* Remotely choose a menu entry
@ 2014-11-29  1:10 Brugnara Daniele
From: Brugnara Daniele @ 2014-11-29  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel

Hi all.

I'm thinking about a system that boots with a wol packet. Who sends this
packet in 99% of cases, is far away from that computer and it could be
useful to boot into a different system instead of the default one. (please
keep in mind that changing the default option in grub is not a option for
this specific use case)

If a wol can be delivered successfully, an UDP packet containing simple
datas should be enough to achieve this.

Something like this:

- MAC: the destination device mac address
- choice: a number (can be empty)
- commandLine: a full commandline (a choice or this..)
- more? I don't know for now..

This option should be enabled in the grub.conf by the user.

What do you think about? Could this be useful? Am I missing something, like
a tool that does this automagically?

I've read about an eth-to-serial but it's not what I want.
PXE or bootp is not an option here. I don't want to manage another
server...

Thanks for your time.

Daniele.

* Re: Remotely choose a menu entry
@ 2014-11-29 16:03 ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2014-11-29 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brugnara Daniele; +Cc: grub-devel

В Sat, 29 Nov 2014 01:10:28 +0000
Brugnara Daniele <daniele@brugnara.me> пишет:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm thinking about a system that boots with a wol packet. Who sends this
> packet in 99% of cases, is far away from that computer and it could be
> useful to boot into a different system instead of the default one. (please
> keep in mind that changing the default option in grub is not a option for
> this specific use case)
>
> If a wol can be delivered successfully, an UDP packet containing simple
> datas should be enough to achieve this.
>
> Something like this:
>
> - MAC: the destination device mac address
> - choice: a number (can be empty)
> - commandLine: a full commandline (a choice or this..)
> - more? I don't know for now..
>
> This option should be enabled in the grub.conf by the user.
>
> What do you think about? Could this be useful? Am I missing something, like
> a tool that does this automagically?

Yes, it could probably be implemented as a command that loops listening
for magic packet and then sets default menu option. Of course, you
would need to consider security aspects (who is allowed to send
packet, how it is authenticated etc).

@ 2014-11-29 16:16   ` Brugnara Daniele
From: Brugnara Daniele @ 2014-11-29 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Borzenkov, Brugnara Daniele; +Cc: grub-devel

I am thinking about a secret key known from both sender and receiver and
encode/decode the packet using this, a strong algorithm, of course.

@ 2014-12-01  8:19     ` Parmeshwr_Prasad
From: Parmeshwr_Prasad @ 2014-12-01  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel, arvidjaar

Is your idea is to send kernel+grub+initramfs through magic packet ? if yes then lot of wol design should change first.

Regards
Parmeshwr

I am thinking about a secret key known from both sender and receiver and encode/decode the packet using this, a strong algorithm, of course.
Il giorno Sab 29 Nov 2014 17:03 Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com<mailto:arvidjaar@gmail.com>> ha scritto:
В Sat, 29 Nov 2014 01:10:28 +0000

@ 2014-12-01 10:37       ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2014-12-01 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parmeshwr_Prasad; +Cc: The development of GNU GRUB

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM,  <Parmeshwr_Prasad@dell.com> wrote:
> Is your idea is to send kernel+grub+initramfs through magic packet ?

No.

@ 2014-12-01 10:43         ` Parmeshwr_Prasad
From: Parmeshwr_Prasad @ 2014-12-01 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arvidjaar; +Cc: grub-devel

If you wanted system to boot with wol package then it should get kernel and initrd from somewhere.
What is your final goal? How you will get all required binaries ?

Regards
Parmeshwr

@ 2014-12-01 11:29           ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2014-12-01 11:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Parmeshwr_Prasad; +Cc: The development of GNU GRUB

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 1:43 PM,  <Parmeshwr_Prasad@dell.com> wrote:

> If you wanted system to boot with wol package then it should get kernel and initrd from somewhere.
> What is your final goal? How you will get all required binaries ?

Are you asking me? I'm not a topic starter.

@ 2014-12-01 11:30             ` Parmeshwr_Prasad
From: Parmeshwr_Prasad @ 2014-12-01 11:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: arvidjaar; +Cc: grub-devel

It is multicast but best person will be Daniele :)

@ 2014-12-01 23:13     ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-12-01 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB, Andrei Borzenkov, Brugnara Daniele

On 29.11.2014 17:16, Brugnara Daniele wrote:
> I am thinking about a secret key known from both sender and receiver and
> encode/decode the packet using this, a strong algorithm, of course.

Crypto doesn't work this way. By using weak algorithm your security is
broken but if youre only difference from weak system is a strong
algorithm, your security is probably still nil.
decryption doesn't guarantee integrity. For integrity check you need
MACs or signatures. But even this won't help you for your case. Think of
someone saving traffic for the choice of entry X and then simply
replaying it. It will be valid for entry X.

@ 2014-12-02  6:22       ` Parmeshwr_Prasad
From: Parmeshwr_Prasad @ 2014-12-02  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: grub-devel, arvidjaar, daniele

Hi Daniele,

I will be interested to develop this feature. Please let me know if I can contribute into this.

-Parmeshwr

On 29.11.2014 17:16, Brugnara Daniele wrote:
> I am thinking about a secret key known from both sender and receiver
> and encode/decode the packet using this, a strong algorithm, of course.

Crypto doesn't work this way. By using weak algorithm your security is broken but if youre only difference from weak system is a strong algorithm, your security is probably still nil.
decryption doesn't guarantee integrity. For integrity check you need MACs or signatures. But even this won't help you for your case. Think of someone saving traffic for the choice of entry X and then simply replaying it. It will be valid for entry X.
> Il giorno Sab 29 Nov 2014 17:03 Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar@gmail.com
> <mailto:arvidjaar@gmail.com>> ha scritto:
>
>     В Sat, 29 Nov 2014 01:10:28 +0000
>     Brugnara Daniele <daniele@brugnara.me <mailto:daniele@brugnara.me>>
>     пишет:
>
>     > Hi all.
>     >
>     > I'm thinking about a system that boots with a wol packet. Who
>     sends this
>     > packet in 99% of cases, is far away from that computer and it could be
>     > useful to boot into a different system instead of the default one.
>     (please
>     > keep in mind that changing the default option in grub is not a
>     option for
>     > this specific use case)
>     >
>     > If a wol can be delivered successfully, an UDP packet containing
>     simple
>     > datas should be enough to achieve this.
>     >
>     > Something like this:
>     >
>     > - MAC: the destination device mac address
>     > - choice: a number (can be empty)
>     > - commandLine: a full commandline (a choice or this..)
>     > - more? I don't know for now..
>     >
>     > This option should be enabled in the grub.conf by the user.
>     >
>     > What do you think about? Could this be useful? Am I missing
>     something, like
>     > a tool that does this automagically?
>     >

>     Yes, it could probably be implemented as a command that loops listening
>     for magic packet and then sets default menu option. Of course, you
>     would need to consider security aspects (who is allowed to send
>     packet, how it is authenticated etc).
>
>     > I've read about an eth-to-serial but it's not what I want.
>     > PXE or bootp is not an option here. I don't want to manage another
>     > server...
>     >
>     > Thanks for your time.
>     >
>     > Daniele.

* Autopilot, a module for remotely doing things
@ 2014-12-02 16:22 ` Brugnara Daniele
From: Brugnara Daniele @ 2014-12-02 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brugnara Daniele, grub-devel

Here I am again.. I'm studying grub code and thinking about this feature we
are talking about.
A funny name could be "autopilot". I'm thinking this about a big container
where to put more than a "pilot".

Let's see how my mind though this:

AUTOPILOT.mod

|____> UDP

|____> HTTP Server

|____> HTTP Client

|____> Serial

Each pilot will do the very same thing: receive/read a small cfg file and
GRUB will do what it must to do.

For a first release, it should be enough to pass:

choice=1

or

choice=Windows 7 (64 bit)

*Why two HTTP?*

It's just an idea. We can think GRUB as a web service that allows it self
being called from any application:

POST grub.local:8080/api/autopilot [!DATA!]

or see GRUB as a client that asks for a file to a centralized server:

http://givemethatfile.please/aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff

*Security*

This is a very important thing. Any suggestion will be very appreciated.

*Pilots*

The first release, can have only one pilot. There's no need to develop all
4 and more important, this four are not a final decision. Let's talk about
this.

*GRUB.cfg*

All informations about this module can be stored into grub.cfg or better, a
specific autopilot.cfg but I do not want to add too much complexity.

I'm thinking something about:

[autopilot]
pilots_engaged = UDP[, HTTPSERVER[, SERIAL]]

UDP.port = 1664
HTTPSERVER.port = 8080
SERIAL.port = /dev/ttyUSB0
SERIAL.conf = 57600 8N1
[...]

As always, let's talk about this :)

Daniele.

On Sat Nov 29 2014 at 2:07:31 AM Brugnara Daniele <daniele@brugnara.me>
wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> I'm thinking about a system that boots with a wol packet. Who sends this
> packet in 99% of cases, is far away from that computer and it could be
> useful to boot into a different system instead of the default one. (please
> keep in mind that changing the default option in grub is not a option for
> this specific use case)
>
> If a wol can be delivered successfully, an UDP packet containing simple
> datas should be enough to achieve this.
>
> Something like this:
>
> - MAC: the destination device mac address
> - choice: a number (can be empty)
> - commandLine: a full commandline (a choice or this..)
> - more? I don't know for now..
>
> This option should be enabled in the grub.conf by the user.
>
> What do you think about? Could this be useful? Am I missing something,
> like a tool that does this automagically?
>
> I've read about an eth-to-serial but it's not what I want.
> PXE or bootp is not an option here. I don't want to manage another
> server...
>
> Thanks for your time.
>
> Daniele.

* Re: Autopilot, a module for remotely doing things
@ 2014-12-03  7:42   ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2014-12-03  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB; +Cc: Brugnara Daniele

On Tue, Dec 2, 2014 at 7:22 PM, Brugnara Daniele <daniele@brugnara.me> wrote:
> Here I am again.. I'm studying grub code and thinking about this feature we
> are talking about.
> A funny name could be "autopilot". I'm thinking this about a big container
> where to put more than a "pilot".

> Each pilot will do the very same thing: receive/read a small cfg file and
> GRUB will do what it must to do.

This does not need any module.

source (http,server-or-IP)/extra.cfg

enclose in "set check_signatures=enforce; ...; set check_signatures="
to ensure file verification.

@ 2014-12-03  8:18     ` Brugnara Daniele
From: Brugnara Daniele @ 2014-12-03  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Borzenkov, The development of GNU GRUB; +Cc: Brugnara Daniele

This seems a very nice feature but I'm unable to make it work. I'm having
this error:

root@hulk:/home/vrut/dev/grub# update-grub
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 34: /etc/default/grub: source: not found

Am I missing something?

@ 2014-12-03  8:31       ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2014-12-03  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brugnara Daniele; +Cc: The development of GNU GRUB

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM, Brugnara Daniele <daniele@brugnara.me> wrote:
> This seems a very nice feature but I'm unable to make it work. I'm having
> this error:
>
> root@hulk:/home/vrut/dev/grub# update-grub
> /usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 34: /etc/default/grub: source: not found

source is grub command that should be executed at run time. If you
want to use grub-mkconfig to add this command, see
/etc/grub.d/40_custom

@ 2014-12-03 17:00         ` Brugnara Daniele
From: Brugnara Daniele @ 2014-12-03 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrei Borzenkov, Brugnara Daniele; +Cc: The development of GNU GRUB

I've tried a lot without success. There's no documentation about (http) in
exception for a little entry in this documentation (
https://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Device-syntax.html)
where is said about it but no details on how to mount or use this "device".

What I have also tried is:

insmod net
insmod http

net_ls_addr (gives no results)

and any of this commands gives no results (http server is never called, I'm
sure about this)
source (http,http://192.168.1.70:1273)/
source (http:http://192.168.1.70:1273)/
source (http,192.168.1.70,1273)/
source (http:192.168.1.70:1273:/)
[...]

Am I missing something? The lack of documentation doesn't help on this.
Many thanks for your time.

@ 2014-12-03 18:03           ` Alan Perry
From: Alan Perry @ 2014-12-03 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB; +Cc: Andrei Borzenkov, Brugnara Daniele

> On Dec 3, 2014, at 9:00 AM, Brugnara Daniele <daniele@brugnara.me> wrote:
>
> source (http,http://192.168.1.70:1273)/
> source (http:http://192.168.1.70:1273)/
> source (http,192.168.1.70,1273)/
> source (http:192.168.1.70:1273:/)
> [...]

alan

* Re: Autopilot, a module for remotely doing things
@ 2014-12-03 20:03             ` Brugnara Daniele
From: Brugnara Daniele @ 2014-12-03 20:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan Perry, The development of GNU GRUB
  Cc: Andrei Borzenkov, Brugnara Daniele

Do I have to initialize the network or grub does it self? I suppose that
calling *net_ls_cards* something should be printed out but this is not true
in my case.
*FOR_NET_CARDS* macro doesn't output any cards.
In the source code, I've found that there is a function *grub_net_card_register
*and for what I have understood, this should be called somewhere. I think
that this is done by the modules: *efinet, emunet, ofnet, ubootnet *and*
pxe*. I'm trying to insmod-ding *ofnet* but with no fortune.
If I'm doing something stupid, please tell me. I don't want to waste your
time.

Thanks.

@ 2014-12-03 20:34               ` Brugnara Daniele
From: Brugnara Daniele @ 2014-12-03 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brugnara Daniele, Alan Perry, The development of GNU GRUB
  Cc: Andrei Borzenkov

I think I've found the problem. I'm in virtualbox and no compatible cards
are found. I'll try with a real pc with a real nic and I'll let you know my
progress.
Daniele.

@ 2014-12-04  3:41               ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2014-12-04  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brugnara Daniele; +Cc: Alan Perry, The development of GNU GRUB

В Wed, 03 Dec 2014 20:03:04 +0000
Brugnara Daniele <daniele@brugnara.me> пишет:

> Do I have to initialize the network or grub does it self?

If grub is PXE booted, networking is already loaded and at boot
interface is set up. If grub is loaded from disk, you have to do it
yourself. net_bootp would try to autoconfigure all available adapters
via DHCP. See also grub info for description.

@ 2014-12-04  6:26                 ` Andrei Borzenkov
From: Andrei Borzenkov @ 2014-12-04  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brugnara Daniele; +Cc: Alan Perry, The development of GNU GRUB

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 11:34 PM, Brugnara Daniele <daniele@brugnara.me> wrote:
> I think I've found the problem. I'm in virtualbox and no compatible cards
> are found. I'll try with a real pc with a real nic and I'll let you know my
> progress.

Are you on legacy BIOS? GRUB does not have hardware NIC drivers; it
relies on networking support provided by platform firmware. In case of
legacy BIOS the only network stack is PXE and it is available only
when grub was booted via PXE.

@ 2014-12-07 16:41   ` Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko
From: Vladimir 'φ-coder/phcoder' Serbinenko @ 2014-12-07 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The development of GNU GRUB