* NAND user space program
@ 2019-06-11 10:17 JH
From: JH @ 2019-06-11 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi,

In NOR flash, access flash in user space is integrated to the Linux
system read / write, is it the same story for NAND flash? I installed
mtd-utils, but not sure if I can still use Linux system read / write
to access NAND flash or not.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- JH

* Re: NAND user space program
@ 2019-06-11 13:21 ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2019-06-11 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-mtd

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:20 PM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In NOR flash, access flash in user space is integrated to the Linux
> system read / write, is it the same story for NAND flash? I installed
> mtd-utils, but not sure if I can still use Linux system read / write
> to access NAND flash or not.

Well, Linux exposes both NOR and NAND flashes as MTD.
So there shouldn't be much difference.
But make sure you can deal with specialties of NAND, such as
bad blocks.

//richard

* Re: NAND user space program
@ 2019-06-11 23:01   ` JH
From: JH @ 2019-06-11 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Weinberger; +Cc: linux-mtd

Thanks Richard, can the Linux zImage or rootfs load to NAND directly
via JTAG or serial line?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

- JH

On 6/11/19, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:20 PM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> In NOR flash, access flash in user space is integrated to the Linux
>> system read / write, is it the same story for NAND flash? I installed
>> mtd-utils, but not sure if I can still use Linux system read / write
>> to access NAND flash or not.
>
> Well, Linux exposes both NOR and NAND flashes as MTD.
> So there shouldn't be much difference.
> But make sure you can deal with specialties of NAND, such as
> bad blocks.
>

> --
> Thanks,
> //richard

* Re: NAND user space program
@ 2019-06-12  7:28     ` Richard Weinberger
From: Richard Weinberger @ 2019-06-12  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: Richard Weinberger, linux-mtd

> Thanks Richard, can the Linux zImage or rootfs load to NAND directly
> via JTAG or serial line?

This has nothing to do with Linux.
Please, ask your board/jtag vendor.
Some support such operations.

Thanks,
//richard

* Re: NAND user space program
@ 2019-06-12 10:26     ` Sergei Poselenov
From: Sergei Poselenov @ 2019-06-12 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: linux-mtd

Hello JH,

Going back to your original question, if your intention is to write a
Linux image to a raw (ie without filesystem) NAND partition, so the
bootloader (eg U-Boot) could be able to read the kernel image from
there, then the suggestion is to use the mtd-utils "nandwrite", which
is able to deal with the NAND bad blocks.

Regards,
Sergei

On Wed, 2019-06-12 at 09:01 +1000, JH wrote:
> Thanks Richard, can the Linux zImage or rootfs load to NAND directly
> via JTAG or serial line?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> - JH
>
> On 6/11/19, Richard Weinberger <richard.weinberger@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:20 PM JH <jupiter.hce@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In NOR flash, access flash in user space is integrated to the
> > > Linux
> > > system read / write, is it the same story for NAND flash? I
> > > installed
> > > mtd-utils, but not sure if I can still use Linux system read /
> > > write
> > > to access NAND flash or not.
> >
> > Well, Linux exposes both NOR and NAND flashes as MTD.
> > So there shouldn't be much difference.
> > But make sure you can deal with specialties of NAND, such as
> > bad blocks.
> >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > //richard

* Re: NAND user space program
@ 2019-06-13 10:41       ` JH
From: JH @ 2019-06-13 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sergei Poselenov; +Cc: linux-mtd

Thanks Sergei for the clarification, good to know that mtd-utils  has
already handled bad blacks, I don't need to worry about it.

Kind regards,

- JH