* Re: Prioritize Heartbeat packets
       [not found]   ` <ltmnkp$tod$1@ger.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-07  0:20     ` Robert LeBlanc
       [not found]       ` <CAANLjFrHdDNJnMnWQk3s2cT0LZxsCGp63xHBJw7HNJocfSahzw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Robert LeBlanc @ 2015-03-07  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw, ceph-devel

I see that Jian Wen has done work on this for 0.94. I tried looking through
the code to see if I can figure out how to configure this new option, but
it all went over my head pretty quick.

Can I get a brief summary on how to set the priority of heartbeat packets
or where to look in the code to figure it out?

Thanks,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Daniel Swarbrick <
daniel.swarbrick-EIkl63zCoXaH+58JC4qpiA@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On 28/08/14 02:56, Sage Weil wrote:
> > I seem to remember someone telling me there were hooks/hints you could
> > call that would tag either a socket or possibly data on that socket with
> > label for use by iptables and such.. but I forget what it was.
> >

> Something like setsockopt() SO_MARK?
>
>        *SO_MARK *(since Linux 2.6.25)
>               Set the mark for each packet sent through this socket
> (similar
>               to the netfilter MARK target but socket-based).  Changing the
>               mark can be used for mark-based routing without netfilter or
>               for packet filtering.  Setting this option requires the
>               *CAP_NET_ADMIN *capability.
>
> Alternatively, directly set IP_TOS options on the socket, or SO_PRIORITY
> which sets the IP TOS bits as well.

* Fwd:  Prioritize Heartbeat packets
       [not found]       ` <CAANLjFrHdDNJnMnWQk3s2cT0LZxsCGp63xHBJw7HNJocfSahzw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2015-03-07  0:22         ` Robert LeBlanc
From: Robert LeBlanc @ 2015-03-07  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

Hidden HTML ... trying agin...

@ 2015-03-07 23:23       ` Daniel Swarbrick
From: Daniel Swarbrick @ 2015-03-07 23:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel; +Cc: ceph-users

Judging by the commit, this ought to do the trick:

osd heartbeat use min delay socket = true

@ 2015-03-09 19:36         ` Robert LeBlanc
From: Robert LeBlanc @ 2015-03-09 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Swarbrick; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

I've found commit 9b9a682fe035c985e416ee1c112fa58f9045a27c and I see
that when 'osd heartbeat use min delay socket = true' it will mark the
packet with DSCP CS6. Based on the setting of the socket in
msg/simple/Pipe.cc is it possible that this can apply to both OSD and
monitor? I don't understand the code enough to know how the
set_socket_options() is called from the OSD and monitor.

If this applies to both monitor and OSD, would it be better to rename
the option to a more generic name?

Thanks,

On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Daniel Swarbrick
<daniel.swarbrick-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Judging by the commit, this ought to do the trick:
>
> osd heartbeat use min delay socket = true
>
> On 07/03/15 01:20, Robert LeBlanc wrote:
>>
>> I see that Jian Wen has done work on this for 0.94. I tried looking
>> through the code to see if I can figure out how to configure this new
>> option, but it all went over my head pretty quick.
>>
>> Can I get a brief summary on how to set the priority of heartbeat
>> packets or where to look in the code to figure it out?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Daniel Swarbrick
>> <daniel.swarbrick-EIkl63zCoXaH+58JC4qpiA@public.gmane.org
>> <mailto:daniel.swarbrick-EIkl63zCoXaH+58JC4qpiA@public.gmane.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     On 28/08/14 02:56, Sage Weil wrote:
>>     > I seem to remember someone telling me there were hooks/hints you
>> could
>>     > call that would tag either a socket or possibly data on that socket
>> with a
>>     > label for use by iptables and such.. but I forget what it was.
>>     >

>>     Something like setsockopt() SO_MARK?
>>
>>             *SO_MARK *(since Linux 2.6.25)
>>                    Set the mark for each packet sent through this socket
>>     (similar
>>                    to the netfilter MARK target but socket-based).
>>     Changing the
>>                    mark can be used for mark-based routing without
>>     netfilter or
>>                    for packet filtering.  Setting this option requires the
>>                    *CAP_NET_ADMIN *capability.
>>
>>     Alternatively, directly set IP_TOS options on the socket, or
>> SO_PRIORITY
>>     which sets the IP TOS bits as well.

* Re: [ceph-users] Prioritize Heartbeat packets
@ 2015-03-10  2:58           ` Jian Wen
From: Jian Wen @ 2015-03-10  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert LeBlanc; +Cc: Daniel Swarbrick, ceph-devel, ceph-users

Only OSD calls set_socket_priority().
See  https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/3353

On Tue, Mar 10, 2015 at 3:36 AM, Robert LeBlanc <robert@leblancnet.us> wrote:
> I've found commit 9b9a682fe035c985e416ee1c112fa58f9045a27c and I see
> that when 'osd heartbeat use min delay socket = true' it will mark the
> packet with DSCP CS6. Based on the setting of the socket in
> msg/simple/Pipe.cc is it possible that this can apply to both OSD and
> monitor? I don't understand the code enough to know how the
> set_socket_options() is called from the OSD and monitor.
>
> If this applies to both monitor and OSD, would it be better to rename
> the option to a more generic name?
>
> Thanks,
>
> On Sat, Mar 7, 2015 at 4:23 PM, Daniel Swarbrick
> <daniel.swarbrick@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Judging by the commit, this ought to do the trick:
>>
>> osd heartbeat use min delay socket = true
>>
>> On 07/03/15 01:20, Robert LeBlanc wrote:
>>>
>>> I see that Jian Wen has done work on this for 0.94. I tried looking
>>> through the code to see if I can figure out how to configure this new
>>> option, but it all went over my head pretty quick.
>>>
>>> Can I get a brief summary on how to set the priority of heartbeat
>>> packets or where to look in the code to figure it out?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 2:01 AM, Daniel Swarbrick
>>> <daniel.swarbrick@profitbricks.com
>>> <mailto:daniel.swarbrick@profitbricks.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     On 28/08/14 02:56, Sage Weil wrote:
>>>     > I seem to remember someone telling me there were hooks/hints you
>>> could
>>>     > call that would tag either a socket or possibly data on that socket
>>> with a
>>>     > label for use by iptables and such.. but I forget what it was.
>>>     >

>>>     Something like setsockopt() SO_MARK?
>>>
>>>             *SO_MARK *(since Linux 2.6.25)
>>>                    Set the mark for each packet sent through this socket
>>>     (similar
>>>                    to the netfilter MARK target but socket-based).
>>>     Changing the
>>>                    mark can be used for mark-based routing without
>>>     netfilter or
>>>                    for packet filtering.  Setting this option requires the
>>>                    *CAP_NET_ADMIN *capability.
>>>
>>>     Alternatively, directly set IP_TOS options on the socket, or
>>> SO_PRIORITY
>>>     which sets the IP TOS bits as well.

Best,

Jian

* Re: [ceph-users] Prioritize Heartbeat packets
@ 2015-03-10  5:16             ` Robert LeBlanc
       [not found]               ` <CAANLjFrwqr-znyMSBw=wCgiVkwqRT69ud3n0yAnhWUH=PZRTTw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Robert LeBlanc @ 2015-03-10  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jian Wen; +Cc: Daniel Swarbrick, ceph-devel, ceph-users

Jian,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll mark traffic destined for the
monitors as well. We are getting ready to put our first cluster into
production. If you are interested we will be testing the heartbeat
priority to see if we can saturate the network (not an easy task for
40 Gb) and keep the cluster from falling apart. Our network team is
marking COS based on the DSCP and enforcing priority. We have three
VLANs on bonded 40 GbE, management, storage (monitors, clients, OSDs),
and cluster (replication). We have three priority classes management
(heartbeats on all VLANs, SSH, DNS, etc), storage traffic (no
marking), and replication (scavenger class). We are interested to see
how things pan out.

Thanks,
Robert

@ 2015-04-10  6:39                 ` Jian Wen
       [not found]                   ` <CAMXzGWJJpDbV0M0rtTkoRU=tSkgi3tM=x6Sy+wKhfZ=oPNy2hw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Jian Wen @ 2015-04-10  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert LeBlanc
  Cc: Daniel Swarbrick, ceph-devel, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

Robert,
    60 days ago, we enabled this feature in our production environment.
    It works for us.

    Did you see any flapping OSDs?

--
Best,

Jian

@ 2015-04-10 14:49                     ` Robert LeBlanc
From: Robert LeBlanc @ 2015-04-10 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jian Wen; +Cc: Daniel Swarbrick, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw, ceph-devel

We have had some delays. Our to be production cluster is currently on
firefly but should be on hammer next week. Once upgraded we will preform
the network saturation test and verify results.

Robert LeBlanc

Sent from a mobile device please excuse any typos.

@ 2015-04-10 17:46                   ` Robert LeBlanc
From: Robert LeBlanc @ 2015-04-10 17:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jian Wen; +Cc: Daniel Swarbrick, ceph-devel, ceph-users