* Fwd: First 12Mb of data missing after accidental deletion of first drive (4 2TB raid5)
@ 2015-10-13 13:44 Marek
From: Marek @ 2015-10-13 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-raid

Hi,

I'd like to ask about recovering partitions saved as images on eg a raid.
How do I recover such image - I tried to run test disk and it found
lots of images which I wasn't able to view via P (NFTS) and ext3
partitions but I'd like to save them to another harddrive, I tried
photo tree with only ext3 superblock and image file enabled but it
wouldn't find the partition in was looki for and found via testdisk.
What would you recommend me to do?

Marek

* Re: First 12Mb of data missing after accidental deletion of first drive (4 2TB raid5)
@ 2015-10-13 13:53 ` Alexander Afonyashin
From: Alexander Afonyashin @ 2015-10-13 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek; +Cc: Linux-RAID

Hi Marek,

Do you mean you have files (on raid) that were used as loop devices?

Regards,
Alexander

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Marek <mlf.conv@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to ask about recovering partitions saved as images on eg a raid.
> How do I recover such image - I tried to run test disk and it found
> lots of images which I wasn't able to view via P (NFTS) and ext3
> partitions but I'd like to save them to another harddrive, I tried
> photo tree with only ext3 superblock and image file enabled but it
> wouldn't find the partition in was looki for and found via testdisk.
> What would you recommend me to do?
>
> Marek

* Re: First 12Mb of data missing after accidental deletion of first drive (4 2TB raid5)
@ 2015-10-13 14:04   ` Marek
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Marek @ 2015-10-13 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Afonyashin; +Cc: Linux-RAID

no, i had a working raid consisting of 4 2TB drives (raid5)
sda,sdb,sdc,sdb ( no partitions were created on drives) - then i
accidentally deleted /dev/sda by installing ubuntu. when inspecting
dev/md127 with a hex editor i discovered first 12mb are missing.

@ 2015-10-13 14:08     ` Marek
       [not found]     ` <CAFE24U28NQBoKaTwNfXb5-3jK8PDggfZMUnc7KJLUGbrCFS-Xw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Marek @ 2015-10-13 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Afonyashin; +Cc: Linux-RAID

sorry i pasted the wrong email:
Hi,

I have a problem with my 4 2TB disk Raid5 (most likely btrfs) after I
accidentally deleted first drive by installing Ubuntu on it (/dev/sda
automatic choice) then I discovered the raid isn't working and by
closer inspecting it hexdump I discovered first ~12Mb of data are
missing. Is it possible to recover it somehow? What I did was to zero
superblock then add the first drive - everything seems fine according
to /proc/mdstat.

@ 2015-10-13 14:40     ` Alexander Afonyashin
       [not found]     ` <CAFE24U28NQBoKaTwNfXb5-3jK8PDggfZMUnc7KJLUGbrCFS-Xw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Alexander Afonyashin @ 2015-10-13 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek; +Cc: Linux-RAID

Hi,

Does /proc/mdstat show that raid is ok? If so, why did you make an
assumption that data of first 12MB are gone? Zeroed? Missed files on
filesystem?

Regards,
Alexander

@ 2015-10-13 14:50       ` Marek
From: Marek @ 2015-10-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Afonyashin; +Cc: Linux-RAID

yes first 12Mb seem to be zeroed

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:40 PM, Alexander Afonyashin

@ 2015-10-13 15:04       ` Marek
From: Marek @ 2015-10-13 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Weedy; +Cc: Linux RAID, Alexander Afonyashin

Could it be that the raid wasnt synced at the time i overwrote
/dev/sda ? i have run the command you suggested and will report after
its done. would it still be possible to recover the raid?

@ 2015-10-13 18:09         ` Benjamin ESTRABAUD
From: Benjamin ESTRABAUD @ 2015-10-13 18:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek, Weedy; +Cc: Linux RAID, Alexander Afonyashin

Hi Marek,

On 13/10/15 16:04, Marek wrote:
> Could it be that the raid wasnt synced at the time i overwrote
> /dev/sda ? i have run the command you suggested and will report after
> its done. would it still be possible to recover the raid?

So what likely happened is that you wrote ontop of a RAID member drive
while the RAID was likely not assembled (during your install).

If you do a resync it won't unfortunately *recover* the previously
written data, it will go over each stripe and recalculate the parity. It
is true that it *might* have been possible to do the opposite operation
by not touching anything and figuring out the previous data with the
data and parity blocks from the remaining RAID members (assuming they
weren't overwritten), but it would have been a tricky operation.
However, since you've done the resync now, the previous parity blocks
have been overwritten leaving you with a consistent RAID, but with part
of the data on a disk that you want to revert.

At this stage you should recover the old data from a backup.

@ 2015-10-14  0:42           ` Adam Goryachev
From: Adam Goryachev @ 2015-10-14  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Benjamin ESTRABAUD, Marek, Weedy; +Cc: Linux RAID, Alexander Afonyashin

On 14/10/15 05:09, Benjamin ESTRABAUD wrote:
> Hi Marek,
>
> On 13/10/15 16:04, Marek wrote:
>> Could it be that the raid wasnt synced at the time i overwrote
>> /dev/sda ? i have run the command you suggested and will report after
>> its done. would it still be possible to recover the raid?
>>
> So what likely happened is that you wrote ontop of a RAID member drive
> while the RAID was likely not assembled (during your install).
>
> If you do a resync it won't unfortunately *recover* the previously
> written data, it will go over each stripe and recalculate the parity.
> It is true that it *might* have been possible to do the opposite
> operation by not touching anything and figuring out the previous data
> with the data and parity blocks from the remaining RAID members
> (assuming they weren't overwritten), but it would have been a tricky
> operation. However, since you've done the resync now, the previous
> parity blocks have been overwritten leaving you with a consistent
> RAID, but with part of the data on a disk that you want to revert.

Or better action would be to stop the array, start the array excluding
sda (not sure best way to manually mark it failed, or maybe physically
remove it, or zero superblock should work too). Then you should have
clean degraded array with all data. Now you could add sda back, and it
will re-write correct data. (Assuming no writes were done to sdb/sdc/sdd).

Depending on what you actually did, and what order, it might still work....

Regards,
Adam

> At this stage you should recover the old data from a backup.

>>> Wait, if it's a raid5 can't you just resync it?
>>>
>>> Also I believe 1.2 metadata is at the end of a partition. If your
>>> saying the
>>> raids hasn't noticed you can run a check and it should fix itself.
>>>
>>> echo check > /sys/block/mdX/md/sync_action
>> --

Adam Goryachev Website Managers www.websitemanagers.com.au

* Re: First 12Mb of data missing after accidental deletion of first drive (4 2TB raid5)
@ 2015-10-14 10:48             ` Benjamin ESTRABAUD
From: Benjamin ESTRABAUD @ 2015-10-14 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Adam Goryachev, Marek, Weedy; +Cc: Linux RAID, Alexander Afonyashin

On 14/10/15 01:42, Adam Goryachev wrote:
> On 14/10/15 05:09, Benjamin ESTRABAUD wrote:
>> Hi Marek,
>>
>> On 13/10/15 16:04, Marek wrote:
>>> Could it be that the raid wasnt synced at the time i overwrote
>>> /dev/sda ? i have run the command you suggested and will report after
>>> its done. would it still be possible to recover the raid?
>>>
>> So what likely happened is that you wrote ontop of a RAID member drive
>> while the RAID was likely not assembled (during your install).
>>
>> If you do a resync it won't unfortunately *recover* the previously
>> written data, it will go over each stripe and recalculate the parity.
>> It is true that it *might* have been possible to do the opposite
>> operation by not touching anything and figuring out the previous data
>> with the data and parity blocks from the remaining RAID members
>> (assuming they weren't overwritten), but it would have been a tricky
>> operation. However, since you've done the resync now, the previous
>> parity blocks have been overwritten leaving you with a consistent
>> RAID, but with part of the data on a disk that you want to revert.
>>
> Or better action would be to stop the array, start the array excluding
> sda (not sure best way to manually mark it failed, or maybe physically
> remove it, or zero superblock should work too). Then you should have
> clean degraded array with all data. Now you could add sda back, and it
> will re-write correct data. (Assuming no writes were done to sdb/sdc/sdd).

I agree with Adam, in this particular case the data would be recovered
on "sda". Doing a plain and simple resync with the array not degraded
would do another operation which is precisely what you don't want, i.e.
make sure that the parity are recalculated from the current data.

> Depending on what you actually did, and what order, it might still work....

If the resync didn't run while sda was in the array it should, otherwise
the data recalculated on sda will be identical to the current data.