* My kernel patch was rejected with comments
@ 2017-03-22  6:54 Prasant J
From: Prasant J @ 2017-03-22  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

I submitted a kernel patch and it was rejected with comments from
maintainer. Is it important to reply with a new patch against
maintainers response mail? Or it it ok if I send a new email with the
updated patch?

I have mutt and git send-mail setup but I can only send mail with
those. How do I reply to a maintainers comment?

I manually copied Message-ID from gmail web GUI and tried using it in
"--in-reply-to" with git send email but when I saw the linux mailing
list, it did weird things. It sent a blank reply to maintainers email
and sent a new mail with my updated patch.

Is there any tutorial on how can a I setup my workflow?

Any inputs will be of great help here!

Regards, Pj

* My kernel patch was rejected with comments
@ 2017-03-22 10:32 ` Tobin C. Harding
From: Tobin C. Harding @ 2017-03-22 10:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 12:24:47PM +0530, Prasant J wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I submitted a kernel patch and it was rejected with comments from
> maintainer. Is it important to reply with a new patch against
> maintainers response mail? Or it it ok if I send a new email with the
> updated patch?

You don't send the new patch as a reply. You may, if you wish, reply
to the maintainer (or reviewer) with some comments that you understand
and intend on implementing their suggestions (and thanks) or
disagreeing as it may be.

You then re-work your patch and submit it as normal using git
send-email. But you put v2 in the subject.  You can use

git format-patch -X --subject-prefix='PATCH v2' --numbered --cover-letter

(where X is the number of commits to add to the series, assuming it is
a series).

In the cover letter add a section stating the changes since v1, for
example

v1 -> v2
 - use foo() instead of bar()

If it is a single patch, you may wish to just edit the subject
manually. Make sure you put the version change information below the
--- line so it is not included if/when the patch gets merged.

Good luck,
Tobin.

@ 2017-03-22 11:39   ` Prasant J
From: Prasant J @ 2017-03-22 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Tobin C. Harding <me@tobin.cc> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 12:24:47PM +0530, Prasant J wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I submitted a kernel patch and it was rejected with comments from
>> maintainer. Is it important to reply with a new patch against
>> maintainers response mail? Or it it ok if I send a new email with the
>> updated patch?
>
> You don't send the new patch as a reply. You may, if you wish, reply
> to the maintainer (or reviewer) with some comments that you understand
> and intend on implementing their suggestions (and thanks) or
> disagreeing as it may be.

@Tobin: Thanks a lot for your response. It is very helpful.

How do I reply to the maintainer or how do people reply to
maintainers? gmail web gui may not be a good idea.. right?
or Should I set up evolution or thunderbird for this?
(as mentioned here:
https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/drm/process/email-clients.html)

> You then re-work your patch and submit it as normal using git
> send-email. But you put v2 in the subject.  You can use
>
> git format-patch -X --subject-prefix='PATCH v2' --numbered --cover-letter
>
> (where X is the number of commits to add to the series, assuming it is
> a series).
>
> In the cover letter add a section stating the changes since v1, for
> example
>
> v1 -> v2
>  - use foo() instead of bar()
>
> If it is a single patch, you may wish to just edit the subject
> manually. Make sure you put the version change information below the
> --- line so it is not included if/when the patch gets merged.

Could you please explain the last para? I did not understand "below
the --- line"

Thanks & regards, Pj

* My kernel patch was rejected with comments
@ 2017-03-22 12:20     ` Pranay Srivastava
From: Pranay Srivastava @ 2017-03-22 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Prasant J <pj0585@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Tobin C. Harding <me@tobin.cc> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 12:24:47PM +0530, Prasant J wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I submitted a kernel patch and it was rejected with comments from
>>> maintainer. Is it important to reply with a new patch against
>>> maintainers response mail? Or it it ok if I send a new email with the
>>> updated patch?
>>
>> You don't send the new patch as a reply. You may, if you wish, reply
>> to the maintainer (or reviewer) with some comments that you understand
>> and intend on implementing their suggestions (and thanks) or
>> disagreeing as it may be.
>>

> @Tobin: Thanks a lot for your response. It is very helpful.
>
> How do I reply to the maintainer or how do people reply to
> maintainers? gmail web gui may not be a good idea.. right?

Make sure you select plain text mode from gmail web-gui while replying.

> or Should I set up evolution or thunderbird for this?
> (as mentioned here:
> https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/drm/process/email-clients.html)

Not really required but yeah nice to have this.

>> You then re-work your patch and submit it as normal using git
>> send-email. But you put v2 in the subject.  You can use
>>
>> git format-patch -X --subject-prefix='PATCH v2' --numbered --cover-letter
>>
>> (where X is the number of commits to add to the series, assuming it is
>> a series).
>>
>> In the cover letter add a section stating the changes since v1, for
>> example
>>
>> v1 -> v2
>>  - use foo() instead of bar()
>>
>> If it is a single patch, you may wish to just edit the subject
>> manually. Make sure you put the version change information below the
>> --- line so it is not included if/when the patch gets merged.
>>

> Could you please explain the last para? I did not understand "below
> the --- line"
>

> Thanks & regards, Pj

        ---P.K.S

* My kernel patch was rejected with comments
@ 2017-03-22 12:50       ` Ozgur Karatas
From: Ozgur Karatas @ 2017-03-22 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

22.03.2017, 15:22, "Pranay Srivastava" <pranjas@gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 5:09 PM, Prasant J <pj0585@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ?On Wed, Mar 22, 2017 at 4:02 PM, Tobin C. Harding <me@tobin.cc> wrote:

Hello,

firstly, you should attention here, please add rows to the answer lines, all developers like to read and habit.

example, you say Hi and I add new line and I say hi :)

>>> ?You don't send the new patch as a reply. You may, if you wish, reply
>>> ?to the maintainer (or reviewer) with some comments that you understand
>>> ?and intend on implementing their suggestions (and thanks) or
>>> ?disagreeing as it may be.

Please don't send it again, find out why you are being objected and prove your right to be right.
we are striving for Linux development here and long as you work for Linux,
you can discuss it with thousands of emails, not problem.

P.S.: everyone will read those who don't have time will not answer, I don't know.

>> ?@Tobin: Thanks a lot for your response. It is very helpful.
>>
>> ?How do I reply to the maintainer or how do people reply to
>> ?maintainers? gmail web gui may not be a good idea.. right?
>
> Make sure you select plain text mode from gmail web-gui while replying.

Please send only text, very simple e-mail. don't include ads, signatures, jpeg or even attachment.
it should be reply e-mail just text only :)

>> ?or Should I set up evolution or thunderbird for this?
>> ?(as mentioned here:
>> ?https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/drm/process/email-clients.html)
>
> Not really required but yeah nice to have this.
>
>>> ?You then re-work your patch and submit it as normal using git
>>> ?send-email. But you put v2 in the subject. You can use
>>>
>>> ?git format-patch -X --subject-prefix='PATCH v2' --numbered --cover-letter
>>>
>>> ?(where X is the number of commits to add to the series, assuming it is
>>> ?a series).
>>>
>>> ?In the cover letter add a section stating the changes since v1, for
>>> ?example
>>>
>>> ?v1 -> v2
>>> ??- use foo() instead of bar()
>>>
>>> ?If it is a single patch, you may wish to just edit the subject
>>> ?manually. Make sure you put the version change information below the
>>> ?--- line so it is not included if/when the patch gets merged.
>>
>> ?Could you please explain the last para? I did not understand "below
>> ?the --- line"
>>
>> ?Thanks & regards, Pj

Regards,

Ozgur