* How to make a local patch without a commit number, or will not be possible?
@ 2020-02-03  7:06 JH
From: JH @ 2020-02-03  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

Hi,

I want to make a patch file for mx6ullevk.h in
meta-freescale/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb, to customize
mtdparts, bootcmd and bootargs as I could not find a simple way to do
it in a bbapaend, but I got an error of unable to fetch URL from any
source because the mx6ullevk.h.patch ls my local one, it does have a
commit number. Is it possible to do it or not?

In general, how did you customize u-boot mtdparts, bootcmd and
bootarg? It is very common thing, but I don't see anyone talking about
it. Is there a simple way I don't know? What could I be missing?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

 -jh

* Re: [yocto] How to make a local patch without a commit number, or will not be possible?
@ 2020-02-03  7:32 ` Gabriele
From: Gabriele @ 2020-02-03  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hi JH,

since uboot migrated to kconfig for a while, I'd suggest you to patch the
Freescale's one with your custom machine defconfig and then specify the
UBOOT_MACHINE = "my_machine_defconfig"
in your machine conf file.
The process is the same as the kernel:
- make [...] <some_defconfig>
- make [...] menuconfig
- make [...] savedefconfig
Put the resulting defconfig in configs/ and rename it to
<my_machine_defconfig> and then generate a patch.
This patch can be applied through a bbappend to the freescale recipe.

Hope it helps,
Gabriele

@ 2020-02-03  9:08 ` Quentin Schulz
From: Quentin Schulz @ 2020-02-03  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: JH; +Cc: Yocto discussion list

Hi JH,

On Mon, Feb 03, 2020 at 06:06:18PM +1100, JH wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to make a patch file for mx6ullevk.h in
> meta-freescale/recipes-bsp/u-boot/u-boot-imx_2017.03.bb, to customize
> mtdparts, bootcmd and bootargs as I could not find a simple way to do
> it in a bbapaend, but I got an error of unable to fetch URL from any
> source because the mx6ullevk.h.patch ls my local one, it does have a
> commit number. Is it possible to do it or not?

I think you're looking for `git format-patch`. This creates a patch for
the latest commit (HEAD). Take this .patch and add it to your SRC_URI in
a bbappend.

Also as Gabrielle said, U-Boot is having more and more options in
Kconfig instead of board header files, so maybe there's an Kconfig
option you can modify with menuconfig to set the mtdparts, bootcmd
and/or bootargs in which case I suggest you to follow what Gabrielle
said.

Note that you could technically pass a local git repo by changing the
URL to git:///path/to/local/git/repo (that should be enough) and then
you'd be able to use your local SRCREV (BUT, that should be used just
for *testing*).

BR,
Quentin