* Cephalocon Cancelled
@ 2017-05-12 19:45 Patrick McGarry
       [not found] ` <CAAZbbf0hLO4n5UzY=3CNAeSc4G=C3ZWBPK1ssD3L6KzFuZUcEQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Patrick McGarry @ 2017-05-12 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph Devel, Ceph-User, Ceph board

Hey cephers,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on a Friday, but the decision was
made this week to cancel the Ceph conference that was planned for
later this year in Boston on 23-25 August.

For more details please visit the Cephalocon page:

http://ceph.com/cephalocon2017/

If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
Thanks for all who had already contributed to the CFP and call for
sponsors, we greatly appreciate your efforts and hope that we can
revisit these plans in the future. Have a great weekend.

--

Best Regards,

Patrick McGarry
Director Ceph Community || Red Hat
http://ceph.com  ||  http://community.redhat.com
@scuttlemonkey || @ceph

* Re: Cephalocon Cancelled
       [not found] ` <CAAZbbf0hLO4n5UzY=3CNAeSc4G=C3ZWBPK1ssD3L6KzFuZUcEQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-05-12 20:45   ` Wido den Hollander
From: Wido den Hollander @ 2017-05-12 20:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ceph-User, Ceph board, Ceph Devel, Patrick McGarry

> Op 12 mei 2017 om 21:45 schreef Patrick McGarry <pmcgarry-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org>:
>

> Hey cephers,
>
> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on a Friday, but the decision was
> made this week to cancel the Ceph conference that was planned for
> later this year in Boston on 23-25 August.
>
> For more details please visit the Cephalocon page:
>
> http://ceph.com/cephalocon2017/
>
> If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
> Thanks for all who had already contributed to the CFP and call for
> sponsors, we greatly appreciate your efforts and hope that we can
> revisit these plans in the future. Have a great weekend.

Sad to here, especially the reasoning behind it. But understandable!

Let's move this event to Europe :-)

Wido

> --
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Patrick McGarry
> Director Ceph Community || Red Hat
> http://ceph.com  ||  http://community.redhat.com
> @scuttlemonkey || @ceph

* Re: [ceph-users] Cephalocon Cancelled
@ 2017-05-13  8:06     ` John Spray
From: John Spray @ 2017-05-13  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wido den Hollander; +Cc: Ceph Devel

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@42on.com> wrote:

>> Op 12 mei 2017 om 21:45 schreef Patrick McGarry <pmcgarry@redhat.com>:
>>

>> Hey cephers,
>>
>> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on a Friday, but the decision was
>> made this week to cancel the Ceph conference that was planned for
>> later this year in Boston on 23-25 August.
>>
>> For more details please visit the Cephalocon page:
>>
>> http://ceph.com/cephalocon2017/
>>
>> If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
>> Thanks for all who had already contributed to the CFP and call for
>> sponsors, we greatly appreciate your efforts and hope that we can
>> revisit these plans in the future. Have a great weekend.
>>

> Sad to here, especially the reasoning behind it. But understandable!
>
> Let's move this event to Europe :-)

My dining table seats six comfortably, eight at a stretch, and there's
a Marriot 10 minutes walk away ;-)

John

@ 2017-05-13 19:28       ` Joao Eduardo Luis
       [not found]         ` <793626ca-5900-8645-4d09-e019d8daad25-l3A5Bk7waGM@public.gmane.org>
From: Joao Eduardo Luis @ 2017-05-13 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Spray, Wido den Hollander; +Cc: Ceph Devel

On 05/13/2017 09:06 AM, John Spray wrote:
> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido@42on.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Op 12 mei 2017 om 21:45 schreef Patrick McGarry <pmcgarry@redhat.com>:
>>>

>>> Hey cephers,
>>>
>>> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news on a Friday, but the decision was
>>> made this week to cancel the Ceph conference that was planned for
>>> later this year in Boston on 23-25 August.
>>>
>>> For more details please visit the Cephalocon page:
>>>
>>> http://ceph.com/cephalocon2017/
>>>
>>> If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
>>> Thanks for all who had already contributed to the CFP and call for
>>> sponsors, we greatly appreciate your efforts and hope that we can
>>> revisit these plans in the future. Have a great weekend.
>>>

>> Sad to here, especially the reasoning behind it. But understandable!
>>
>> Let's move this event to Europe :-)
>
> My dining table seats six comfortably, eight at a stretch, and there's
> a Marriot 10 minutes walk away ;-)

/me fires up skyscanner

In all seriousness though, I am saddened to see this event being
cancelled, regardless of my own struggle deciding whether to attend or not.

Here's to hope we'll see a cephalocon sometime in the future.

   -Joao

* Re: Cephalocon Cancelled
       [not found]         ` <793626ca-5900-8645-4d09-e019d8daad25-l3A5Bk7waGM@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-05-15 13:21           ` Danny Al-Gaaf
From: Danny Al-Gaaf @ 2017-05-15 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ, board-Qp0mS5GaXlQ, ceph-devel

Am 13.05.2017 um 21:28 schrieb Joao Eduardo Luis:
> On 05/13/2017 09:06 AM, John Spray wrote:
>> On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 9:45 PM, Wido den Hollander <wido-fspyXLx8qC4@public.gmane.org>
[...]
>>> Sad to here, especially the reasoning behind it. But understandable!
>>>
>>> Let's move this event to Europe :-)
>>
>> My dining table seats six comfortably, eight at a stretch, and there's
>> a Marriot 10 minutes walk away ;-)
>
> /me fires up skyscanner
>

> In all seriousness though, I am saddened to see this event being
> cancelled, regardless of my own struggle deciding whether to attend or not.
>
> Here's to hope we'll see a cephalocon sometime in the future.

Agree on that.

What about moving the event to the next OpenStack Summit in Sydney, let
say directly following the Summit. Not sure how many people already plan
to go to Sydney from the Ceph Community, but this way the 10-20 h flight
(depending on your location) would probably make much more sense, than
for 3 days only.

Danny

* Re: [ceph-users] Cephalocon Cancelled
@ 2017-05-16  5:29             ` Blair Bethwaite
From: Blair Bethwaite @ 2017-05-16  5:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Al-Gaaf; +Cc: ceph-users, board, ceph-devel

On 15 May 2017 at 23:21, Danny Al-Gaaf <danny.al-gaaf@bisect.de> wrote:
> What about moving the event to the next OpenStack Summit in Sydney, let
> say directly following the Summit.

+1!

The Ceph day just gone at the Boston OpenStack Summit felt a lot like
I imagined Cephalocon would be anyway, and as far as I know the
OpenStack opensource days thing is likely to continue.

--
Cheers,
~Blairo

* Re: [ceph-users] Cephalocon Cancelled
@ 2017-05-16 13:08             ` Lars Marowsky-Bree
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree @ 2017-05-16 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users, board, ceph-devel

On 2017-05-15T15:21:47, Danny Al-Gaaf <danny.al-gaaf@bisect.de> wrote:

> What about moving the event to the next OpenStack Summit in Sydney, let
> say directly following the Summit. Not sure how many people already plan
> to go to Sydney from the Ceph Community, but this way the 10-20 h flight
> (depending on your location) would probably make much more sense, than
> for 3 days only.

I'd not be opposed to this, but I know that the travel budget to
Australia would severely impact the number of people a number of
organizations would be able to send. Alas.

Regards,
    Lars