* [Buildroot] Failing defconfigs due to GCC 6
@ 2017-08-10 21:01 Arnout Vandecappelle
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2017-08-10 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 Hi all,

 A number of defconfigs fail to build (usually the kernel, in one case U-Boot)
because of GCC 6. Some of these could be fixed by simply bumping the upstream
kernel; however, we really want defconfigs to be tested on an actual board,
otherwise there's not much point.

 I've put the people who have been involved in these defconfigs in To. Could you
look at these defconfigs and try to fix the build with GCC 6? Anything that
remains unfixed by the end of the month will probably be removed.

beaglebone_qt5_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873600

firefly_rk3288_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873613

firefly_rk3288_demo_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873615

ci40_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873604

armadeus_apf9328_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873568

galileo_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873632

freescale_p1010rdb_pa_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873630

 Regards,
 Arnout

* [Buildroot] Failing defconfigs due to GCC 6
@ 2017-08-11 13:20 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
       [not found]   ` <CAHkwnC9pJMX2AxcHsyMHiPMx_F8vDLNDp0sCFuSdcz0hNhdPSg@mail.gmail.com>
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2017-08-11 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 10-08-17 23:01, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  A number of defconfigs fail to build (usually the kernel, in one case U-Boot)
> because of GCC 6. Some of these could be fixed by simply bumping the upstream
> kernel; however, we really want defconfigs to be tested on an actual board,
> otherwise there's not much point.
>
>  I've put the people who have been involved in these defconfigs in To. Could you
> look at these defconfigs and try to fix the build with GCC 6? Anything that
> remains unfixed by the end of the month will probably be removed.

 Looks like yesterday I missed a few:

riotboard_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/arnout/buildroot/-/jobs/28979360

telit_evk_pro3_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/arnout/buildroot/-/jobs/28979373

toradex_apalis_imx6_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/arnout/buildroot/-/jobs/28979374

ts4900_defconfig:
https://gitlab.com/arnout/buildroot/-/jobs/28979376

 All of these seem to have a DTS in 4.11, so perhaps we can switch to upstream?

 Regards,
 Arnout

* [Buildroot] Failing defconfigs due to GCC 6
@ 2017-08-11 15:19 ` Ezequiel Garcia
From: Ezequiel Garcia @ 2017-08-11 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 10 August 2017 at 18:01, Arnout Vandecappelle <arnout@mind.be> wrote:

> firefly_rk3288_defconfig:
> https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873613
>
> firefly_rk3288_demo_defconfig:
> https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873615

We no longer have firefly boards. We pushed this upstream
because were supposedly gonna keep the hardware from a
project.

In the end, we had to return the boards.

I think we should remove these if nobody can test.
--
Ezequiel Garc?a, VanguardiaSur
www.vanguardiasur.com.ar

* [Buildroot] Failing defconfigs due to GCC 6
@ 2017-08-14 15:29   ` Mathieu Audat
       [not found]   ` <CAHkwnC9pJMX2AxcHsyMHiPMx_F8vDLNDp0sCFuSdcz0hNhdPSg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Mathieu Audat @ 2017-08-14 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Arnout,

> On 10-08-17 23:01, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>>  Hi all,
>>
>>  A number of defconfigs fail to build (usually the kernel, in one case U-Boot)
>> because of GCC 6. Some of these could be fixed by simply bumping the upstream
>> kernel; however, we really want defconfigs to be tested on an actual board,
>> otherwise there's not much point.
>>
>>  I've put the people who have been involved in these defconfigs in To. Could you
>> look at these defconfigs and try to fix the build with GCC 6? Anything that
>> remains unfixed by the end of the month will probably be removed.
>
> Looks like yesterday I missed a few:
>
> riotboard_defconfig:
> https://gitlab.com/arnout/buildroot/-/jobs/28979360
>
> telit_evk_pro3_defconfig:
> https://gitlab.com/arnout/buildroot/-/jobs/28979373
>
> toradex_apalis_imx6_defconfig:
> https://gitlab.com/arnout/buildroot/-/jobs/28979374
>
> ts4900_defconfig:
> https://gitlab.com/arnout/buildroot/-/jobs/28979376

We still have this board, as you suggested a simple fix would be to bump the kernel.
I'll have a look this week and test it.

> All of these seem to have a DTS in 4.11, so perhaps we can switch to upstream?

Indeed, that would be nice :)

--
Mathieu Audat
Consultant en logiciel libre | Montr?al, Qc

* [Buildroot] Failing defconfigs due to GCC 6
@ 2017-08-14 20:38 ` Kinsella, Ray
From: Kinsella, Ray @ 2017-08-14 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Arnout,

The Galileo and Galileo Gen 2 are supported by the upstream kernel, so that would be simplest approach.
Some minor non-upstream fixes will however be lost along the way.

The biggest obstacle is that I wouldn't be able to do anything on this until at least mid-September (due to travel).
Would be a pity to see Galileo support depreciated in BR.

Ray K

* [Buildroot] Failing defconfigs due to GCC 6
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-08-16 10:22 ` Julien Boibessot
From: Julien Boibessot @ 2017-08-16 10:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

Arnout,

On 10/08/2017 23:01, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  A number of defconfigs fail to build (usually the kernel, in one case U-Boot)
> because of GCC 6. Some of these could be fixed by simply bumping the upstream
> kernel; however, we really want defconfigs to be tested on an actual board,
> otherwise there's not much point.
>
>  I've put the people who have been involved in these defconfigs in To. Could you
> look at these defconfigs and try to fix the build with GCC 6? Anything that
> remains unfixed by the end of the month will probably be removed.

> armadeus_apf9328_defconfig:
> https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873568

As i.MX1 is no more (well) supported in Linux vanilla kernel and APF9328
board is no more recommended for new projects, I think I will send a
patch to remove this defconfig from BR.

OK for you ?

* [Buildroot] Failing defconfigs due to GCC 6
@ 2017-08-16 11:22   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2017-08-16 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 16-08-17 12:22, Julien Boibessot wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Arnout,
>
> On 10/08/2017 23:01, Arnout Vandecappelle wrote:
>>  Hi all,
>>
>>  A number of defconfigs fail to build (usually the kernel, in one case U-Boot)
>> because of GCC 6. Some of these could be fixed by simply bumping the upstream
>> kernel; however, we really want defconfigs to be tested on an actual board,
>> otherwise there's not much point.
>>
>>  I've put the people who have been involved in these defconfigs in To. Could you
>> look at these defconfigs and try to fix the build with GCC 6? Anything that
>> remains unfixed by the end of the month will probably be removed.

>> armadeus_apf9328_defconfig:
>> https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/27873568

> As i.MX1 is no more (well) supported in Linux vanilla kernel and APF9328
> board is no more recommended for new projects, I think I will send a
> patch to remove this defconfig from BR.
>
> OK for you ?

 Yes, thanks.

 Regards,
 Arnout

@ 2017-08-16 19:29     ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2017-08-16 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 14-08-17 08:52, Fabio Porcedda wrote:
> If possible i would like to backport the patch to support GCC 6 in the
> mean time.

 That's fine, or alternatively (if you're pretty sure you can find a fundamental
fix eventually) you can just fix GCC to version 5 for now. Up to you.

 Regards,
 Arnout

* [Buildroot] Failing defconfigs due to GCC 6
@ 2017-08-16 19:33   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2017-08-16 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 11-08-17 17:19, Ezequiel Garcia wrote:
> I think we should remove these if nobody can test.

 Could you submit a patch that does that?

 Thanks,
 Arnout

* [Buildroot] Failing defconfigs due to GCC 6
@ 2017-08-16 19:34   ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2017-08-16 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 14-08-17 22:38, Kinsella, Ray wrote:
> Hi Arnout,
>
> The Galileo and Galileo Gen 2 are supported by the upstream kernel, so that would be simplest approach.
> Some minor non-upstream fixes will however be lost along the way.
>
> The biggest obstacle is that I wouldn't be able to do anything on this until at least mid-September (due to travel).
> Would be a pity to see Galileo support depreciated in BR.

 If you're sure that you can update this defconfig later, I'll for now make a
patch that just fixes GCC to version 5.

 Regards,
 Arnout