.br

* Re: IMAGE_BOOTLOADER vs. PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader
@ 2014-04-16 17:56 ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2014-04-16 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Domenech Goulart; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Mario Domenech Goulart
<mario@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm making a script to extract data out of bitbake's cache metadata and
> stumbled upon IMAGE_BOOTLOADER.
>
> Is there any special reason to use IMAGE_BOOTLOADER instead of
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader?

It is used in image_types_fsl.bbclass [1] during the sdcard creation.

I´m not sure if it would be, currently, absolutely needed.... but it
seems to be working.

[1] http://git.yoctoproject.org/cgit/cgit.cgi/meta-fsl-arm/tree/classes/image_types_fsl.bbclass#n185

Thanks for asking,
Daiane

@ 2014-04-20 19:44 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-04-20 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mario Domenech Goulart; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hello Mario,

On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Mario Domenech Goulart
<mario@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
> I'm making a script to extract data out of bitbake's cache metadata and
> stumbled upon IMAGE_BOOTLOADER.
>
> Is there any special reason to use IMAGE_BOOTLOADER instead of
> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader?

Very good point.  I think when I did the class, for SD card
generation, we hadn't this around (or I missed it).

Looking at it, this should indeed be dropped but it is going to need
some work as we need to provide a u-boot-dummy for the cases when we
don't need a bootloader in the SD card image, as it is the case for
Nitrogen boards for example.

We can discuss how to address it for 1.7 later.

* Re: IMAGE_BOOTLOADER vs. PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader
@ 2014-04-22 19:59   ` Mario Domenech Goulart
From: Mario Domenech Goulart @ 2014-04-22 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

Hi,

On Sun, 20 Apr 2014 16:44:15 -0300 Otavio Salvador <otavio@ossystems.com.br> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 15, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Mario Domenech Goulart
> <mario@ossystems.com.br> wrote:
>> I'm making a script to extract data out of bitbake's cache metadata and
>> stumbled upon IMAGE_BOOTLOADER.
>>
>> Is there any special reason to use IMAGE_BOOTLOADER instead of
>> PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader?
>
> Very good point.  I think when I did the class, for SD card
> generation, we hadn't this around (or I missed it).
>
> Looking at it, this should indeed be dropped but it is going to need
> some work as we need to provide a u-boot-dummy for the cases when we
> don't need a bootloader in the SD card image, as it is the case for
> Nitrogen boards for example.
>
> We can discuss how to address it for 1.7 later.

Ok.

There are also boards which set PREFERRED_PROVIDER_u-boot.  As far as I
understand, PREFERRED_PROVIDER_virtual/bootloader would do the trick for
those cases too.

Best wishes.
Mario
--