* [Buildroot] Buildroot 2020.02 released
@ 2020-03-09  7:26 Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2020-03-09  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

Buildroot 2020.02 is released - Go download it at:

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2020.02.tar.gz

or

http://buildroot.net/downloads/buildroot-2020.02.tar.bz2

Or get it from Git:

git://git.buildroot.net/buildroot

Please give it a spin and report any problems to the mailing list or
bug tracker.

Again a very active development cycle with more than 1600 changes and
contributions from more than 120 unique contributors!

Of noteworthy new features/changes we have:

- Add experimental support for building with a per-package target and
  host directory. This still has some rough edges, but brings a number
  of advantages:

  - Packages will only be able to access the explicitly listed
    dependencies and not any other packages that happen to be built
    before, ensuring correct dependency information in Buildroot.

  - Possibility for top-level parallel builds, speeding up builds on
    multicore machines.

- Architecture: Add support for ARC-HS38 with 64bit multiplier variant,
  allow building glibc for big endian ARC, handle 16KB MMU page size for
  ARC in toolchain wrapper.

- Toolchain: Add binutils 2.33.1, GCC 7.5.0, Arm 9.2-2019.12 toolchains,
  ARC 2019.09 toolchain. Allow using custom kernel headers newer than
  what is known by Buildroot.

- pkg-stats: Support for CVE vulnerability reporting by comparing to NVD
  database.

- Util-linux: Ensure that hwclock is built without GPLv3 code. Notice
  that builds with hwclock has contained GPLv3-licensed code since
  util-linux 2.30 (Buildroot 2017.08+)

- New defconfigs: Beelink GS1, Raspberrypi4 64bit

- New packages: alura, avro-c, bubblewrap, cctz, cereal, qcpuburn-arm,
  elixir, erlang-base64url, erlang-idna, erlang-jose, erlang-p1-acme,
  erlang-p1-mqtree, erlang-p1-yconf, fluid-soundfont, fluidsynth,
  gcnano-binaries, gensio, glslsandbox-player, libargon2,
  libmodsecurity, libpam-nfc, libtelnet, lua-codegen, lua-livr,
  lua-livr-extra, lua-rotas, lua-silva, mfoc, network-manager-openvpn,
  nginx-modsecurity, perl-crypt-openssl-aes, perl-math-prime-util,
  pipewire, ptm2human, python-aenum, python-aiohttp-debugtoolbar,
  python-aiohttp-mako, python-aiologstash, python-aiosignal,
  python-aiozipkin, python-async-lru, python-avro, python-bunch,
  python-crontab, python-dnspython, python-entrypoints, python-esptool,
  python-frozenlist, python-future, python-gitdb, python-janus,
  python-lockfile, python-logstash, python-nested-dict, python-pbr,
  python-pyaes, python-pydantic, python-smmap2, python-sockjs,
  python-zc-lockfile, raspi-gpio, rocksdb, sdbusplus, spidermonkey,
  thermald, ti-sgx-libgbm, tinyssh, tio, umtprd, weston-imx,
  wireguard-linux-compat, wireguard-tools, xdg-dbus-proxy

And the usual package version updates and bug fixes. See the CHANGES
file for details:

http://git.buildroot.net/buildroot/plain/CHANGES?id=2020.02

Upgrading from 2019.02.x:

In addition to these changes, for people upgrading from 2019.02.x the
most noteworthy changes since that release are:

- Dependencies: Gcc/g++ 4.8 or newer is now required on the build host.

- Br2-external: Add support for injecting additional options to the list
  of preconfigured external toolchains and libjpeg and openssl providers
  using files under provides/. See the manual for details.

- Br2-external: Linux kernel extensions can now also be provided in an
  external tree by adding packages under linux/linux-ext-*.mk. See the
  manual for details.

- Infrastructure: show-info and <pkg>-show-info make targets
  added to output package metadata in JSON format for external
  use.

- Fakeroot now works correctly under Microsoft Windows 10 Services for
  Linux, which does not provide SYSV IPC support

- Removed packages: alljoyn, alljoyn-base, alljoyn-tcl-base,
  bluez_utils, celt051, devmem2, erlang-p1-iconv, eventlog, fis,
  gadgetfs-test, gstreamer, gst-ffmpeg, gst-fsl-plugins, gst-omapfb,
  gst-plugins-bad, gst-plugins-base, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-ugly,
  kodi-audiodecoder-opus, kodi-screensaver-planestate,
  kodi-visualisation-waveforhue, libamcodec, libplayer, libump, lunit,
  odroid-mali, odroid-scripts, perl-digest-md5, perl-mime-base64,
  perl-net-ping, python-pysnmp-apps, python-scapy3k, riscv-pk, sunxi-mali,
  ustr, wireguard, xapp_mkfontdir

Future:

This release will be become our new long term support releases, which
means it will be supported with security and other important fixes until
2021.02 is out. The previous 2019.02.x LTS release will see atleast one
more update before it becomes EOL in April, so start migration to
2020.02 soon.

The next release will be 2020.05. Expect the first release candidate
in early May and the final release at the end of the month.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Buildroot 2020.02 released
@ 2020-03-09 17:32 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2020-03-09 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 08:27 Peter Korsgaard <peter@korsgaard.com> wrote:

> [...]
>   gst-plugins-bad, gst-plugins-base, gst-plugins-good, gst-plugins-ugly,
>   kodi-audiodecoder-opus, kodi-screensaver-planestate,
>   kodi-visualisation-waveforhue, libamcodec, libplayer, libump, lunit,
>   odroid-mali, odroid-scripts, perl-digest-md5, perl-mime-base64,
>   perl-net-ping, python-pysnmp-apps, python-scapy3k, riscv-pk, sunxi-mali,
>   ustr, wireguard, xapp_mkfontdir
>
> Future:
>
> This release will be become our new long term support releases, which
> means it will be supported with security and other important fixes until
> 2021.02 is out. The previous 2019.02.x LTS release will see atleast one
> more update before it becomes EOL in April, so start migration to
> 2020.02 soon.
>
> The next release will be 2020.05. Expect the first release candidate
> in early May and the final release at the end of the month.

Is it intentional that the usual contributor and reviewer list is not
present?

Best regards,
Thomas
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Buildroot 2020.02 released
@ 2020-03-09 21:13   ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2020-03-09 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

 > Hello,
 > On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 08:27 Peter Korsgaard <peter@korsgaard.com> wrote:

 > Is it intentional that the usual contributor and reviewer list is not
 > present?

Not really. It was late yesterday, but also because I used the 2019.02
release notes as a template for the mail, and we also didn't added the
list of contributers there:

http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2019-March/244273.html

I am a bit concerned about the length of the announcement mail, as there
is quite a bit of info in it, but if it is useful then I can certainly
try to remember to add it in the future.

Anyway, here's the list of contributors for 2020.02, thanks to everyone!

   363	Fabrice Fontaine
   118	Peter Korsgaard
   101	Bernd Kuhls
    73	Heiko Thiery
    70	Thomas Petazzoni
    58	James Hilliard
    54	Adam Duskett
    53	Peter Seiderer
    46	Yann E. MORIN
    43	Romain Naour
    40	Francois Perrad
    37	Giulio Benetti
    31	Mark Corbin
    29	Pierre-Jean Texier
    27	Pascal de Bruijn
    26	Johan Oudinet
    26	Titouan Christophe
    19	Carlos Santos
    17	Angelo Compagnucci
    16	Julien Olivain
    15	J?rg Krause
    14	Matt Weber
    14	Thomas De Schampheleire
    13	J?r?my Rosen
    13	Yegor Yefremov
    12	Bartosz Bilas
    12	Fabio Estevam
    11	Adrian Perez de Castro
    11	Asaf Kahlon
    11	Gilles Talis
    10	Sergey Matyukevich
     9	Christian Stewart
     9	Grzegorz Blach
     9	Louis Aussedat
     8	Arnout Vandecappelle (Essensium/Mind)
     8	Gwenhael Goavec-Merou
     7	Aleksander Morgado
     7	Paul Cercueil
     7	Ryan Coe
     6	Baruch Siach
     5	Frank Vanbever
     5	Luca Ceresoli
     5	Refik Tuzakli
     4	Arthur Courtel
     4	Eugen Hristev
     4	Jens Kleintje
     4	Lothar Felten
     4	Michael Vetter
     4	Petr Vorel
     4	Sergio Prado
     3	Alexey Brodkin
     3	Alexey Lukyanchuk
     3	Alistair Francis
     3	Ash Charles
     3	Bartosz Golaszewski
     3	Evgeniy Didin
     3	Jan Kiszka
     3	Jan Kotas
     3	Jan Kundr?t
     3	Joris Offouga
     3	Maeva Manuel
     3	Max Filippov
     3	Mircea Gliga
     3	Nicolas Cavallari
     3	Viktar Palstsiuk
     3	Vineet Gupta
     2	Alexander Lukichev
     2	Alexandre PAYEN
     2	Andr? Hentschel
     2	Christian Kellermann
     2	Cl?ment P?ron
     2	Dario Binacchi
     2	Gary Bisson
     2	Gervais, Francois
     2	Joel Stanley
     2	Marcus Folkesson
     2	Michael Fischer
     2	Michael Walle
     2	Patrick Havelange
     2	Ricardo Martincoski
     2	Ryan Barnett
     2	Thomas Preston
     2	Yi Zheng
     1	Adrien Grassein
     1	Alex Michel
     1	Alifer Moraes
     1	Andreas Naumann
     1	Atharva Lele
     1	Benjamin Kamath
     1	Chris Packham
     1	Christopher McCrory
     1	Clayton Shotwell
     1	Dan Walkes
     1	David Owens
     1	Eric Le Bihan
     1	Francois Gervais
     1	Gabriel Potter
     1	Ignacy Gaw?dzki
     1	Ismael Luceno
     1	James Byrne
     1	Jared Bents
     1	Jerry Huang
     1	John Faith
     1	John Keeping
     1	Julien Grossholtz
     1	Koen Martens
     1	Laurent Cans
     1	Louis Rannou
     1	Luc Creti
     1	Markus Mayer
     1	Max Berger
     1	Michael Drake
     1	Min Xu
     1	Nathaniel Roach
     1	Nicola Di Lieto
     1	Nicolas Carrier
     1	Nikita Sobolev
     1	Pedro Jardim
     1	Philippe Reynes
     1	Sam Bobroff
     1	Santosh Multhalli
     1	Schenk Michael
     1	Simon Rowe
     1	Tom Marcuzzi
     1	Tudor Holton
     1	Vadim Kochan
     1	Vincent Fazio
     1	Wesley Chow
     1	Zoltan Gyarmati

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard

* [Buildroot] Buildroot 2020.02 released
@ 2020-03-10 10:17     ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2020-03-10 10:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

El lun., 9 mar. 2020 a las 22:13, Peter Korsgaard
(<peter@korsgaard.com>) escribi?:

>  > Hello,
>  > On Mon, Mar 9, 2020, 08:27 Peter Korsgaard <peter@korsgaard.com> wrote:
>
>  > Is it intentional that the usual contributor and reviewer list is not
>  > present?
>
> Not really. It was late yesterday, but also because I used the 2019.02
> release notes as a template for the mail, and we also didn't added the
> list of contributers there:
>
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2019-March/244273.html
>
> I am a bit concerned about the length of the announcement mail, as there
> is quite a bit of info in it, but if it is useful then I can certainly
> try to remember to add it in the future.

Ok, I had checked the 2019.11 release announcement and the list was
present there.

I have always found this list a good way for community building: it
clearly shows that Buildroot has a large amount of contributors, and
developers in the list get some positive reinforcement about having
contributed. This reinforcement is good for the developer themself,
but could also be relevant for their surroundings like an employer or
peers.

In the same way I quite liked the list of reviewers/ackers/testers as
it encourages people to spend time on these tasks too.

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Buildroot 2020.02 released
@ 2020-03-10 10:42       ` Peter Korsgaard
From: Peter Korsgaard @ 2020-03-10 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

 >> I am a bit concerned about the length of the announcement mail, as there
 >> is quite a bit of info in it, but if it is useful then I can certainly
 >> try to remember to add it in the future.
 >>

 > Ok, I had checked the 2019.11 release announcement and the list was
 > present there.

 > I have always found this list a good way for community building: it
 > clearly shows that Buildroot has a large amount of contributors, and
 > developers in the list get some positive reinforcement about having
 > contributed. This reinforcement is good for the developer themself,
 > but could also be relevant for their surroundings like an employer or
 > peers.

 > In the same way I quite liked the list of reviewers/ackers/testers as
 > it encourages people to spend time on these tasks too.

I agree. I will try to remember always including it in future release
notifications.

--
Bye, Peter Korsgaard