* How to detect serial buffer overruns
@ 2012-04-26 21:28 Corbin
From: Corbin @ 2012-04-26 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-serial

Hello,

Most of the documentation that I find to detect buffer overruns says
to use the TIOCGICOUNT ioctl along with serial_icounter_struct. It
appears, however,  that the buf_overrun field in this struct is not
updated in the 8250 driver. I confirmed this by writing a lot of data
to my computer's built-in serial port at 115200 baud and then doing a
read, which resulted in only receiving 69376 bytes back. It appears
the tty flip buffers begin to overflow at 69376 bytes, but again, the
buf_overrun field in the serial_icounter_struct shows no change after
calling the TIOCGICOUNT ioctl. I am able to get other information from
the ioctl just fine, such as parity, break, and framing errors. I went
through several of the drivers in /drivers/tty/serial and
drivers/usb/serial and it looks like my problem stems from that fact
that there aren't really any serial drivers that make use of
buf_overrun, including the 8250 driver which my port is using.

So, my question is, what is the recommended way to detect buffer overruns?

Thanks,
Corbin Atkinson

only message in thread, other threads:[~2012-04-26 21:28 UTC | newest]