* RE: iptables and virtual NIC
@ 2011-07-28 10:05 Kumar Swamy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kumar Swamy @ 2011-07-28 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hello folks,

I am a newbie to iptables and experimenting some stuff.  So please excuse me, if this has already been discussed.

I have a linux gateway which has a physical interface (eth0 ) and multiple virtual interfaces ( eth0:1, eth0:2), each has dynamic IP configured.
I want to create an iptables rule for  IP masquerading on eth0 , but packets going out on other interfaces should be left untouched. Is this possible?

I tried
-A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
But it seems packet going out on virtual NICs ( aliases) are also hitting this rule.
Is there any way to solve this problem without using SNAT? Since I have IP address configured dynamically, there is no easy way to do SNAT.

Thanks

'Like' us on Facebook for exclusive content and other resources on all Barracuda Networks solutions.
Visit http://barracudanetworks.com/facebook

* RE: iptables and virtual NIC
@ 2011-07-28 11:53 ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2011-07-28 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar Swamy; +Cc: netfilter

On Thursday 2011-07-28 12:05, Kumar Swamy wrote:

>Hello folks,
>
>I am a newbie to iptables and experimenting some stuff.  So please excuse me, if this has already been discussed.
>
>I have a linux gateway which has a physical interface (eth0 ) and multiple virtual interfaces ( eth0:1, eth0:2), each has dynamic IP configured.
>I want to create an iptables rule for  IP masquerading on eth0 , but
>packets going out on other interfaces should be left untouched. Is this
>possible?

Those are no interfaces. You are being deceived. My hint -
stop using ifconfig.

* Re: iptables and virtual NIC
@ 2011-07-28 12:00 ` Pandu Poluan
From: Pandu Poluan @ 2011-07-28 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar Swamy; +Cc: netfilter

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 17:05, Kumar Swamy <kswamy@barracuda.com> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I am a newbie to iptables and experimenting some stuff.  So please excuse me, if this has already been discussed.
>
> I have a linux gateway which has a physical interface (eth0 ) and multiple virtual interfaces ( eth0:1, eth0:2), each has dynamic IP configured.
> I want to create an iptables rule for  IP masquerading on eth0 , but packets going out on other interfaces should be left untouched. Is this possible?
>
> I tried
> -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> But it seems packet going out on virtual NICs ( aliases) are also hitting this rule.
> Is there any way to solve this problem without using SNAT? Since I have IP address configured dynamically, there is no easy way to do SNAT.

How does the routing work? I.e., when does a packet exits through eth0
or eth0:1 or eth0:2?

Use the same routing criteria on the iptables rule.

Rgds,

--
Pandu E Poluan
~ IT Optimizer ~

 • Blog : http://pepoluan.tumblr.com
 • Linked-In : http://id.linkedin.com/in/pepoluan

* Re: iptables and virtual NIC
@ 2011-07-28 15:04 ` Michal Soltys
From: Michal Soltys @ 2011-07-28 15:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kumar Swamy; +Cc: netfilter

On 11-07-28 12:05, Kumar Swamy wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> I am a newbie to iptables and experimenting some stuff.  So please excuse me, if this has already been discussed.
>
> I have a linux gateway which has a physical interface (eth0 ) and multiple virtual interfaces ( eth0:1, eth0:2), each has dynamic IP configured.
> I want to create an iptables rule for  IP masquerading on eth0 , but packets going out on other interfaces should be left untouched. Is this possible?
>
> I tried
> -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
> But it seems packet going out on virtual NICs ( aliases) are also hitting this rule.
> Is there any way to solve this problem without using SNAT? Since I have IP address configured dynamically, there is no easy way to do SNAT.
>
> Thanks

In addition to what Jan said about eth:N

MASQUERADE target picks only a primary addresses with global scope. Make
sure during address assignment (you can adjust what dhclient or dhcpcd
does with shell scripting) that only one of the addresses have global
scope (and it's the primary address).

* Re: iptables and virtual NIC
@ 2011-07-28 15:21   ` Jan Engelhardt
From: Jan Engelhardt @ 2011-07-28 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandu Poluan; +Cc: Kumar Swamy, netfilter

On Thursday 2011-07-28 14:00, Pandu Poluan wrote:

>On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 17:05, Kumar Swamy <kswamy@barracuda.com> wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> I am a newbie to iptables and experimenting some stuff.  So please excuse me, if this has already been discussed.
>>
>> I have a linux gateway which has a physical interface (eth0 ) and multiple virtual interfaces ( eth0:1, eth0:2), each has dynamic IP configured.
>> I want to create an iptables rule for  IP masquerading on eth0 , but packets going out on other interfaces should be left untouched. Is this possible?
>>
>> I tried
>> -A POSTROUTING -o eth0 -j MASQUERADE
>> But it seems packet going out on virtual NICs ( aliases) are also hitting this rule.
>> Is there any way to solve this problem without using SNAT? Since I have IP address configured dynamically, there is no easy way to do SNAT.
>>

>How does the routing work? I.e., when does a packet exits through eth0
>or eth0:1 or eth0:2?

Routing only accepts eth0 because, again, eth0:1 as shown by braindead
programs is not an interface.

* Re: iptables and virtual NIC
@ 2011-07-28 15:28   ` Tyler J. Wagner
From: Tyler J. Wagner @ 2011-07-28 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pandu Poluan; +Cc: Kumar Swamy, netfilter

On 2011-07-28 14:00, Pandu Poluan wrote:
> How does the routing work? I.e., when does a packet exits through eth0
> or eth0:1 or eth0:2?

Pandu,

eth0 and eth0:1 are the same interface. The :1 suffix is just an alias
associated with a secondary IP address. There is no difference internally.

If you want to behave differently based on different aliases, you must
define rules by IP.

Regards,
Tyler

accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem,
pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently,
die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
   -- Lazarus Long, "Time Enough for Love", by Robert A. Heinlein