* understanding of sysfs.
@ 2017-05-23  6:28 Madhu K
From: Madhu K @ 2017-05-23  6:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

why there is no character device entry present in /sys/class? where as
block and net device entries are present.

Not only in /sys/class, for that matter why there is no character device
entries present in /sys file system.

please help me to understand for what purpose char devices are kept away
from /sys file system.

Thanks
Madhu
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* understanding of sysfs.
@ 2017-05-23  6:34 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-05-23  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:58:31AM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> why there is no character device entry present in /sys/class? where as block
> and net device entries are present.

I see character devices there, but not the device nodes.  I don't see
block device nodes there either.

> Not only in /sys/class, for that matter why there is no character device
> entries present in /sys file system.

What do you exactly mean by "character device entries"?

> please help me to understand for what purpose char devices are kept away from /
> sys file system.

Have you read the driver model chapter in the Linux Device drivers book,
or the in-kernel sysfs documentation?

thanks,

greg k-h

* understanding of sysfs.
@ 2017-05-23  7:28   ` Madhu K
From: Madhu K @ 2017-05-23  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your response.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:58:31AM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > why there is no character device entry present in /sys/class? where as
> block
> > and net device entries are present.
>
> I see character devices there, but not the device nodes.  I don't see
> block device nodes there either.

If I am wrong please correct me, there is a folder called block in
/sys/class. is block not containing block device nodes?

> > Not only in /sys/class, for that matter why there is no character device
> > entries present in /sys file system.
>
> What do you exactly mean by "character device entries"?

like block and net why there is no char folder

@ 2017-05-23  9:23     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-05-23  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:58:07PM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> Thanks for your response.
>

> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:58:31AM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
>     > Hi All,
>     >
>     > why there is no character device entry present in /sys/class? where as
>     block
>     > and net device entries are present.
>
>     I see character devices there, but not the device nodes.? I don't see
>     block device nodes there either.
>

> If I am wrong please correct me, there is a folder called block in /sys/class.
> is block not containing block device nodes??

Nope, look closer :)

>     > Not only in /sys/class, for that matter why there is no character device
>     > entries present in /sys file system.
>
>     What do you exactly mean by "character device entries"?
>

> like block and net why there is no char folder??

Again, look closer please.

>     > please help me to understand for what purpose char devices are kept away
>     from /
>     > sys file system.
>
>     Have you read the driver model chapter in the Linux Device drivers book,
>     or the in-kernel sysfs documentation?

Again, please read all of the copious documentation that we have written
already about this topic.  If after that, you still have questions, I
will be more than glad to help answer them.

thanks,

greg k-h

* understanding of sysfs.
@ 2017-05-29  5:28       ` Madhu K
From: Madhu K @ 2017-05-29  5:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:58:07PM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> >
> > Thanks for your response.
> >

> > On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> >
> >     On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:58:31AM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
> >     > Hi All,
> >     >
> >     > why there is no character device entry present in /sys/class?
> where as
> >     block
> >     > and net device entries are present.
> >
> >     I see character devices there, but not the device nodes.  I don't see
> >     block device nodes there either.
> >

> > If I am wrong please correct me, there is a folder called block in
> /sys/class.
> > is block not containing block device nodes?
>
> Nope, look closer :)

I checked the block folder, the entries which are present in
/sys/class/block are softlink to /sys/devices nodes. what i understand from
this is, all block net and char node entries are present in /sys/devices.
Am i correct?

@ 2017-05-29  5:43         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-05-29  5:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 10:58:09AM +0530, Madhu K wrote:

> On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:53 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>
>     On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:58:07PM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
>     > Hi Greg,
>     >
>     > Thanks for your response.
>     >
>     >
>     > On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
>     >
>     >? ? ?On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 11:58:31AM +0530, Madhu K wrote:
>     >? ? ?> Hi All,
>     >? ? ?>
>     >? ? ?> why there is no character device entry present in /sys/class? where
>     as
>     >? ? ?block
>     >? ? ?> and net device entries are present.
>     >
>     >? ? ?I see character devices there, but not the device nodes.? I don't see
>     >? ? ?block device nodes there either.
>     >
>     >
>     > If I am wrong please correct me, there is a folder called block in /sys/
>     class.
>     > is block not containing block device nodes??
>
>     Nope, look closer :)
>

> I checked the block folder, the entries which are present in /sys/class/block
> are softlink to /sys/devices nodes.

What do you exactly mean by "nodes"?  /sys/class/block/ points to the
block device "class devices" in the kernel device hierarchy, just like
the other /sys/class/* entries point to other class devices.

> what i understand from this is, all block net and char node entries
> are present in /sys/devices. Am i correct?

Again, what do you mean by a "node"?  Did you read the documentation
about sysfs and the driver model?

thanks,

greg k-h