* Minutes of FSL Community BSP Meeting in 2014-07-03
@ 2014-07-03 16:38 Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-07-03 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Atendees
* Stephano Cetola
* Ragan Dunham
* Eric Nelson
* John Weber
* Zhenhua Luo
* Rogério Nunes
* Prabhu S
* Daiane Angolini
* Otavio Salvador

Action items
* Mario is going to review the user guide and FAQ to help checking
spelling and more
* Eric and Otavio will discuss the draft of a "Statement of Purpose"
and  later open it to discussion in the mailing list
* Zhenhua Luo will draft a roadmap and documentation about meta-fsl-ppc
* Daiane will make a branch for 1.7 release for Documentation repository
* Trevor to go through and update elinux.org website with
community-bsp info/links
* Otavio will add a section about how to send Documention patches
* send email to ML to ask how many users can/will join in next meeting
meta-fsl-ppc
* Technical implications
   * list the technical implications to guide the test
* Roadmap
   * documentation/ Release notes
      * link to kernel upstream mailing list
   * testing
   * files/recipes/bbappend adapting

* Re: Minutes of FSL Community BSP Meeting in 2014-07-03
@ 2014-07-03 16:49 ` Trevor Woerner
From: Trevor Woerner @ 2014-07-03 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador, meta-freescale

On 07/03/14 12:38, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> Atendees
* Trevor Woerner

:-)

* Re: Minutes of FSL Community BSP Meeting in 2014-07-03
@ 2014-07-04 13:01   ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2014-07-04 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Trevor Woerner; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

> On 07/03/14 12:38, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>> Atendees
> * Trevor Woerner

I would like to know, as well, who preferred to be read only and was
present only as listener.

In my hangout window I remember I saw 19 attendees. Otavio, do you
have any additional stats from google regarding the listeners?

Oh, is the video recorded in youtube?

Daiane

* Re: Minutes of FSL Community BSP Meeting in 2014-07-03
@ 2014-07-04 15:18     ` Bob Cochran
From: Bob Cochran @ 2014-07-04 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

On 07/04/2014 09:01 AM, Daiane Angolini wrote:
>> On 07/03/14 12:38, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>>> Atendees
>> * Trevor Woerner
>>

> I would like to know, as well, who preferred to be read only and was
> present only as listener.

I was listen-only due to my location yesterday, but I'll try to
participate actively from now on.

It's great that fsl & community will move to incorporate the
meta-fsl-ppc layer.   I intend to help in this area.

Was a decision made on how to differentiate between community-bsp-imx
and commmunity-bsp-qoriq with the latter including both arm and powerpc
for qoriq devices?

Or is the community working towards just maintaining a bsp for both iMX
and QorIQ devices?

For example, in the future, when I see a mail thread titled
"fsl-community-bsp: signing up for testing", does this mean that we want
to test both iMX and QorIQ platforms?   Two different beasts with
different developers and customers.

Bob

@ 2014-07-04 16:13     ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-07-04 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiane Angolini; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 10:01 AM, Daiane Angolini <daiane.list@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 07/03/14 12:38, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>>> Atendees
>> * Trevor Woerner
>>

> I would like to know, as well, who preferred to be read only and was
> present only as listener.
>
> In my hangout window I remember I saw 19 attendees. Otavio, do you
> have any additional stats from google regarding the listeners?

Not that I am aware of.

> Oh, is the video recorded in youtube?

Yes it was[1]

1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQQXdJBnZNA

* Re: Minutes of FSL Community BSP Meeting in 2014-07-03
@ 2014-07-04 16:17       ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2014-07-04 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Cochran; +Cc: meta-freescale

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Bob Cochran <yocto@mindchasers.com> wrote:
> For example, in the future, when I see a mail thread titled
> "fsl-community-bsp: signing up for testing", does this mean that we want to
> test both iMX and QorIQ platforms?   Two different beasts with different
> developers and customers.

I think so; we can have different test and can try to leverage the use
of tools for auto-testing to help on this regard.

I think the line between "different customers" is blurring and more
and more commonly we'll see integrated systems which has several
agents from the different product lines working together to provide a
solution for customers...

* Re: Minutes of FSL Community BSP Meeting in 2014-07-03
@ 2014-07-04 17:21         ` Bob Cochran
From: Bob Cochran @ 2014-07-04 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Otavio Salvador; +Cc: meta-freescale

On 07/04/2014 12:17 PM, Otavio Salvador wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Bob Cochran <yocto@mindchasers.com> wrote:
>> For example, in the future, when I see a mail thread titled
>> "fsl-community-bsp: signing up for testing", does this mean that we want to
>> test both iMX and QorIQ platforms?   Two different beasts with different
>> developers and customers.
>
> I think so; we can have different test and can try to leverage the use
> of tools for auto-testing to help on this regard.

It's a great goal.

I suggest that for now there should be some clarifications made up front
to help the newcomer sort out the differences between qoriq and iMX
support / maturity that they'll find on the community pages.

There appears to be two landing pages for Freescale community bsp work
product:

1) "Freescale Yocto Project main page":
https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-1616

2) "FSL Community BSP": http://freescale.github.io

If I come to either of these pages as a qoriq developer, I'm going to
become confused because the reality of the situation is that if I want a
stable, ready to use set of images or source that will build for qoriq,
I need to go to Freescale's web site and download the latest SDK:
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=SDKLINUX

As an aside, does Freescale formally test each official Yocto release
(e.g., Daisy) against their suite of qoriq development boards?   I think
they just test their SDK.

My intention is to continue iterating with the help of others on the
"Notes about meta-fsl-ppc and QorIQ development..." that I emailed on
7/2.  Perhaps the notes could become a QorIQ status page that both of
the aforementioned landing sites could include?

Bob

@ 2014-07-04 17:35           ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2014-07-04 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Cochran; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

I agree with all your email and have no useful comment, however I want
to focus on one thing:

> There appears to be two landing pages for Freescale community bsp work
> product:
>
> 1) "Freescale Yocto Project main page":
> https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-1616
>
> 2) "FSL Community BSP": http://freescale.github.io

The github.io is the FSL Community BSP landing page. And today there
is no ppc reference because we are working on integration (targeting
1.7). It means that, today, meta-fsl-pcc are not part of FSL Community
BSP

(and I really think that makes complete sense to include it, we only
need to be careful)

However, the DOC-1616 is a document from imx.community. And I would
like to understand why you pointed to this doc.

As you have pointed it, I understand that, being part of
imx.community, or any other sub-community does not make any
difference.

I made most of the imx.community doc refers to yocto, and I´m feeling
that it´s time to review all those docs. Maybe, I need to use this
DOC-1616 as a real landing page to FSL Community BSP for any Freescale
chip.

Daiane

* Re: Minutes of FSL Community BSP Meeting in 2014-07-03
@ 2014-07-04 17:52             ` Bob Cochran
From: Bob Cochran @ 2014-07-04 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiane Angolini; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

On 07/04/2014 01:35 PM, Daiane Angolini wrote:
> I agree with all your email and have no useful comment, however I want
> to focus on one thing:
>

>> There appears to be two landing pages for Freescale community bsp work
>> product:
>>
>> 1) "Freescale Yocto Project main page":
>> https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-1616
>>
>> 2) "FSL Community BSP": http://freescale.github.io
>>

> The github.io is the FSL Community BSP landing page. And today there
> is no ppc reference because we are working on integration (targeting
> 1.7). It means that, today, meta-fsl-pcc are not part of FSL Community
> BSP
>
> (and I really think that makes complete sense to include it, we only
> need to be careful)
>
> However, the DOC-1616 is a document from imx.community. And I would
> like to understand why you pointed to this doc.

I did so because I was confused, and I haven't been carefully reading
the community emails because I'm developing with QorIQ and didn't think
the work applied to me (until recently).

I assume others will share in my confusion because search engines will
lead them to the same page, which is titled "Freescale Yocto Project
main page" and has a banner above it that states Freescale Community.

Thank you for the clarification.

@ 2014-07-04 18:15               ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2014-07-04 18:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bob Cochran; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 2:52 PM, Bob Cochran <yocto@mindchasers.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/2014 01:35 PM, Daiane Angolini wrote:
>>
>> I agree with all your email and have no useful comment, however I want
>> to focus on one thing:
>>

>>> There appears to be two landing pages for Freescale community bsp work
>>> product:
>>>
>>> 1) "Freescale Yocto Project main page":
>>> https://community.freescale.com/docs/DOC-1616
>>>
>>> 2) "FSL Community BSP": http://freescale.github.io
>>>

>> The github.io is the FSL Community BSP landing page. And today there
>> is no ppc reference because we are working on integration (targeting
>> 1.7). It means that, today, meta-fsl-pcc are not part of FSL Community
>> BSP
>>
>> (and I really think that makes complete sense to include it, we only
>> need to be careful)
>>
>> However, the DOC-1616 is a document from imx.community. And I would
>> like to understand why you pointed to this doc.
>

> I did so because I was confused, and I haven't been carefully reading the
> community emails because I'm developing with QorIQ and didn't think the work
> applied to me (until recently).
>
> I assume others will share in my confusion because search engines will lead
> them to the same page, which is titled "Freescale Yocto Project main page"
> and has a banner above it that states Freescale Community.

hummmm!!!
I got it now!

;-) thanks

Daiane

@ 2014-07-07  3:51                 ` zhenhua.luo
From: zhenhua.luo @ 2014-07-07  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daiane Angolini, Bob Cochran; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

The document integration in http://freescale.github.io will be in my proposal of ppc layer roadmap, hopefully I can send out the proposal this week.

Regarding the testing, currently the full build/function/performance testing are done for SDK, and the build test is conducted for community layer.

I want to give some clarification of the toolchain version, the SDK uses FSL toolchian(e.g. SDK 1.6 uses gcc-4.8.1), the ppc layer in upstream uses toochain(master uses gcc-4.9.x) provided by Yocto, so ther might be some fixes of toolchain in uupstram ppc layer, which is not needed by SDK.

Best Regards,

Zhenhua

@ 2014-07-08  0:08                   ` Bob Cochran
From: Bob Cochran @ 2014-07-08  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: zhenhua.luo, Daiane Angolini; +Cc: meta-freescale, Otavio Salvador

On 07/06/2014 11:51 PM, zhenhua.luo@freescale.com wrote:
> The document integration in http://freescale.github.io will be in my proposal of ppc layer roadmap, hopefully I can send out the proposal this week.

Thank you Zhenhua,

In addition to the issues that have already been raised, can you also
please include the following in your road map:

i) Whether there will be an SDK1.7 beta trial for community participation

ii) Will SDK1.6 patches be posted to meta-fsl-ppc (perhaps just to
update the SRCREV, so community members can know the code on the FSL
Public GIT has been updated with SDK1.6 patches)

iii) Will both SDK and community releases be supported going forward or
will SDK (eventually) go away?

I had previously volunteered to provide some high-level documentation
for QorIQ developers on the community site.  I'll wait until after you
post the road map to see if it's something the community wants or needs
in addition to your road map.