From: Tomasz Figa <tfiga@chromium.org>
To: Laurent Pinchart <laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com>
Cc: Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl>,
	Hirokazu Honda <hiroh@chromium.org>,
	Boris Brezillon <boris.brezillon@collabora.com>
Subject: Re: [RFP] Which V4L2 ioctls could be replaced by better versions?
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 13:18:17 +0900	[thread overview]

On Fri, Oct 26, 2018 at 10:42 PM Laurent Pinchart
<laurent.pinchart@ideasonboard.com> wrote:

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> On Friday, 26 October 2018 14:41:26 EEST Tomasz Figa wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 11:42 PM Hans Verkuil <hverkuil@xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > > Some parts of the V4L2 API are awkward to use and I think it would be
> > > a good idea to look at possible candidates for that.
> > >
> > > Examples are the ioctls that use struct v4l2_buffer: the multiplanar
> > > support is really horrible, and writing code to support both single and
> > > multiplanar is hard. We are also running out of fields and the timeval
> > > isn't y2038 compliant.
> > >
> > > A proof-of-concept is here:
> > >
> > > https://git.linuxtv.org/hverkuil/media_tree.git/commit/?h=v4l2-buffer&id=a
> > > 95549df06d9900f3559afdbb9da06bd4b22d1f3
> > >
> > > It's a bit old, but it gives a good impression of what I have in mind.
> >
> > On a related, but slightly different note, I'm wondering how we should
> > handle a case where we have an M format (e.g. NV12M with 2 memory
> > planes), but only 1 DMA-buf with all planes to import. That generally
> > means that we have to use the same DMA-buf FD with an offset for each
> > plane. In theory, v4l2_plane::data_offset could be used for this, but
> > the documentation says that it should be set by the application only
> > for OUTPUT planes. Moreover, existing drivers tend to just ignore
> > it...
>
> The following patches may be of interest.
>
> https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/29177/
> https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/29178/

[+CC Boris]

Thanks Laurent for pointing me to those patches.

Repurposing the data_offset field may sound like a plausible way to do
it, but it's not, for several reasons:

1) The relation between data_offset and other fields in v4l2_buffer
makes it hard to use in drivers and userspace.

2) It is not handled by vb2, so each driver would have to
explicitly add data_offset to the plane address and subtract it from
plane size and/or bytesused (since data_offset counts into plane size
and bytesused),

3) For CAPTURE buffers, it's actually defined as set-by-driver
(https://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-dvb-apis/uapi/v4l/buffer.html#struct-v4l2-plane),
so anything userspace sets there is bound to be ignored. I'm not sure
if we can change this now, as it would be a compatibility issue.

(There are actually real use cases for it, i.e. the venus driver
outputs VPx encoded frames prepended with the IVF header, but that's
not what the V4L2 VPx formats expect, so the data_offset is set by the
driver to point to the raw bitstream data.)

Best regards,
Tomasz