* Significance of the fslc vendor field in arm-fslc-linux-gnueabi-gcc
@ 2018-08-28  8:28 Phil Williams
From: Phil Williams @ 2018-08-28  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: meta-freescale

Hello,

What is the significance of the vendor being set to fslc in the
toolchain? Is it simply a label, or does it have some compatibility
differences (compared with -unknown-).

The reason I ask is because I was wondering if there would be any issues
using off the shelf Rust or Go compilers and specifying the target as
arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi.

Thanks,

Phil

* Re: Significance of the fslc vendor field in arm-fslc-linux-gnueabi-gcc
@ 2018-08-29 13:52 ` Daiane Angolini
From: Daiane Angolini @ 2018-08-29 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 9:01 AM Phil Williams <phil_williams@live.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> What is the significance of the vendor being set to fslc in the
> toolchain? Is it simply a label, or does it have some compatibility
> differences (compared with -unknown-).

I don't think there is any significant change. But I would recommend
you make some tests for your use-case.

Daiane

@ 2018-08-31  1:16 ` Otavio Salvador
From: Otavio Salvador @ 2018-08-31  1:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 9:01 AM Phil Williams <phil_williams@live.com> wrote:
> What is the significance of the vendor being set to fslc in the
> toolchain? Is it simply a label, or does it have some compatibility
> differences (compared with -unknown-).
>
> The reason I ask is because I was wondering if there would be any issues
> using off the shelf Rust or Go compilers and specifying the target as
> arm-unknown-linux-gnueabi.

Currently, the fslc distribution does not change anything that might
conflict with those, as far as I know, but you should keep an eye on
the distribution changes to spot any possible conflicting changes in
future.

Usually, the vendor is used globally so you ensure it is compatible
across the whole system. Rust and Go are less fragile in this regard
as it links most libraries (modules and crates) on same binary but
differences on libc or features may cause problems.

Mobile: +55 (53) 9 9981-7854          Mobile: +1 (347) 903-9750