* [Buildroot] How to manually download a package?
@ 2013-07-24  8:46 Woody Wu
From: Woody Wu @ 2013-07-24  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

I enabled vim, but the download site seems unreachable from my place.
But I can find the vim-7.3 from other mirror sites.  Problem is, I am
not sure how should I put my manually downloaded file and more
important, what's the package tarball file name buildroot is expecting.

Below are build error message when buildroot failed to download vim:

>>> vim 699f8d8f096d Downloading
abort: error: Network is unreachable
--2013-07-24 16:20:53--
http://sources.buildroot.net//vim-699f8d8f096d.tar.gz

Does it mean that I just need to download the vim-7.3.tar.gz and rename
it as vim-699f8xxxx.tar.gz before put it in the buildroot download
directory?

Thanks in advance.

--
I can't go back to yesterday - because I was a different person then

* [Buildroot] How to manually download a package?
@ 2013-07-24  8:54 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2013-07-24  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I enabled vim, but the download site seems unreachable from my place.
> But I can find the vim-7.3 from other mirror sites.  Problem is, I am
> not sure how should I put my manually downloaded file and more
> important, what's the package tarball file name buildroot is expecting.
>
> Below are build error message when buildroot failed to download vim:

> abort: error: Network is unreachable
> --2013-07-24 16:20:53--
> http://sources.buildroot.net//vim-699f8d8f096d.tar.gz
>
> Does it mean that I just need to download the vim-7.3.tar.gz and rename
> it as vim-699f8xxxx.tar.gz before put it in the buildroot download
> directory?

The vim package is directly downloading the sources from a mercurial repository.
This is basically 'hg clone <repo>' followed by 'hg archive -r
<revision> <tarball>'.
You could try this manually to check if you can do this in your network.

If the site is temporarily unavailable, you could take a previously
downloaded tarball from another buildroot directory.

The released vim-7.3.tar.gz is not exactly the same as the development
version. You could trick buildroot by renaming the tarball, but do
know that it's not the exact same thing.

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] How to manually download a package?
@ 2013-07-24  9:06   ` Woody Wu
From: Woody Wu @ 2013-07-24  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:54:32AM +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I enabled vim, but the download site seems unreachable from my place.
> > But I can find the vim-7.3 from other mirror sites.  Problem is, I am
> > not sure how should I put my manually downloaded file and more
> > important, what's the package tarball file name buildroot is expecting.
> >
> > Below are build error message when buildroot failed to download vim:

> > abort: error: Network is unreachable
> > --2013-07-24 16:20:53--
> > http://sources.buildroot.net//vim-699f8d8f096d.tar.gz
> >
> > Does it mean that I just need to download the vim-7.3.tar.gz and rename
> > it as vim-699f8xxxx.tar.gz before put it in the buildroot download
> > directory?
>
> The vim package is directly downloading the sources from a mercurial repository.
> This is basically 'hg clone <repo>' followed by 'hg archive -r
> <revision> <tarball>'.
> You could try this manually to check if you can do this in your network.

okay, what the <repo> should be? Is that https://vim.googlecode.com/hg ?
I found the url from vim.mk but not sure it is right.

> If the site is temporarily unavailable, you could take a previously
> downloaded tarball from another buildroot directory.
>
> The released vim-7.3.tar.gz is not exactly the same as the development
> version. You could trick buildroot by renaming the tarball, but do
> know that it's not the exact same thing.

Yes, I know there might be a little difference but I hope that's not
much.

--

@ 2013-07-24  9:09     ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2013-07-24  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:54:32AM +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:46 AM, Woody Wu <narkewoody@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > I enabled vim, but the download site seems unreachable from my place.
>> > But I can find the vim-7.3 from other mirror sites.  Problem is, I am
>> > not sure how should I put my manually downloaded file and more
>> > important, what's the package tarball file name buildroot is expecting.
>> >
>> > Below are build error message when buildroot failed to download vim:

>> > abort: error: Network is unreachable
>> > --2013-07-24 16:20:53--
>> > http://sources.buildroot.net//vim-699f8d8f096d.tar.gz
>> >
>> > Does it mean that I just need to download the vim-7.3.tar.gz and rename
>> > it as vim-699f8xxxx.tar.gz before put it in the buildroot download
>> > directory?
>>
>> The vim package is directly downloading the sources from a mercurial repository.
>> This is basically 'hg clone <repo>' followed by 'hg archive -r
>> <revision> <tarball>'.
>> You could try this manually to check if you can do this in your network.
>
> okay, what the <repo> should be? Is that https://vim.googlecode.com/hg ?
> I found the url from vim.mk but not sure it is right.

Yes, that should be correct.