* xencov split script / update
@ 2013-05-23  0:40 Matthew Daley
From: Matthew Daley @ 2013-05-23  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: frediano.ziglio

Hi Frediano,

I'm looking at updating the xencov subsystem so that it supports the
new gcov structures compiled in by the latest GCC (
http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc/trunk/gcc/gcov-io.h?r1=173147&r2=181105
).

To this end, it'd be good to have the splitting script that you wrote
( http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-02/msg00053.html )
included in the Xen repo (ie. tools/misc), so that it can be similarly
updated to output the newer .gcda format GCC tools now expect. I
currently use my own intermediate data format along with a Python
script, but I'd like to use your Perl one if possible.

- Matthew Daley

* Re: xencov split script / update
@ 2013-05-23 13:51 ` Frediano Ziglio
From: Frediano Ziglio @ 2013-05-23 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mattjd; +Cc: Frediano Ziglio, xen-devel

On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 12:40 +1200, Matthew Daley wrote:
> Hi Frediano,
>
> I'm looking at updating the xencov subsystem so that it supports the
> new gcov structures compiled in by the latest GCC (
> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc/trunk/gcc/gcov-io.h?r1=173147&r2=181105
> ).
>
> To this end, it'd be good to have the splitting script that you wrote
> ( http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-02/msg00053.html )
> included in the Xen repo (ie. tools/misc), so that it can be similarly
> updated to output the newer .gcda format GCC tools now expect. I
> currently use my own intermediate data format along with a Python
> script, but I'd like to use your Perl one if possible.
>
> - Matthew Daley

Hi,
  you are quite lucky, I was working on this stuff some days ago, I'll
send the mail.

Frediano

* Re: xencov split script / update
@ 2013-05-24  2:28   ` Matthew Daley
From: Matthew Daley @ 2013-05-24  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frediano Ziglio; +Cc: xen-devel

On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Frediano Ziglio
<frediano.ziglio@citrix.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 12:40 +1200, Matthew Daley wrote:
>> Hi Frediano,
>>
>> I'm looking at updating the xencov subsystem so that it supports the
>> new gcov structures compiled in by the latest GCC (
>> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc/trunk/gcc/gcov-io.h?r1=173147&r2=181105
>> ).
>>
>> To this end, it'd be good to have the splitting script that you wrote
>> ( http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-02/msg00053.html )
>> included in the Xen repo (ie. tools/misc), so that it can be similarly
>> updated to output the newer .gcda format GCC tools now expect. I
>> currently use my own intermediate data format along with a Python
>> script, but I'd like to use your Perl one if possible.
>>
>> - Matthew Daley
>
> Hi,
>   you are quite lucky, I was working on this stuff some days ago, I'll
> send the mail.

Thanks. Just to confirm, does that mean you're working on updating the
structure/gcda version too, or is that still up for grabs? :)

@ 2013-05-28  9:48     ` Frediano Ziglio
From: Frediano Ziglio @ 2013-05-28  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mattjd; +Cc: Frediano Ziglio, xen-devel

On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 14:28 +1200, Matthew Daley wrote:
> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Frediano Ziglio
> <frediano.ziglio@citrix.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-05-23 at 12:40 +1200, Matthew Daley wrote:
> >> Hi Frediano,
> >>
> >> I'm looking at updating the xencov subsystem so that it supports the
> >> new gcov structures compiled in by the latest GCC (
> >> http://gcc.gnu.org/viewcvs/gcc/trunk/gcc/gcov-io.h?r1=173147&r2=181105
> >> ).
> >>
> >> To this end, it'd be good to have the splitting script that you wrote
> >> ( http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2013-02/msg00053.html )
> >> included in the Xen repo (ie. tools/misc), so that it can be similarly
> >> updated to output the newer .gcda format GCC tools now expect. I
> >> currently use my own intermediate data format along with a Python
> >> script, but I'd like to use your Perl one if possible.
> >>
> >> - Matthew Daley
> >
> > Hi,
> >   you are quite lucky, I was working on this stuff some days ago, I'll
> > send the mail.
>
> Thanks. Just to confirm, does that mean you're working on updating the
> structure/gcda version too, or is that still up for grabs? :)

I checked with a gcc 4.6 compiler (-S option and looks at generated
assembly) and the internal structured used by gcc are still the same. It
seems that libgcov.h points to structures used by the tool library and
object internal structures and .gcda structures are not changed.

Frediano

* Re: xencov split script / update
@ 2013-05-28 10:19       ` Frediano Ziglio
From: Frediano Ziglio @ 2013-05-28 10:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frediano Ziglio; +Cc: mattjd, xen-devel

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 10:48 +0100, Frediano Ziglio wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-05-24 at 14:28 +1200, Matthew Daley wrote:
> > On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 1:51 AM, Frediano Ziglio
> > <frediano.ziglio@citrix.com> wrote:

> > > Hi,
> > >   you are quite lucky, I was working on this stuff some days ago, I'll
> > > send the mail.
> >
> > Thanks. Just to confirm, does that mean you're working on updating the
> > structure/gcda version too, or is that still up for grabs? :)
> >

> I checked with a gcc 4.6 compiler (-S option and looks at generated
> assembly) and the internal structured used by gcc are still the same. It
> seems that libgcov.h points to structures used by the tool library and
> object internal structures and .gcda structures are not changed.

Mmm... just tested, they changed binary format in 4.07 version :(

Not that good.

Probably better to add support for new format too.

Frediano

* Re: xencov split script / update
@ 2013-05-30  8:32         ` Ian Campbell
From: Ian Campbell @ 2013-05-30  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frediano Ziglio; +Cc: mattjd, xen-devel

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 10:19 +0000, Frediano Ziglio wrote:

> Mmm... just tested, they changed binary format in 4.07 version :(
>
> Not that good.

Indeed not :-(

> Probably better to add support for new format too.

Was there a patch for this? I haven't seen it if so, can you point me to
a message-id please.

Ian.