* Yocto procedure to write generated image to hdd
@ 2018-03-01 11:20 Iván Castell
From: Iván Castell @ 2018-03-01 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

Hello forum.

Working with 'rocko' yocto branch. Yocto generates .ext4, .hddimg and .wic
images. I want to install the proper image to the HDD of my PC, in order to
use it as my default Linux distro.

I have been using the .wic image to boot from the USB pendrive until now,
writing it to the USB using 'dd'. This works fine, but because of some BIOS
issues, I had to modify mkefidisk.wks script to add 'noapic' option
(probably this is relevant).

To try to install the generated image in my hard disk, I write the .hddimg
file to a USB-pendrive using dd and the plug the pendrive and boot the PC.
A boot menu of GNU GRUB version 2.02 appears with two options:

    * install
    * noot

Editing the install option I can see this:

    setparams 'install'
    linux /vmlinuz LABEL=install-efi root=/dev/ram0 rootwait
console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
    initrd /initrd

And editing boot options I can see this:

    setparams 'boot'
    linux /vmlinuz LABEL=boot root=/dev/ram0 rootwait console=ttyS0,115200
console=tty0
    initrd /initrd

After choosing "install" option and pressing "Enter", a black screen
appears and nothing else happens.

I have tried editing 'install' option, adding 'noapic' after console=tty0,
and then I can see logs of kernel booting and after 0.5 secods the screen
is flooded of error lines:

    /init: line 65: sleep: command not found
    /init: line 65: sleep: command not found
    /init: line 65: sleep: command not found

Is this the proper way to install the generated image in the hard disk?
Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance! :-)

Best regards,
  -- Ivan

* Re: Yocto procedure to write generated image to hdd
@ 2018-03-01 16:15 ` Iván Castell
From: Iván Castell @ 2018-03-01 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto Project

After writting the .hddimg file to a USB-pendrive I have mounted the
pendrive to analyze contents in my laptop. It contains the following files:

    ./EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg
    ./EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi
    ./initrd
    ./ldlinux.sys
    ./libcom32.c32
    ./libutil.c32
    ./rootfs.img
    ./startup.nsh
    ./syslinux.cfg
    ./vesamenu.c32
    ./vmlinuz
    ./ldlinux.c32

This is the content of /EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg file:

    $ cat EFI/BOOT/grub.cfg
    # Automatically created by OE
    serial --unit=0 --speed=115200 --word=8 --parity=no --stop=1
    default=install
    timeout=3

    menuentry 'install'{
    linux /vmlinuz LABEL=install-efi root=/dev/ram0
rootwait console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
    initrd /initrd
    }

    menuentry 'boot'{
    linux /vmlinuz LABEL=boot root=/dev/ram0  rootwait console=ttyS0,115200
console=tty0
    initrd /initrd
    }

I found this link with useful information:

    https://www.yoctoproject.org/downloads/bsps/danny13/atom-pc

According to it, "it is likely the BIOS cannot understand the physical
layout of the disk".

This sounds strange to me, because USB-pendrive boots fine when the .wic
image is burned into the USB-pendrive. But anyway, I have checked BIOS
USB-related settings and this is my current setup:

Main information:

    BIOS Vendor: American Megratrends
    Core Version 5.009
    Compilancy: UEFI 2.3; PI 1.2
    BIOS ID: N29NL009 x64

USB-related information:

    USB Module version: 8.11.02
    Legacy USB Support [Enabled]
    USB 2.0 Controller Mode [HiSpeed]
    XHCI Hand-off [Enabled]
    EHCI Hand-off [Disabled]
    USB Mass Storage Driver Support is [Enabled]

    General UDisk 5.00 [Auto]

I don't know what can I do to manage this issue. I'm really blocked on
this, any help to would be very helpful. Thanks in advance!!

@ 2018-03-01 23:41 ` Anuj Mittal
From: Anuj Mittal @ 2018-03-01 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iván Castell, Yocto Project

Hi,

On 03/01/2018 07:20 PM, Iván Castell wrote:
> Hello forum.
>
> Working with 'rocko' yocto branch. Yocto generates .ext4, .hddimg and
> .wic images. I want to install the proper image to the HDD of my PC, in
> order to use it as my default Linux distro.
>
> I have been using the .wic image to boot from the USB pendrive until
> now, writing it to the USB using 'dd'. This works fine, but because of
> some BIOS issues, I had to modify mkefidisk.wks script to add 'noapic'
> option (probably this is relevant).
>
> To try to install the generated image in my hard disk, I write the
> .hddimg file to a USB-pendrive using dd and the plug the pendrive and
> boot the PC. A boot menu of GNU GRUB version 2.02 appears with two options:
>
>     * install
>     * noot
>
> Editing the install option I can see this:
>
>     setparams 'install'
>     linux /vmlinuz LABEL=install-efi root=/dev/ram0 rootwait
> console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
>     initrd /initrd
>
> And editing boot options I can see this:
>
>     setparams 'boot'
>     linux /vmlinuz LABEL=boot root=/dev/ram0 rootwait
> console=ttyS0,115200 console=tty0
>     initrd /initrd
>
> After choosing "install" option and pressing "Enter", a black screen
> appears and nothing else happens.
>
> I have tried editing 'install' option, adding 'noapic' after
> console=tty0, and then I can see logs of kernel booting and after 0.5
> secods the screen is flooded of error lines:
>
>     /init: line 65: sleep: command not found
>     /init: line 65: sleep: command not found
>     /init: line 65: sleep: command not found
>

> Is this the proper way to install the generated image in the hard disk?
> Maybe I am doing something wrong?

Does the image boot up if you select 'boot'? Do you eventually get
options to select storage media after all these 'not found' messages if
you select 'install'? Can you share the logs?

Thanks,
Anuj

@ 2018-03-02  7:41   ` Iván Castell
From: Iván Castell @ 2018-03-02  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anuj Mittal; +Cc: Yocto Project

> On 03/01/2018 07:20 PM, Iván Castell wrote:
> >
> > Is this the proper way to install the generated image in the hard disk?
> > Maybe I am doing something wrong?
>
> Does the image boot up if you select 'boot'?

I tested selecting 'boot' option and it happens exactly the same: a black
screen appears when booting with default options, and when adding "noapic",
the screen is flooded of "sleep: command not found" messages.

> Do you eventually get options to select storage media after all these 'not
> found' messages if you select 'install'?

After waiting more than 5 minutes, the "sleep: command not found" message
continues flooding the screen.

> Can you share the logs?

If I could, I would do it, but I have no way to get those logs out of the
box without a terminal available.

@ 2018-03-02  8:15     ` Anuj Mittal
From: Anuj Mittal @ 2018-03-02  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iván Castell; +Cc: Yocto Project

On 03/02/2018 03:41 PM, Iván Castell wrote:

> <mailto:anuj.mittal@intel.com>>:
>
>     Hi,
>
>     On 03/01/2018 07:20 PM, Iván Castell wrote:
>     >
>     > Is this the proper way to install the generated image in the hard
>     disk?
>     > Maybe I am doing something wrong?
>
>     Does the image boot up if you select 'boot'?
>

> I tested selecting 'boot' option and it happens exactly the same: a
> black screen appears when booting with default options, and when adding
> "noapic", the screen is flooded of "sleep: command not found" messages.
>

>     Do you eventually get options to select storage media after all
>     these 'not found' messages if you select 'install'?
>

> After waiting more than 5 minutes, the "sleep: command not found"
> message continues flooding the screen.
>

>     Can you share the logs?
>

> If I could, I would do it, but I have no way to get those logs out of
> the box without a terminal available.

The error is probably coming from
meta/recipes-core/initrdscripts/initramfs-framework/init.

You can pass a boot parameter 'init_fatal_sh' and that should help you
drop to a shell and debug this problem further.

* Re: Yocto procedure to write generated image to hdd
@ 2018-03-02  8:52       ` Iván Castell
From: Iván Castell @ 2018-03-02  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anuj Mittal; +Cc: Yocto Project

First of all, thank you for your support Mr. Anuj.

I extracted "initrd" image contents:

$ binwalk initrd

DECIMAL       HEXADECIMAL     DESCRIPTION
--------------------
0             0x0             ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC), file
name: "kernel", file name length: "0x00000007", file size: "0x00000000"
120           0x78            ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC), file
name: "kernel/x86", file name length: "0x0000000B", file size: "0x00000000"
244           0xF4            ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC), file
name: "kernel/x86/microcode", file name length: "0x00000015", file size:
"0x00000000"
376           0x178           ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC), file
name: "kernel/x86/microcode/.enuineIntel.align.0123456789abc", file name
length: "0x00000036", file size: "0x00000000"
540           0x21C           ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC), file
name: "kernel/x86/microcode/GenuineIntel.bin", file name length:
"0x00000026", file size: "0x00183400"
1586864       0x1836B0        ASCII cpio archive (SVR4 with no CRC), file
name: "TRAILER!!!", file name length: "0x0000000B", file size: "0x00000000"
1587200       0x183800        gzip compressed data, maximum compression,
from Unix, last modified: 2018-02-28 14:29:13

$ dd if=initrd bs=1587200 skip=1 | gunzip | cpio -idm

Now I have the initrd filesystem available. I can confirm there is a bug in
that filesystem because the "init" script uses "sleep" but that tool is not
installed on it.

# Prints a message and start a endless loop
fatal() {
    echo $1 >/dev/console
    echo >/dev/console

    if [ -n "$bootparam_init_fatal_sh" ]; then
        sh
    else
    while [ "true" ]; do
        sleep 3600
    done
    fi
}

As you pointed, that "init" script is located into
poky/meta/recipes-core/initrdscripts/initramfs-framework/init. In that init
script there are two calls to "fatal" function. Maybe this information can
be useful to discover what is happening.

I have tested adding suggested "init_fatal_sh" bootarg but I don't get any
shell to debug the problem.

--

*NOTA LEGAL*
Este correo electrónico y, en su caso, cualquier fichero anexo al mismo,

De conformidad con lo establecido en la LOPD, NAYAR SYSTEMS SL garantiza la
adopción de las medidas necesarias para asegurar el tratamiento
confidencial de los datos de carácter personal. Así mismo le informamos de
la inclusión de sus datos en un fichero bajo la responsabilidad de NAYAR
SYSTEMS SL, con la finalidad de poder atender los compromisos derivados de
la relación que mantenemos con usted. Si lo desea, puede ejercer sus
derechos de acceso, rectificación, cancelación y oposición mediante un
escrito a la siguiente dirección: info@nayarsystems.com

*LEGAL NOTE*
This email and any attachments to it contains is confidential information
exclusively intended for the recipients. Any divulgation, copy or
distribution to third parties is prohibited without written permission of
NAYAR SYSTEMS SL. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify
the sender immediately. In accordance with Law 15/1999 of 13 December on
the Protection of Personal Data, the NAYAR SYSTEMS SL guarantees that it
has adopted the necessary measures to ensure the confidential treatment of
personal information. We also inform you that you can exercise your access,
rectification, cancellation and opposition rights by send us a mail to:
info@nayarsystems.com

* Re: Yocto procedure to write generated image to hdd
@ 2018-03-02  9:42         ` Iván Castell
From: Iván Castell @ 2018-03-02  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anuj Mittal; +Cc: Yocto Project