* ofono vs modemmanager
@ 2019-02-25 22:43 JH
From: JH @ 2019-02-25 22:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

I am new to ofono, we used to use modemmanager for 3G/4G modem in a
tiny embedded Linux device, I tried to search Internet for the
differences between ofono and modemmanager, but I could not find any.
What is the appealing reason I can justify to use ofnono over
modemmanager? Is it because connman?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

jupiter

* Re: ofono vs modemmanager
@ 2019-02-26 23:50 ` Denis Kenzior
From: Denis Kenzior @ 2019-02-26 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi Jupiter,

On 02/25/2019 04:43 PM, JH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to ofono, we used to use modemmanager for 3G/4G modem in a
> tiny embedded Linux device, I tried to search Internet for the
> differences between ofono and modemmanager, but I could not find any.
> What is the appealing reason I can justify to use ofnono over
> modemmanager? Is it because connman?

A comprehensive answer would be fairly long-winded, so here's my attempt
at a short(er) one:

The two projects are related, and there is a lot of overlap between the
two.  However, they each focused on different aspects of the ecosystem.
ModemManager was mostly about making WWAN broadband work for laptops,
desktops and other devices.  Since it has been traditionally well
integrated with NetworkManager, it has a large install base.  It has
good support for various WWAN devices, arguably better than oFono in
this regard.

On the flip side, oFono was driven mostly by embedded phone use cases.
So it is/was much more focused on being a traditional telephony stack
and includes features like fully-featured voice call state machine,
multiple active PDP contexts, SIM filesystem reading/updating, SMS
(including various regional SMS language dialects), Supplementary
Services, Sim Toolkit, MMI code parsing, USSDs, and general
certification aspects.  oFono based devices have been certified /
pre-certified multiple times by GCF and there were (are?) still
companies selling phones with oFono (or variant thereof) as the
telephony stack.  I have not followed ModemManager development closely
in some time, so some of these may also now be available there as well.

So it sort of depends on your needs as to which project is more
suitable.  If you need to make a device that makes voice calls and has a
built-in modem, oFono is likely better suited to your needs.  If you
need to support a wide variety of devices (e.g. furnished by end-user)
and all you care about is WWAN broadband, then ModemManager probably has
an edge.

Perform your own due diligence and compare features side-by-side.

Regards,
-Denis

* Re: ofono vs modemmanager
@ 2019-02-27  0:41   ` JH