* Re: eBPF support for TCP payload append feature
       [not found] <CABX6iNpgX0EHWNJxb5Vd45Dc6BmS7P7Fjz5o0AyHU3Jq0ORYTw@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2021-07-08 22:06 ` Alexei Starovoitov
From: Alexei Starovoitov @ 2021-07-08 22:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sandesh.DhawaskarSathyanarayana; +Cc: bpf, Alexei Starovoitov, Daniel Borkmann

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 8:29 AM Sandesh Dhawaskar Sathyanarayana
<Sandesh.DhawaskarSathyanarayana@colorado.edu> wrote:

> Hence to do such modification for TCP telemetry in eBPF with software switches, we need to add new eBPF support as kernel workaround can create csum issues for TCP.

For TCP telemetry use case a custom TCP hdr option would fit better.
Sender and receiver TCP stacks won't get confused and middle boxes
should handle it fine.
https://lore.kernel.org/bpf/20200820190008.2883500-1-kafai@fb.com/
Once such option (read: space in the packet) is produced at the sender side
the middle box can fill in the extra data running at XDP layer, since space
in the packet is already reserved.
I believe UDP is already used for switch telemetry in such a fashion.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2021-07-08 22:06 UTC | newest]