* How to get status-like short format for old commits?
@ 2012-03-26 11:24 Piotr Krukowiecki
From: Piotr Krukowiecki @ 2012-03-26 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I there a way to get a clear status of some past commits, like 'git
status' shows for current index/HEAD? I.e. something like

git status HEAD^
#	modified:   Makefile
#	deleted:    t/t0080-vcs-svn.sh
#	new file:   t/t9011-svn-da.sh
#	renamed:   xxx -> yyy

Piotr Krukowiecki

* Re: How to get status-like short format for old commits?
@ 2012-03-26 12:07 ` Kevin
From: Kevin @ 2012-03-26 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

You might want git log --name-status. It will show something similar as
git status -s. (so with A,M,D etc. as status).

@ 2012-03-26 18:53   ` Piotr Krukowiecki
From: Piotr Krukowiecki @ 2012-03-26 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

not so nice as status, but still ok.

Piotrek

@ 2012-03-26 20:14     ` Jeff King
From: Jeff King @ 2012-03-26 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 08:53:45PM +0200, Piotr Krukowiecki wrote:

> [log --name-status]
> not so nice as status, but still ok.

Yeah, the code to print the verbose "modified: foo.c" style is specific
to status. We could refactor it to be a new generic diff output type,
which would not be that hard. In practice, though, I think people choose
either "--stat --summary" if they want to show to a person (it's a
superset of what status shows, because it also contains the number of
lines changed for each file), or "--raw" if they need something
machine-readable.

Does one of those work for you? If not, it might be a fun and relatively
simple exercise to create a --verbose-name-status that looks like the
output of "git status" (you could also do it by post-processing
--name-status output, but that is less fun and more hacky :) ).

-Peff