* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #10: triaging proposal
@ 2014-06-14 20:02 Thomas De Schampheleire
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-06-14 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all,

This is the first part of patchwork cleanup session #10.

Quick recap:
- in this mail, a decision for a number of patches (exact number can
vary) is already proposed. Buildroot developers should provide
feedback stating their agreement/disagreement with this proposed
decision.

- patches are triaged into four categories:
    A. We want this patch and someone should refresh and resend it.
    B. We don't want this patch as it goes against Buildroot principles.
    C. We're not sure and want to know if the submitter is still
interested in pursuing this patch.
    D. We accept the problem that the patch is fixing, but the patch
can't be integrated in its current state. More work is needed, for
example on the core buildroot infrastructure. Therefore, the patch
will be added to the buildroot TODO list.

- after the brief agreement/disagreement phase, patch submitters are
notified and get two weeks to provide feedback and/or fight the
decision. Patchwork is already updated at the beginning of these two
weeks, but closed patches can always be reopened.

- during this two week cool-off period, new cleanup sessions can already start.

Triage proposal for this (short) session:

qemu: add to host utilities menu
Frank Hunleth <fhunleth@troodon-software.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299014

A accept

mono runtime porting to buildroot
Alexander Varnin <fenixk19@mail.ru>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299488

B reject/superseded
There is a newer patch that not only adds the runtime part, but also
the host part, see http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/351871/
For the same reason, I already marked
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/323246/ as Superseded.

udev: Set the default action to "add" in the startup script
Paul Cercueil <paul@crapouillou.net>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/301972

C unsure: I asked for more feedback on this patch from the community
but no feedback yet. I don't know if this is correct or not.

[1/2] uclibc: add a missing function member to siginfo.h
Vicente Olivert Riera <Vincent.Riera@imgtec.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/308384

Based on the feedback from Thomas Petazzoni on this patch, I would say:
B reject

[2/2] uclibc: Make __SIGEV_PAD_SIZE to take __WORDSIZE into account
Vicente Olivert Riera <Vincent.Riera@imgtec.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/308383

I would guess the same decision as the previous patch applies here:
B reject

[2/2] package: add paragui package
H Hartley Sweeten <hsweeten@visionengravers.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/309336

Although this package could use a good review because it has some
issues, in general we accept new packages so I would mark this as
A accept

[v2,1/1] gst-ffmpeg: add option for LGPL build
Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/312360

I assume this should be
A accept
but the patch needs review and testing I think.

Thanks for the feedback,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #10: triaging proposal
@ 2014-06-14 20:09 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-06-14 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> schreef:
(...)

>qemu: add to host utilities menu
>Frank Hunleth <fhunleth@troodon-software.com>
>http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299014
>
>A accept

Irc feedback from Thomas P: if we apply this patch
 then we should also apply http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/319108/

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #10: triaging proposal
@ 2014-06-15  5:47 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-06-15  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas De Schampheleire <patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> schreef:
>Hi all,
>
>This is the first part of patchwork cleanup session #10.
>
>Quick recap:
>- in this mail, a decision for a number of patches (exact number can
>vary) is already proposed. Buildroot developers should provide
>feedback stating their agreement/disagreement with this proposed
>decision.

(Seems I violated the protocol and already included the patch submitters in this mail, for now they do not need to do anything)

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #10: triaging proposal
@ 2014-06-28 18:45 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-06-28 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

All,

On Sat, Jun 14, 2014 at 10:02 PM, Thomas De Schampheleire
<patrickdepinguin@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> B reject
>

> [2/2] uclibc: Make __SIGEV_PAD_SIZE to take __WORDSIZE into account
> Vicente Olivert Riera <Vincent.Riera@imgtec.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/308383
>
> I would guess the same decision as the previous patch applies here:
> B reject
>

> [2/2] package: add paragui package
> H Hartley Sweeten <hsweeten@visionengravers.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/309336
>
> Although this package could use a good review because it has some
> issues, in general we accept new packages so I would mark this as
> A accept
>

> [v2,1/1] gst-ffmpeg: add option for LGPL build
> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/312360
>
> I assume this should be
> A accept
> but the patch needs review and testing I think.

Your feedback on this triaging proposal is still welcome.
If no further feedback, I will proceed with the triaging as above...

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #10: triaging proposal
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-06-28 20:08 ` Thomas Petazzoni
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-06-28 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,

On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 22:02:31 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

> Triage proposal for this (short) session:
>
> qemu: add to host utilities menu
> Frank Hunleth <fhunleth@troodon-software.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299014
>
> A accept

If this gets applied, it needs to go together with
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/319108/. However, I'd like to see a
solution that merges the existing qemu package with the qemu-system
package proposed by Gustavo.

> mono runtime porting to buildroot
> Alexander Varnin <fenixk19@mail.ru>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299488
>
> B reject/superseded
> There is a newer patch that not only adds the runtime part, but also
> the host part, see http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/351871/
> For the same reason, I already marked
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/323246/ as Superseded.

ACK, so this has already been done, and you don't need more feedback
about 299488, right?

> udev: Set the default action to "add" in the startup script
> Paul Cercueil <paul@crapouillou.net>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/301972
>
> C unsure: I asked for more feedback on this patch from the community
> but no feedback yet. I don't know if this is correct or not.

Same thing here. Unfortunately, Paul rarely gives any feedback about
the patches he posts, so they often become abandoned in patchwork. Not
much we can do about it, unfortunately.

> [1/2] uclibc: add a missing function member to siginfo.h
> Vicente Olivert Riera <Vincent.Riera@imgtec.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/308384
>
> Based on the feedback from Thomas Petazzoni on this patch, I would say:
> B reject

Well, maybe we should just apply it, and make rt-tests available on
mips/uclibc for internal toolchains, and keep it disabled for external
toolchains. Unfortunately, in the autobuilders, we mainly test external
toolchains, so we're not giving to test rt-tests much. So I still have
a mixed opinion about such patches. But the uClibc release process is
dead...

> [2/2] uclibc: Make __SIGEV_PAD_SIZE to take __WORDSIZE into account
> Vicente Olivert Riera <Vincent.Riera@imgtec.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/308383
>
> I would guess the same decision as the previous patch applies here:
> B reject

Yeah, same problem. Maybe my previous opinion is wrong, and we should
just patch Buildroot's uClibc as needed, and not exclude all
problematic packages from being used with an external uClibc toolchain.

> [2/2] package: add paragui package
> H Hartley Sweeten <hsweeten@visionengravers.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/309336
>
> Although this package could use a good review because it has some
> issues, in general we accept new packages so I would mark this as
> A accept

To be honest, I started having a look at this package, and I continue
to believe that's it's a totally unmaintained GUI toolkit, with very
few users, and apparently not a very strong effort to push it from the
original contributor. So I'd prefer to simply reject the patch.

> [v2,1/1] gst-ffmpeg: add option for LGPL build
> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/312360
>
> I assume this should be
> A accept
> but the patch needs review and testing I think.

No opinion on this one, I don't do much gst stuff.

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #10: triaging proposal
@ 2014-06-29  8:35   ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-06-29  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your feedback!

On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 10:08 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,
>
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 22:02:31 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>
>> Triage proposal for this (short) session:
>>
>> qemu: add to host utilities menu
>> Frank Hunleth <fhunleth@troodon-software.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299014
>>
>> A accept
>
> If this gets applied, it needs to go together with
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/319108/. However, I'd like to see a
> solution that merges the existing qemu package with the qemu-system
> package proposed by Gustavo.

That's fine too. In this case we should mark it as D and add it to the
Buildroot TODO list. Maybe Gustavo could look into it...

>> mono runtime porting to buildroot
>> Alexander Varnin <fenixk19@mail.ru>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299488
>>
>> B reject/superseded
>> There is a newer patch that not only adds the runtime part, but also
>> the host part, see http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/351871/
>> For the same reason, I already marked
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/323246/ as Superseded.
>
> ACK, so this has already been done, and you don't need more feedback
> about 299488, right?

For 299488 the Superseding hasn't been done yet, but I'll do it.

>> udev: Set the default action to "add" in the startup script
>> Paul Cercueil <paul@crapouillou.net>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/301972
>>
>> C unsure: I asked for more feedback on this patch from the community
>> but no feedback yet. I don't know if this is correct or not.
>
> Same thing here. Unfortunately, Paul rarely gives any feedback about
> the patches he posts, so they often become abandoned in patchwork. Not
> much we can do about it, unfortunately.
>
>> [1/2] uclibc: add a missing function member to siginfo.h
>> Vicente Olivert Riera <Vincent.Riera@imgtec.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/308384
>>
>> Based on the feedback from Thomas Petazzoni on this patch, I would say:
>> B reject
>
> Well, maybe we should just apply it, and make rt-tests available on
> mips/uclibc for internal toolchains, and keep it disabled for external
> toolchains. Unfortunately, in the autobuilders, we mainly test external
> toolchains, so we're not giving to test rt-tests much. So I still have
> a mixed opinion about such patches. But the uClibc release process is
> dead...
>
>> [2/2] uclibc: Make __SIGEV_PAD_SIZE to take __WORDSIZE into account
>> Vicente Olivert Riera <Vincent.Riera@imgtec.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/308383
>>
>> I would guess the same decision as the previous patch applies here:
>> B reject
>
> Yeah, same problem. Maybe my previous opinion is wrong, and we should
> just patch Buildroot's uClibc as needed, and not exclude all
> problematic packages from being used with an external uClibc toolchain.

but then they'll continue to fail with external toolchains, right?

>> [2/2] package: add paragui package
>> H Hartley Sweeten <hsweeten@visionengravers.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/309336
>>
>> Although this package could use a good review because it has some
>> issues, in general we accept new packages so I would mark this as
>> A accept
>
> To be honest, I started having a look at this package, and I continue
> to believe that's it's a totally unmaintained GUI toolkit, with very
> few users, and apparently not a very strong effort to push it from the
> original contributor. So I'd prefer to simply reject the patch.

That is also fine by me. I haven't looked into the upstream, actually.

So current proposal is B reject, if anyone objects then speak up!

>> [v2,1/1] gst-ffmpeg: add option for LGPL build
>> Danomi Manchego <danomimanchego123@gmail.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/312360
>>
>> I assume this should be
>> A accept
>> but the patch needs review and testing I think.
>
> No opinion on this one, I don't do much gst stuff.

OK, no problem.

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Patchwork cleanup #10: triaging proposal
@ 2014-06-29  9:01     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-06-29  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Sun, 29 Jun 2014 10:35:06 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:

> > If this gets applied, it needs to go together with
> > http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/319108/. However, I'd like to see a
> > solution that merges the existing qemu package with the qemu-system
> > package proposed by Gustavo.
>
> That's fine too. In this case we should mark it as D and add it to the
> Buildroot TODO list. Maybe Gustavo could look into it...

I think Gustavo is not that much interested into merging his
qemu-system package with the existing qemu package. We had a bit of
discussion about this a few weeks ago, and it seems like someone else
needs to step up and offer a proper patch series based on Frank patches
for qemu user, and Gustavo patches for qemu system.

> >> I would guess the same decision as the previous patch applies here:
> >> B reject
> >
> > Yeah, same problem. Maybe my previous opinion is wrong, and we should
> > just patch Buildroot's uClibc as needed, and not exclude all
> > problematic packages from being used with an external uClibc toolchain.
>
> but then they'll continue to fail with external toolchains, right?

Well, we would not allow the selection of the problematic packages with
external uClibc toolchains. It's sad because it means people building a
toolchain with Buildroot and then re-using it as an external toolchain
will no longer be able to build certain packages.

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2014-06-30  7:44   ` Paul Cercueil
From: Paul Cercueil @ 2014-06-30  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Thomas,

On 06/28/2014 10:08 PM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,
>
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 22:02:31 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>
>> Triage proposal for this (short) session:
>>
>> qemu: add to host utilities menu
>> Frank Hunleth <fhunleth@troodon-software.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299014
>>
>> A accept
>
> If this gets applied, it needs to go together with
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/319108/. However, I'd like to see a
> solution that merges the existing qemu package with the qemu-system
> package proposed by Gustavo.
>
>> mono runtime porting to buildroot
>> Alexander Varnin <fenixk19@mail.ru>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299488
>>
>> B reject/superseded
>> There is a newer patch that not only adds the runtime part, but also
>> the host part, see http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/351871/
>> For the same reason, I already marked
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/323246/ as Superseded.
>
> ACK, so this has already been done, and you don't need more feedback
> about 299488, right?
>
>> udev: Set the default action to "add" in the startup script
>> Paul Cercueil <paul@crapouillou.net>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/301972
>>
>> C unsure: I asked for more feedback on this patch from the community
>> but no feedback yet. I don't know if this is correct or not.
>
> Same thing here. Unfortunately, Paul rarely gives any feedback about
> the patches he posts, so they often become abandoned in patchwork. Not
> much we can do about it, unfortunately.

Sorry about that :/ I don't have internet at home anymore for more than
one month now so it's not ideal. I will double-check this patch tomorrow
to be sure that the fix belongs there.

@ 2014-07-02  9:01   ` Paul Cercueil
From: Paul Cercueil @ 2014-07-02  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Thomas,

On 06/28/2014 10:08 PM, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Dear Thomas De Schampheleire,
>
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2014 22:02:31 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire wrote:
>
>> Triage proposal for this (short) session:
>>
>> qemu: add to host utilities menu
>> Frank Hunleth <fhunleth@troodon-software.com>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299014
>>
>> A accept
>
> If this gets applied, it needs to go together with
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/319108/. However, I'd like to see a
> solution that merges the existing qemu package with the qemu-system
> package proposed by Gustavo.
>
>> mono runtime porting to buildroot
>> Alexander Varnin <fenixk19@mail.ru>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/299488
>>
>> B reject/superseded
>> There is a newer patch that not only adds the runtime part, but also
>> the host part, see http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/351871/
>> For the same reason, I already marked
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/323246/ as Superseded.
>
> ACK, so this has already been done, and you don't need more feedback
> about 299488, right?
>
>> udev: Set the default action to "add" in the startup script
>> Paul Cercueil <paul@crapouillou.net>
>> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/301972
>>
>> C unsure: I asked for more feedback on this patch from the community
>> but no feedback yet. I don't know if this is correct or not.

So I verified it today, and I can say for sure that the patch is valid.
Without it, all the udev rules specified with the ACTION="add" token
(which are meant to be executed when the corresponding module is loaded)
are never executed, as the default action is set to ACTION="change".