* Re: Patch for lttng tools to build on Mac OSX 10.11.6
       [not found] <A82E93B1-509F-424C-B36F-7011D685BDC9@gmail.com>
@ 2017-05-23 13:34 ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found] ` <CA+jJMxvpuZHDpOF2QvePMihbLRPFme_XpaLmWgzVOmx7QnWhYQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2017-05-23 13:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dávid Beck; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi David,

I'm just wondering what is your use-case for building the lttng client
if the session daemon is not built?
We typically also disable building the client (--disable-bin-lttng)
when building the lttng-relayd for macOS.

Thanks,
Jérémie

On 21 May 2017 at 11:30, Dávid Beck <david.beck.priv@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Lttng Devs,
>
> Please find a patch attached for building lttng tools with these configure
> flags (on Max OSX):
>
> ./configure --without-lttng-ust --disable-man-pages
> --disable-bin-lttng-consumerd --disable-bin-lttng-sessiond
> --disable-bin-lttng-crash --disable-kmod --disable-extras
>

> Best, David

Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

@ 2017-05-23 13:50   ` Dávid Beck
       [not found]   ` <CAA85PfLgiW329AhYcSbup+8jBz=25-pEM7LUC962ucUc3M6Gkw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Dávid Beck @ 2017-05-23 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Galarneau; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi Jérémie,

I guess this is my lack of lttng understanding.

I wanted to play around with relayd on Mac by having a Linux box generating
the traces and give it a remote relayd for storing the traces locally on my
Mac.

I was thinking that I don't need a local sessiond on the Mac for this, do I?

To answer your question I want to play around with Rust and Lttng on Mac
because I have a few ideas of how to generate a few statistical performance
metrics from the traces. Since this is a midnight project I have the luxury
to do it in a language that I like as opposed to Java (the viewer) or
C/Python (Babeltrace). So eventually I want to build an event collector in
Rust, and to test the data flow I thought it is good to have the relayd on
Mac.

Thank you, David

2017. máj. 23. du. 2:34 ezt írta ("Jérémie Galarneau" <
jeremie.galarneau@efficios.com>):

Hi David,

I'm just wondering what is your use-case for building the lttng client
if the session daemon is not built?
We typically also disable building the client (--disable-bin-lttng)
when building the lttng-relayd for macOS.

Thanks,
Jérémie

On 21 May 2017 at 11:30, Dávid Beck <david.beck.priv@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Lttng Devs,
>
> Please find a patch attached for building lttng tools with these configure
> flags (on Max OSX):
>
> ./configure --without-lttng-ust --disable-man-pages
> --disable-bin-lttng-consumerd --disable-bin-lttng-sessiond
> --disable-bin-lttng-crash --disable-kmod --disable-extras
>

> Best, David

Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

@ 2017-05-24 14:52     ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found]     ` <CA+jJMxs-d6vZ4Q3t6UvDeqOqwYyyoVHtqrEw1uGuomovB_ohLw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2017-05-24 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dávid Beck; +Cc: lttng-dev

On 23 May 2017 at 09:50, Dávid Beck <david.beck.priv@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jérémie,
>
> I guess this is my lack of lttng understanding.
>
> I wanted to play around with relayd on Mac by having a Linux box generating
> the traces and give it a remote relayd for storing the traces locally on my
> Mac.
>
> I was thinking that I don't need a local sessiond on the Mac for this, do I?

Exactly. The relayd is the only daemon that is needed to receive
traces remotely.

> To answer your question I want to play around with Rust and Lttng on Mac
> because I have a few ideas of how to generate a few statistical performance
> metrics from the traces. Since this is a midnight project I have the luxury
> to do it in a language that I like as opposed to Java (the viewer) or
> C/Python (Babeltrace). So eventually I want to build an event collector in
> Rust, and to test the data flow I thought it is good to have the relayd on
> Mac.

Good to hear. Don't hesitate to share any progress you make, we're
always interested!

Jérémie

--
Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.

@ 2017-05-24 14:57       ` Michael Jeanson
       [not found]       ` <eb2eec76-8ad8-bea2-5933-629ac1f1df07@efficios.com>
From: Michael Jeanson @ 2017-05-24 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

On 2017-05-24 10:52, Jérémie Galarneau wrote:
> On 23 May 2017 at 09:50, Dávid Beck <david.beck.priv@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Jérémie,
>>
>> I guess this is my lack of lttng understanding.
>>
>> I wanted to play around with relayd on Mac by having a Linux box generating
>> the traces and give it a remote relayd for storing the traces locally on my
>> Mac.
>>
>> I was thinking that I don't need a local sessiond on the Mac for this, do I?
>
> Exactly. The relayd is the only daemon that is needed to receive
> traces remotely.
>

>> To answer your question I want to play around with Rust and Lttng on Mac
>> because I have a few ideas of how to generate a few statistical performance
>> metrics from the traces. Since this is a midnight project I have the luxury
>> to do it in a language that I like as opposed to Java (the viewer) or
>> C/Python (Babeltrace). So eventually I want to build an event collector in
>> Rust, and to test the data flow I thought it is good to have the relayd on
>> Mac.
>
> Good to hear. Don't hesitate to share any progress you make, we're
> always interested!
>
> Jérémie
>

>> Thank you, David

I could make a patch that sets the correct defaults on macOS and other
similar platforms where we only support building the relayd. Thoughts?

Michael

@ 2017-05-24 15:11         ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found]         ` <CA+jJMxs2=ua4LsaPS9DqBGY6gdLQqjCaibhnPYLt5k9d7Ke42Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2017-05-24 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Jeanson; +Cc: lttng-dev

On 24 May 2017 at 10:57, Michael Jeanson <mjeanson@efficios.com> wrote:
> On 2017-05-24 10:52, Jérémie Galarneau wrote:
>> On 23 May 2017 at 09:50, Dávid Beck <david.beck.priv@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Jérémie,
>>>
>>> I guess this is my lack of lttng understanding.
>>>
>>> I wanted to play around with relayd on Mac by having a Linux box generating
>>> the traces and give it a remote relayd for storing the traces locally on my
>>> Mac.
>>>
>>> I was thinking that I don't need a local sessiond on the Mac for this, do I?
>>
>> Exactly. The relayd is the only daemon that is needed to receive
>> traces remotely.
>>

>>> To answer your question I want to play around with Rust and Lttng on Mac
>>> because I have a few ideas of how to generate a few statistical performance
>>> metrics from the traces. Since this is a midnight project I have the luxury
>>> to do it in a language that I like as opposed to Java (the viewer) or
>>> C/Python (Babeltrace). So eventually I want to build an event collector in
>>> Rust, and to test the data flow I thought it is good to have the relayd on
>>> Mac.
>>
>> Good to hear. Don't hesitate to share any progress you make, we're
>> always interested!
>>
>> Jérémie
>>

>>> Thank you, David
>
> I could make a patch that sets the correct defaults on macOS and other
> similar platforms where we only support building the relayd. Thoughts?

Good idea! It will certainly be less error-prone.

Jérémie

> Michael

Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.
http://www.efficios.com

@ 2017-05-24 18:06           ` Michael Jeanson
       [not found]           ` <019415e6-017c-09b9-7f4a-0df71b51fc1a@efficios.com>
From: Michael Jeanson @ 2017-05-24 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Galarneau; +Cc: lttng-dev

On 2017-05-24 11:11, Jérémie Galarneau wrote:

> Good idea! It will certainly be less error-prone.

I added it to this [1] pull request since it's build system related. It
was tested on macOS 10.12.4.

Michael

[1] https://github.com/lttng/lttng-tools/pull/91

@ 2017-06-01 21:02             ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found]             ` <CA+jJMxvnbQuvPTR0uWw=XNXR-FARxyErDJhkND9kUwDUrLvNzQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2017-06-01 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dávid Beck; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi David,

The pull request Michael referenced was merged and your issue should
be resolved in both the master and stable-2.10 branches.

Jérémie

@ 2017-06-01 21:30               ` Dávid Beck
       [not found]               ` <9EB290C2-A968-4B16-9A1D-AA7BC38E2DE5@gmail.com>
From: Dávid Beck @ 2017-06-01 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Galarneau; +Cc: lttng-dev

Hi Jérémie,

Sounds great, thank you!

I had a quick look into this pull request and I haven’t found how this relates the issues I found:

1, HOST_NAME_MAX was not defined
2, errno.h was needed on Mac

May be it is only my lack of auto tools knowledge, I don’t know. Anyways, thank you again.

Best, David

@ 2017-06-01 21:59                 ` Jérémie Galarneau
       [not found]                 ` <CA+jJMxuYV8nN0kgseMnO6Psgpk_XYsndyM93Rus5xv4Z-GX1_w@mail.gmail.com>
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2017-06-01 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dávid Beck; +Cc: lttng-dev

On 1 June 2017 at 17:30, Dávid Beck <david.beck.priv@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jérémie,
>
> Sounds great, thank you!
>
> I had a quick look into this pull request and I haven’t found how this relates the issues I found:
>
> 1, HOST_NAME_MAX was not defined
> 2, errno.h was needed on Mac
>
> May be it is only my lack of auto tools knowledge, I don’t know. Anyways, thank you again.

Indeed, it doesn't fix those issues directly; it disables the build of
everything except the lttng-relayd on macOS in the default build
configuration.

I'm not sure it is worth addressing the build issues, except if
someone can confirm whether or not the rest of the toolchain actually
works on macOS.

Thanks,
Jérémie

--
Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.

@ 2017-06-01 22:03                   ` Dávid Beck
       [not found]                   ` <EF993367-57FA-41C2-A147-A9A7BC1439D6@gmail.com>
From: Dávid Beck @ 2017-06-01 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jérémie Galarneau; +Cc: lttng-dev

>> I had a quick look into this pull request and I haven’t found how this relates the issues I found:
>>
>> 1, HOST_NAME_MAX was not defined
>> 2, errno.h was needed on Mac
>>
>> May be it is only my lack of auto tools knowledge, I don’t know. Anyways, thank you again.
>
> Indeed, it doesn't fix those issues directly; it disables the build of
> everything except the lttng-relayd on macOS in the default build
> configuration.

I see. But the fixes I sent you are actually fixing the build of relayd.

I don’t understand how this PR helps then.

@ 2017-06-01 22:26                     ` Jérémie Galarneau
From: Jérémie Galarneau @ 2017-06-01 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dávid Beck; +Cc: lttng-dev

On 1 June 2017 at 18:03, Dávid Beck <david.beck.priv@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had a quick look into this pull request and I haven’t found how this
> relates the issues I found:
>
> 1, HOST_NAME_MAX was not defined
> 2, errno.h was needed on Mac
>
> May be it is only my lack of auto tools knowledge, I don’t know. Anyways,
> thank you again.
>

> Indeed, it doesn't fix those issues directly; it disables the build of
> everything except the lttng-relayd on macOS in the default build
> configuration.
>

> I see. But the fixes I sent you are actually fixing the build of relayd.

Your patch affects two files:

src/bin/lttng/commands/view.c
which is part of the lttng client and not used elsewhere. The client
is not built on macOS anymore (as per the PR).

I won't merge that part unless someone confirms the toolchain works on macOS.

src/common/compat/time.h
This fix looks good, but I'll have to look into it since ci.lttng.org
builds the lttng-relayd on macOS. Perhaps a system header changed
since between 10.11.6 and 10.12.5 (which I think is what the CI is
running).

Jérémie

--
Jérémie Galarneau
EfficiOS Inc.

* Patch for lttng tools to build on Mac OSX 10.11.6
@ 2017-05-21 15:30 Dávid Beck
From: Dávid Beck @ 2017-05-21 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lttng-dev

Hello Lttng Devs,

Please find a patch attached for building lttng tools with these configure flags (on Max OSX):

./configure --without-lttng-ust --disable-man-pages --disable-bin-lttng-consumerd --disable-bin-lttng-sessiond --disable-bin-lttng-crash --disable-kmod --disable-extras

Best, David

[-- Attachment #1.2.1: Type: text/html, Size: 1053 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.2.2: 0001-Fix-build-on-Mac-OSX-10.11.6.patch --]

From b0050fde3ff3e9e81aba8491b00489515e7fd64b Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: David Beck <david.beck.priv@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 21 May 2017 16:18:49 +0100
Subject: [PATCH lttng-tools] Fix build on Mac OSX 10.11.6

Signed-off-by: David Beck <david.beck.priv@gmail.com>
---
 src/bin/lttng/commands/view.c | 9 +++++++++
 src/common/compat/time.h      | 1 +
 2 files changed, 10 insertions(+)

diff --git a/src/bin/lttng/commands/view.c b/src/bin/lttng/commands/view.c
index c9a5fdc..d57f223 100644
--- a/src/bin/lttng/commands/view.c
+++ b/src/bin/lttng/commands/view.c
@@ -24,6 +24,15 @@
 #include <sys/types.h>
 #include <unistd.h>

+#ifdef __APPLE__
+#include <limits.h>
+#ifndef HOST_NAME_MAX
+#ifdef _POSIX_HOST_NAME_MAX
+#define HOST_NAME_MAX _POSIX_HOST_NAME_MAX
+#endif /*HOST_NAME_MAX*/
+#endif /*_POSIX_HOST_NAME_MAX*/
+#endif /*__APPLE__*/
+
 #include "../command.h"

 static char *opt_session_name;
diff --git a/src/common/compat/time.h b/src/common/compat/time.h
index 17447b3..cf4eb88 100644
--- a/src/common/compat/time.h
+++ b/src/common/compat/time.h
@@ -29,6 +29,7 @@